New recruit signings

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Re: New recruit signings

Postby Tom Servo » Fri May 18, 2018 9:08 am

Last few posts..spot on. It's amazing what has happened, signing all these guys in the spring. Given what we've witnessed in the spring the last few years, this is nothing short of amazing!
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

wildbill
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1975

Postby wildbill » Fri May 18, 2018 9:14 am

As a lifetime fan of this program, I am more excited than ever. I think Mr. McCarty is bringing a new level to us, and we haven't even began. I like what our team looks like on paper, although I would like to get that 7 foot Silva kid from California. I imagine given more time to recruit, the classes of the future could look tremendous.
:x The Boys Are Coming Back :lol:

ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Fri May 18, 2018 9:35 am

Would not be surprised to see us get one more. It might not be Silva or Hankton, although I like Silva's size and Hankton's versatility. It could be a late D1/D2 borderline, preferred walk-on with hoops IQ, toughness and attitude. There are still a few academy kids and undecideds that are looking for a D1 spot, and it's clear that Walt and staff know how they want to spend their remaining recruiting "capital." They won't take just anyone at this point, but rather a solid guy who "fits."

rpyke
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 2003

Postby rpyke » Wed Jul 11, 2018 4:49 pm

Nice article on DeAndre. I really think this young man is gonna be a special player for us.

https://gopurpleaces.com/news/2018/7/10 ... liams.aspx

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Wed Jul 11, 2018 7:39 pm

Here’s a similar GoPurpleaces.com article on Shea Feehan from five days ago:

https://gopurpleaces.com/news/2018/7/6/mens-basketball-shea-feehan-feels-right-at-home-in-evansville.aspx

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:46 am

Austin Ace wrote:Here’s a similar GoPurpleaces.com article on Shea Feehan from five days ago:

https://gopurpleaces.com/news/2018/7/6/mens-basketball-shea-feehan-feels-right-at-home-in-evansville.aspx

I think Feehan is going to play a huge part for the Aces. He is a five year player, and has played very well against D1 teams in his career. He can play either the point, or shooting guard positions, and is one of those type players who can drive the other team crazy when he gets hot. I think he is going to quickly become a fan favorite with his hustle, and ability.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Jul 12, 2018 11:44 am

rpyke wrote:Nice article on DeAndre. I really think this young man is gonna be a special player for us.

https://gopurpleaces.com/news/2018/7/10 ... liams.aspx

Agree. If Walter thinks this young man can become one of the best to ever put on an Aces uniform then who am I to disagree. From what I have seen, and read, about him I think he going to be an all conference player.

Ace78
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Ace78 » Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:05 pm

I agree with Acecard on his view of Shea's leadership and basketball skills. I think his experience will really be valuable to this year's team.

Some additional observations: I think it will be very interesting to see some of UE's matchups with other MVC teams. I know he is just a freshman, but a possible matchup between DeAndre Williams and ISUr's Yarbrough will be fun to watch.

KJ looks like he has made tremendous strides in the workout videos I observed. I'd like to congratulate him on all the hard work he has invested! I'm sure all of the team has worked hard this summer. Their enthusiasm is clearly evident in Aces Insider videos and interviews.

I agree with previous posts about the overall strength of this team. It seems EVERY player brings a load of talent to the table and will ALL contribute in exciting ways to this year's team!

Finally, I appreciate Coach McCarty's outreach through the Coaches Caravans and other civic functions. I know that takes a LOT of time and effort by him, the coaching staff and players, and the UE Athletic Dept., but it has really generated tremendous personal interest among the UE fan base. That was apparent from the large crowd who showed up last week at Turonis. BRAVO!

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Jul 13, 2018 10:23 am

Ace78 wrote:I agree with Acecard on his view of Shea's leadership and basketball skills. I think his experience will really be valuable to this year's team.

Some additional observations: I think it will be very interesting to see some of UE's matchups with other MVC teams. I know he is just a freshman, but a possible matchup between DeAndre Williams and ISUr's Yarbrough will be fun to watch.

KJ looks like he has made tremendous strides in the workout videos I observed. I'd like to congratulate him on all the hard work he has invested! I'm sure all of the team has worked hard this summer. Their enthusiasm is clearly evident in Aces Insider videos and interviews.

I agree with previous posts about the overall strength of this team. It seems EVERY player brings a load of talent to the table and will ALL contribute in exciting ways to this year's team!

Finally, I appreciate Coach McCarty's outreach through the Coaches Caravans and other civic functions. I know that takes a LOT of time and effort by him, the coaching staff and players, and the UE Athletic Dept., but it has really generated tremendous personal interest among the UE fan base. That was apparent from the large crowd who showed up last week at Turonis. BRAVO!

Welcome to the forum! Great post!

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Fri Jul 13, 2018 12:01 pm

So here is a couple of questions on DeAndre Williams:

1. It appears that he graduated high school in 2016 according to his bio on the GoPurpleAces.com website. It also says "in 2017-18, Williams played for the Nation Wide Academy in Oklahoma City". So did he sit out the 2016-2017 year?

2. He was very highly recruited out of high school and even attended the top 100 camp in the summer of 2015. He was recruited by some big time schools in 2015 like Baylor, Texas, Oklahoma State, etc but I'm guessing that he must have had some academic issues to work through and that is why he ended up at what I presume is a prep school last year...However, he doesn't appear to have any offers (other than UE) since 2015. Hopefully, that is good for us but just curious why there was no other interest (at least known interest) in the last 2-3 years. Does anyone know why? Should we read anything into his work with John Lucas? Again just surprised there wasn't more interest in him; but again hopefully that works to our benefit and hopefully Andre's benefit.

DeAndre seems like a great kid and I hope everything works out for both him and UE but was curious in the gaps in his resume.

Return to “The Aces”