UE radio joines Learfield

Discussions of all the Aces sports
pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

UE radio joines Learfield

Postby pafan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:20 am

UE announced today that UE's radio broadcasts would join Learfield, with stations in Evansville, Mt. Vernon, Vincennes and Carmi. The main station will be WJPS 107.1 FM.

Learfield produces radio broadcasts for SIU and UNI in the MVC, along with many major conference programs like Indiana, Purdue, and Illinois. I expect this to be a big upgrade in broadcast quality.

http://gopurpleaces.com/news/2018/4/20/ ... -area.aspx
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

stennisrm72
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1964

Re: UE radio joines Learfield

Postby stennisrm72 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:50 am

pafan wrote:UE announced today that UE's radio broadcasts would join Learfield, with stations in Evansville, Mt. Vernon, Vincennes and Carmi. The main station will be WJPS 107.1 FM.

Learfield produces radio broadcasts for SIU and UNI in the MVC, along with many major conference programs like Indiana, Purdue, and Illinois. I expect this to be a big upgrade in broadcast quality.

http://gopurpleaces.com/news/2018/4/20/ ... -area.aspx

Will an announcement on play-by-play and color commentators be released sometime in the future? I know Walt Ferderber is somewhat of a legend in this area but I liked the late Bob Buck much better. I'd also like to see Scott Shreffler stay on board.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:50 am

This is excellent news and another sign that we are stepping up big time. Not only engaging the city, but the region as well. This will give Aces games a signal radius of nearly 100 miles of Evansville. This coupled with regional appearances, such as Walter's Meet and Greet in Owensboro, will do wonders to re-introducing the region to the program.

Hopefully they are working on some local TV as well.

Lerch
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1964

Postby Lerch » Fri Apr 20, 2018 10:58 am

What does "Learfield" have to do w/ radio signal strength? Besides, with games televised on ESPN3 (which now requires a subscription), I'm not sure about advertising stepping up for UE TV broadcasts. Costs are steep...

I just wish the MVC would go the direction of the OVC & have in-house FREE webcasts, w/o the ties to ESPN.

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man

Postby pafan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:08 am

Lerch wrote:What does "Learfield" have to do w/ radio signal strength?

Learfield is the company that runs the network, and will probably be paying a rights fee.

The combined network of stations will far exceed what WUEV itself was able to provide the last several years. For the first time in a decade, you'll be able to hear Aces games in places like Princeton, Vincennes, Washington, Jasper, and Owensboro.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:56 am

Lerch wrote:What does "Learfield" have to do w/ radio signal strength? Besides, with games televised on ESPN3 (which now requires a subscription), I'm not sure about advertising stepping up for UE TV broadcasts. Costs are steep...

I just wish the MVC would go the direction of the OVC & have in-house FREE webcasts, w/o the ties to ESPN.

Learfield is one of the leaders in sports broadcasting. The radio signal strength is the network of stations that will be carrying the games. This year, only WUEV carried them, with a signal radius of 30-35 miles.

We are one of the only MVC schools not to have some games televised locally. The casual fans, or should I say the empty seats at the Ford Center, will not stream a game on ESPN3 or even a free webcast. We need to reach those fans to increase the market.

GeneralZod1991
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1987

Postby GeneralZod1991 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 11:58 am

A few days before Simmons was fired, I was on here predicting that the University's apathy toward the complete stagnation of the basketball program was a clear indicator that they were simply giving up, and we were headed to DII or DIII status in the next five years.

I was wrong, and I'm thrilled to say so.

I've been incredibly impressed with what's happened since: The McCarty hire, some solid assistant coaches, some interesting potential recruits, and now this. These season ticket sales numbers have gone up for a good reason.

It's great to see the University make it clear that they care about the program and are willing to make some investments to grow things. I'm not sure we'll ever be able to replicate what Butler, Xavier and (now) Loyola have been able to accomplish in the last decade, but I'm so glad UE is thinking big again. It does wonders for the morale of the fan base.

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Postby NumbersDontLie » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:20 pm

I had heard some rumblings were in the works. I assumed one station with a larger broadcast range - like 94.9 or just 106.7.

Turns out, it is even better than I expected.

And GeneralZod - I can see how you would have drawn that conclusion. However, I'm not sure that it was the University as a whole that was apathetic towards athletics, but just a handful of people. I'm hoping those days are past.

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces101 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:53 pm

I’m glad that Coach McCarty is willing to do a coach’s show. I hope he fields real questions from fans via phone or in person. The last 5-6 years have produced embarrassing shows that were scripted, all fluff, and not very informational. I also hope he works with a local TV channel to broadcast a weekly coach’s show highlighting that week’s games, practices, and highlights a different player each show.

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man

Postby pafan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:55 pm

A coach's show is listed in the press release as something that will be broadcast, on at least some of the stations.

Return to “The Aces”