Re: Updated Roster 2018-19

Postby Purp » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:19 pm

Looking pretty good to me.

SI_Acesfan
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1967

Postby SI_Acesfan » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:47 pm

Ideally we get another center/bigger guy, then best player/shooter available to get us to 11. From then on, I hope we pump the brakes a little. As Commodore said, "we are not going to rush to fill out the roster with guys who take up spots". We have only one senior (DC). We can't put ourselves in a position of having 6 or 7 guys in the same class yet again.

We need to bank at least 1 scholly and set the table for two quality recruits from 2019. Are you listening Alex Hemenway?

stennisrm72
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Fri Apr 20, 2018 5:54 pm

stl scooter wrote:Senoirs: Danius Chatkevicius

Juniors: Marty Hill, KJ Riley, Rosel Hurley

Sophomores: Evan Kuhlman, Noah Frederking, John Hall

Freshmen: DeAndre Williams, Jawaun Newton

Open scholarships: 4

Do we have signed letters of intent from DeAndre and Jawaun? I've not seen or heard anything?

ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:18 pm

I gotta say that whatever plan Walter had in the beginning seems to be coming together really well. UE IS IN THE GAME, and I can't wait for the home opener! Yeah, the recruiting process is a bit of a 3-D puzzle, but Walt and the staff he has assembled has great street cred right off the bat. When kids see the caliber of our coaches and the talent level of who's signing up to be an Ace, they take notice. When was the last time we had this kind of Buzz in April?

rpyke
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 2003

Postby rpyke » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:56 pm

9 capable players after a massive turnaround these past few months. I think we're in great shape. Snag a few transfers and definitely a prescence or two inside and we're looking good. For next year, even. This core of guys at times competed without either RT, Boo or Dru because of injury.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Fri Apr 20, 2018 8:01 pm

rpyke wrote:9 capable players after a massive turnaround these past few months. I think we're in great shape. Snag a few transfers and definitely a prescence or two inside and we're looking good. For next year, even. This core of guys at times competed without either RT, Boo or Dru because of injury.

That's right. Let's not forget we were only ONE win away from 6th place last year.

211N-69
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 211N-69 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:54 am

Maybe take a deep breath ... and here's why. Again, I compare a lot of these topics to the one here in Valpo, where I get the chance to see VU play pretty regularly. They joined the Valley with a good team and partway through, realized they were not **quite** up to Valley standards. They will get better but the jump from the Horizon to the Valley is noticeable. It's not terribly noticeable but it ... just is.

The point: When you bring in juco kids or even prep school kids, and high school kids, these guys are good players. But the Valley is not juco and it's not even the Horizon. It has a Final Four team in it. It has had two other programs that were national powers. It has several very good basketball programs.

If this young team with a new coach hits the ground running, they will still have a powerful learning curve. Better this year? Probably. A contender this year? We shall see. I am optimistic that McCarty can make the Aces relevant this first year. It will be fun to watch. As well, I will be watching the Valpo system for the same reasons. Then when I get to the ARC to see them play the Aces, it will be one great game. Having Valpo in the Valley is about the best thing that can happen. I now get to care about outcomes and actual basketball programs and reasons to compare them.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:43 am

211N-69 wrote:Maybe take a deep breath ... and here's why. Again, I compare a lot of these topics to the one here in Valpo, where I get the chance to see VU play pretty regularly. They joined the Valley with a good team and partway through, realized they were not **quite** up to Valley standards. They will get better but the jump from the Horizon to the Valley is noticeable. It's not terribly noticeable but it ... just is.

The point: When you bring in juco kids or even prep school kids, and high school kids, these guys are good players. But the Valley is not juco and it's not even the Horizon. It has a Final Four team in it. It has had two other programs that were national powers. It has several very good basketball programs.

If this young team with a new coach hits the ground running, they will still have a powerful learning curve. Better this year? Probably. A contender this year? We shall see. I am optimistic that McCarty can make the Aces relevant this first year. It will be fun to watch. As well, I will be watching the Valpo system for the same reasons. Then when I get to the ARC to see them play the Aces, it will be one great game. Having Valpo in the Valley is about the best thing that can happen. I now get to care about outcomes and actual basketball programs and reasons to compare them.

We don't have to watch the point guard standing stationary until Ryan Taylor finally gets open after circling the cluster for 25 seconds. Anything else is gravy.

ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:44 am

211N-69 has provided a good explanation of where we are. The MVC is a solid league, and the hire of Walter comes at a critical time. Some fans of programs with increased national recognition will see a different, more competitive UE, but they are determined to hold their places in the pecking order (from their perspective). Walter's system and it's attractiveness to recruits effectively allows us to cast a bigger net for our recruiting effort, and that's an important building block. It's truly going to be fun watching the staff bring a tough, hungry group of young men together, supported by an energized fan base. The league WILL BE A DOG FIGHT....and I'm confident we'll compete. The MVC has usually had a bunch of tight games, but it's going to get even better!.....and Arch Madness will be up for grabs every year. We all hope for improvement in non-conf. Schedule, but I look forward to seeing good crowds at Ford for all the conference games. Sometimes the casual fan doesn't recognize the consistent quality of MVC play.

Return to “The Aces”