Updated Roster 2018-19

Discussions of all the Aces sports
PurpleAces
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1980

Re: Updated Roster 2018-19

Postby PurpleAces » Fri May 18, 2018 1:10 pm

kyace1 wrote:I have not been this excited - ever - as an Aces Fan. I have been thinking about which 5 players make the best athletic unit, which 5 make up the Big Lineup, which lineup could stretch the floor with 5 shooters, etc... I think practices will be great. Competition will be high. I believe playing time will be shared. We are in for a fun ride!

I think there will be a totally different atmosphere at the games next year. Big crowds making some noise and feeding the boys. I am with you it's been a long time since I have been this pumped about our Aces.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri May 18, 2018 1:32 pm

Definitely a new look for the Aces - one that has been a long time coming. Already fans are feeling the difference. Lot of hope, excitement, and positive chatter concerning Coach McCarty and the team. Just watching the Aces fly up and down the floor with an athletic bunch of players will make us all jump out of our seat. Right now, as fans, let's do all we can to sell out that first game ( we can talk about the other games as well). But what a statement that would make to all Ace's supporters and to the team.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Fri May 18, 2018 1:33 pm

Purp wrote:.......Easy to look past the fact that Frederking, Kuhlman, and Hall were freshmen last year and had really solid seasons. If they make the expected jump, we have a lot to look forward to from them......

Agree, I can see John Hall emerging as a team leader.
Granted his court time is the about the same as all returning 6 ACES. And no one on the roster has played in Coach McCarty's system.....But he also sat a year, as a red shirt, and has been on campus longer than any one else.

I'm on board!
go aces

mybigpurplebrain
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1982

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Fri May 18, 2018 2:09 pm

COUTEAU wrote:
Purp wrote:.......Easy to look past the fact that Frederking, Kuhlman, and Hall were freshmen last year and had really solid seasons. If they make the expected jump, we have a lot to look forward to from them......

Granted his court time is the about the same as all returning 6 ACES. And no one on the roster has played in Coach McCarty's system.....But he also sat a year, as a red shirt, and has been on campus longer than any one else.

I'm on board!
go aces

I think you would be referring to Marty Hill. John Hall played last year.

Either way , I’m on board!

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces101 » Fri May 18, 2018 2:13 pm

I was thinking that Hurley was a tall, athletic point guard while Newton is a scoring shooting guard. That’s how I would categorize them, but who knows how the coaches will see it.

I’d like to add either Silva to the Center group or Hankton to the SF group.

PurpleAces wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:PG - Feehan/Givance/Newton
SG - Frederking/Hurley/Hill
SF - Hurley/Williams/Hall/Riley
PF - Williams/Hall/Becker
C - DC/Kuhlman/Becker

Just a guess...a lot of these guys can play in a lot of different places. I do think we will see a lot of Williams, Feehan, Frederking, and Givance. At the center spot, expecting to see a lot of Kuhlman and Becker. Becker might see some "4" time as well. Expecting to see McCarty use a lot of the Celtics and Butler strategy of pulling the center out on the floor and having them become a jump shooter as well as an inside player, which is where Kuhlman and Becker can have success.

One of the biggest keys to this season is Frederking, in my opinion. If he can really become the high IQ playmaker and knock down shooter that a lot of us think he's capable of, he can really be huge for this team. He's a fiery player, who should thrive under this type of system. Hurley and Feehan are going to be asked to do a lot as well.

It will be much different than what we've become accustomed to!

Totally agree with this. Would like to add another Marty Hill. The kid can flat out play. He will fit nicely in a fast tempo. I know we didn't get to see it a lot last year with his injuries. He can really help us and is healthy.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri May 18, 2018 2:40 pm

Aces101 wrote:I was thinking that Hurley was a tall, athletic point guard while Newton is a scoring shooting guard. That’s how I would categorize them, but who knows how the coaches will see it.

I’d like to add either Silva to the Center group or Hankton to the SF group

I tweeted Silva to ask if he was still being offered by the Aces but he has not responded. Talking College Hoops has not been his thing for the last several weeks which makes me wonder if he is going to play ball anywhere, let alone for the Aces. Hankton would be a great addition but he has never gotten back with me or any other Aces booster that I am aware of....I still think he is holding out for another offer...could be wrong. Would love to have him.

PurpleAces wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:PG - Feehan/Givance/Newton
SG - Frederking/Hurley/Hill
SF - Hurley/Williams/Hall/Riley
PF - Williams/Hall/Becker
C - DC/Kuhlman/Becker

Just a guess...a lot of these guys can play in a lot of different places. I do think we will see a lot of Williams, Feehan, Frederking, and Givance. At the center spot, expecting to see a lot of Kuhlman and Becker. Becker might see some "4" time as well. Expecting to see McCarty use a lot of the Celtics and Butler strategy of pulling the center out on the floor and having them become a jump shooter as well as an inside player, which is where Kuhlman and Becker can have success.

One of the biggest keys to this season is Frederking, in my opinion. If he can really become the high IQ playmaker and knock down shooter that a lot of us think he's capable of, he can really be huge for this team. He's a fiery player, who should thrive under this type of system. Hurley and Feehan are going to be asked to do a lot as well.

It will be much different than what we've become accustomed to!

Totally agree with this. Would like to add another Marty Hill. The kid can flat out play. He will fit nicely in a fast tempo. I know we didn't get to see it a lot last year with his injuries. He can really help us and is healthy.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Fri May 18, 2018 2:42 pm

I think there will be a totally different atmosphere at the games next year. Big crowds making some noise and feeding the boys. I am with you it's been a long time since I have been this pumped about our Aces.

And to think that we are only in May and the season doesn’t even start for six months.

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Postby NumbersDontLie » Fri May 18, 2018 3:14 pm

I'm just as excited about the things going on behind the scenes that will hopefully translate into wins on the court. We've discussed the Coaches Caravan and season ticket sales that will hopefully restore some of the Roberts roar to Ford Center.

Also, the coaching staff has added the same video/scouting software that the Celtics use. Your opponent scouting report and game film can be sent to your tablet/phone to review.

The strength and conditioning coach has worked for the Spurs organization and their NBDL affiliate. His first year got the weight room re-designed so now he can transform the athlete's physical shape too, to go along with the up-tempo style.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Fri May 18, 2018 3:56 pm

mybigpurplebrain wrote:
COUTEAU wrote:

I'm on board!
go aces

I think you would be referring to Marty Hill. John Hall played last year.

Either way , I’m on board!

Nope.
In September, it will be John Hall's third year, as a student athlete at UE.
He sat his Freshman Season, as a red-shirt.
He has been at school, longer than anyone else on the roster.
Marty Hill, enrolled last season.
That's why I feel John Hall could emerge as someone the others may look to. He's been a "local" the longest.

Return to “The Aces”