Walter McCarty

Discussions of all the Aces sports
ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Re: Walter McCarty

Postby ncace » Wed Mar 28, 2018 5:00 pm

Thanks for the welcome. As usual, Aces fans are gracious and well-informed. Since I follow UE from afar, I don't get the news as quickly as most. The blog is helpful for me, to supplement my 2-3 games at Ford per year, plus a couple of ESPN3 telecasts. We are ALL pulling for Walter, and I'm sure he's trying to underpromise and outperform. The MVC will be VERY competitive next year. There will be NO gimmies, even for Loyola. I'm happy for them, but nothing would please me more than for our Aces to bring them back to earth next season.

Now, if Walter can come up with 5 TOUGH, smart, well-conditioned kids that can supplement those coming back, WE could be very pleasantly surprised. If he keeps Dru, and he leads like we know he can, we can sneak up on a few teams and maybe be in shape for a run at Arch Madness.

All wishes and hopes, of course, but isn't that why we are invested in this program?

acefan
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1962

Postby acefan » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:00 pm

Does Coach McCarty have a wife and kids? I don't think I've heard or read a thing about family. Details please.

211N-69
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 211N-69 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:05 pm

acefan wrote:Does Coach McCarty have a wife and kids? I don't think I've heard or read a thing about family. Details please.

I think I read that he has a teenaged son. Without looking into it, that's all I know.

rpyke
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 2003

Postby rpyke » Wed Mar 28, 2018 9:26 pm

acefan wrote:Does Coach McCarty have a wife and kids? I don't think I've heard or read a thing about family. Details please.

Walter and his wife Erin have two daughters.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:53 pm

TN_Ace wrote:"Coach Mac" (That's my name for him) interview with Chris Mannix of Yahoo! Sports
https://art19.com/shows/vertical-chris- ... b1a7610638

Very informative interview with coach Mac. Thanks for sharing.

ncace
Road Tripper

Postby ncace » Sun Apr 01, 2018 10:21 am

Anyone hear details about Walter's comp package? Hopefully a lot more competitive than Marty's.

I realize that private schools aren't required to disclose, and we are a small school too, but we still have to be competitive.

Tks

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Sun Apr 01, 2018 11:55 am

ncace wrote:Anyone hear details about Walter's comp package? Hopefully a lot more competitive than Marty's.

I realize that private schools aren't required to disclose, and we are a small school too, but we still have to be competitive.

Tks

I have heard enough from Spencer and others that we have plenty of resources to get this right. It was obviously enough to get him from the Celtics, and I am sure there will be plenty of incentives kicking in if he starts winning, and putting rears in the seats.

I don't understand the competitive comments about Marty. It was pretty well confirmed that Marty was in excess of $300K after his last extension. That's not the lowest in the Valley, and frankly, that is more than generous compensation for how he performed.

ncace
Road Tripper

Postby ncace » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:12 pm

A March 2017 article from Des Moines (when Medved signed with Drake) said that their survey of MVC comp. indicated a median salary of $401,200. Perhaps that is right, and perhaps not. You clearly have better insight and knowledge of the MVC salary situation. I know that NIU and Ill. St. pay more than the $400k number, and Wardle at Bradley reportedly had a "similar" (but probably a bit lower) deal than Geno Ford, who was in the $700k range. IN St. is probably lowest, and SIU and Mo. St. are about the median, as is Loyola. Valpo has a new guy, and like UE, they don't reveal details, even to the extent Drake and Bradley do. However, I suspect that they are below the median, similar to the $300k area where Marty was.

I agree about Marty, and I am happy we've chosen to make a commitment to upgrade the program, including competitive pay for our new head coach, as well as assistants.

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:28 pm

ncace wrote:A March 2017 article from Des Moines (when Medved signed with Drake) said that their survey of MVC comp. indicated a median salary of $401,200. Perhaps that is right, and perhaps not. You clearly have better insight and knowledge of the MVC salary situation. I know that NIU and Ill. St. pay more than the $400k number, and Wardle at Bradley reportedly had a "similar" (but probably a bit lower) deal than Geno Ford, who was in the $700k range. IN St. is probably lowest, and SIU and Mo. St. are about the median, as is Loyola. Valpo has a new guy, and like UE, they don't reveal details, even to the extent Drake and Bradley do. However, I suspect that they are below the median, similar to the $300k area where Marty was.

I agree about Marty, and I am happy we've chosen to make a commitment to upgrade the program, including competitive pay for our new head coach, as well as assistants.

Didn't know NIU joined the conference and replaced UNI. Know the right names. UE is the most abused letter team (EU) in the MVC by the trolls and idiots on MVCfans. No need to give any of them ammunition.

ncace
Road Tripper

Postby ncace » Sun Apr 01, 2018 1:42 pm

Stand corrected. Yes, I've seen the references to Evansville, IL, rather than IN, and it IS annoying.

Return to “The Aces”