Assistant coaches

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Atlanta Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Re: Assistant coaches

Postby Atlanta Ace » Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:48 pm

AcesHigh wrote:I read an article just a few days ago about one of the top rated recruits who said he committed to a particular P5 school because the head coach played in the NBA and would know how to get him there.

McCarty and his staff certainly have coaching experience, connections and the ability to move a player to the next level. Recruits who want to play professionally don’t really care so much as to what school they attend as most schools can provide a quality education. They want to know where they can go to have their needs met.

In the past I have stated that I didn’t believe the UE Administration were concerned about D1 basketball and would reduce the program to match the financial conditions.

It appears that UE is going to follow the model that made schools like Butler and Gonzaga national powers and will grab for the golden ring. They now have the facilities, they have the coaches and the fans seem willing to come back. At least a large number have poked their noses under the tent.

The only piece missing are the new recruits. I don’t expect McCarty to hit a home run in his first at bat, but I believe a lot of teams are going to be really worried about playing the Aces this Summer. The Valley coaches won’t know what to do about their Offensive and Defensive alignments for some time to come.

It’s time to get behind Coach McCarty and his staff and let them work their magic.

^^^^
This.
Let's get this McCarty Party started.

211N-69
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 211N-69 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:24 pm

83Ace wrote:
211N-69 wrote:
AcesHigh wrote:I read an article just a few days ago about one of the top rated recruits who said he committed to a particular P5 school because the head coach played in the NBA and would know how to get him there.

McCarty and his staff certainly have coaching experience, connections and the ability to move a player to the next level. Recruits who want to play professionally don’t really care so much as to what school they attend as most schools can provide a quality education. They want to know where they can go to have their needs met.

In the past I have stated that I didn’t believe the UE Administration were concerned about D1 basketball and would reduce the program to match the financial conditions.

It appears that UE is going to follow the model that made schools like Butler and Gonzaga national powers and will grab for the golden ring. They now have the facilities, they have the coaches and the fans seem willing to come back. At least a large number have poked their noses under the tent.

The only piece missing are the new recruits. I don’t expect McCarty to hit a home run in his first at bat, but I believe a lot of teams are going to be really worried about playing the Aces this Summer. The Valley coaches won’t know what to do about their Offensive and Defensive alignments for some time to come.

It’s time to get behind Coach McCarty and his staff and let them work their magic.

Yeah Io

Early on, I made a comment on one of these boards about UE being one of the "top 25" programs in the country. Overstated, yeah ... if you say all 16 teams in the ACC take up most of that listing and the 14 in the B1G or the Big 12 get the rest of it. But that really isn't the same thing. Schools like Gonzaga, Butler, Xavier, Wichita and Creighton are in the national conversation every year.They contend. Loyola has joined that group.

Iowa State and Northwestern are NOT in the conversation so that was the point. It's not the conference, it's the program.

It would be a long crawl if they don't at least assume that it's possible. And it's not a sellout either. Valpo, where I live, hasn't sold out. They also believed they could jump to the Valley, and in 2 years, they will be a contender. They usually are. The Aces need to be in the top 3 in the MVC, not the bottom 4.

Iowa State? Where did that come from? (I live in Ames). Before this year, they had been to the tournament 6 years in a row, won 3 of last 4 Big 12 tournaments, and been in the top 25 for a few years running. And Hilton Colisuem is pretty well sold out. They are not a Kansas or Duke, but they are not a Northwestern either. I get your point that not all P5 schools are basketball powers, but Penn State or Rutgers or Nebraska or Boston College or Pitt would have been a better example of recent mediocrity.

Yeah Iowa State just came to mind. My neighbor is a Clone so I hassle him some about it. OK, I will slide Rutgers in there along with Washington State, how's that? Anyway, it was really not something I thought I'd take to court for direct evidence of a crime.

83Ace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1968

Postby 83Ace » Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:58 pm

211N-69 wrote:Yeah Iowa State just came to mind. My neighbor is a Clone so I hassle him some about it. OK, I will slide Rutgers in there along with Washington State, how's that? Anyway, it was really not something I thought I'd take to court for direct evidence of a crime.

Fair enough. And if UE can only reach Iowa State's level, I will be pretty happy.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Fri Apr 13, 2018 6:39 pm

Well, we got the coaches we need, and they look like a good group. Now we need to get the players. Maybe not all we need this year, but hopefully in the near future. It looks like the Aces are serious about getting back in the race, and I bet some extra money has come from somewhere to get this staff together.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:28 pm

acecard wrote:Well, we got the coaches we need, and they look like a good group. Now we need to get the players. Maybe not all we need this year, but hopefully in the near future. It looks like the Aces are serious about getting back in the race, and I bet some extra money has come from somewhere to get this staff together.

I think everything as many of us on this forum could have dreamed of is coming true.
1. Change of coaches
2. Hiring of Walter
3. Hiring of entirely new assistant coaching group
4. New President (and the wife) who loves basketball (a positive, not knocking the President by this statement)

...fans are speaking of their approval by opening up their wallets to buy season tickets and probably making donations to get things going.

I agree things are really looking up. Get the recruits in, start playing a more up tempo style, starting playing better teams, start winning some games vs decent teams and Aces fans will again come out and back the team even if many do not like going downtown. Some may never go to The Ford, fine. You are going to really miss out in the years to come.

It's a great time to be an Aces fan.

Go Aces !!

stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Fri Apr 13, 2018 9:58 pm

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:
acecard wrote:Well, we got the coaches we need, and they look like a good group. Now we need to get the players. Maybe not all we need this year, but hopefully in the near future. It looks like the Aces are serious about getting back in the race, and I bet some extra money has come from somewhere to get this staff together.

I think everything as many of us on this forum could have dreamed of is coming true.
1. Change of coaches
2. Hiring of Walter
3. Hiring of entirely new assistant coaching group
4. New President (and the wife) who loves basketball (a positive, not knocking the President by this statement)

...fans are speaking of their approval by opening up their wallets to buy season tickets and probably making donations to get things going.

I agree things are really looking up. Get the recruits in, start playing a more up tempo style, starting playing better teams, start winning some games vs decent teams and Aces fans will again come out and back the team even if many do not like going downtown. Some may never go to The Ford, fine. You are going to really miss out in the years to come.

It's a great time to be an Aces fan.

Go Aces !!

Yes!

acefan
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1962

Postby acefan » Mon Apr 16, 2018 12:15 pm

Does anyone have any information regarding when all the assistant coaches will relocated in Evansville? Are any of them here now?

PurpleAces
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1980

Postby PurpleAces » Tue Apr 17, 2018 6:55 pm

C&P: No 'hidden agendas' for UE assistant hires

https://www.courierpress.com/story/spor ... 524263002/

rpyke
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 2003

Postby rpyke » Fri May 18, 2018 10:23 pm

Here's also another read with some great quotes from Coach Lickliter. Really, really glad we were able to land him as an assistant coach. Also excited to see his vision with our program.

https://gopurpleaces.com/news/2018/5/16 ... tball.aspx

Return to “The Aces”