Updated Roster 2018-19

Discussions of all the Aces sports
IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Re: Updated Roster 2018-19

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:46 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:Are you ready for some deductive reasoning?

1) Already quoted that Jawaun and Tristen want to follow in their cousin's footsteps and play college ball together. Their cousins, brothers Alvin and Aaron Jones played football at Burges High School and at UTEP and were drafted by NFL teams.

2) Jawaun was offered by Jackson State and Tristen received "medium interest" from Jackson State per Verbal Commits so playing together was possible at Jackson State.

My assumption is that McCarty was made aware of their goal and was warm to the idea of offering Tristen, considering he is probably a candidate to follow his brother by being El Paso's Player of the Year next season. That would mean at the least that the scholly opening when Dainius leaves is quietly, so far, earmarked for 6-3 Tristen. If so, a big must be signed now and not in November.

Just an educated guess.

Tristen looks taller than 6-3, more like 6-5 or 6-6 ?

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Sat Apr 21, 2018 8:52 pm

acecard wrote:How disappointed will everyone be if we are a Thursday team next year? Do we have the right to believe that we will not be? I know we have no idea what kind of team we will have, but it seems to me that with the coaching staff we have, and knowing what kind of players they are going after, we can at least expect a 6th place finish, or better. If you don't think you can get better, I guarantee that you won't. I know it won't be easy, and it may not happen, but I'm going to believe that it can be done.

I think a very realistic goal should be to stay out of the Thursday game. I think we can accomplish this. With our new coaching staff, returning players, new players and a lot more fans coming to The Ford, I think it is very possible. There are some hurdles to clear such as the change in style and change in coaching staff and getting the team to play together/gel, but with the experience of our coaching staff I have confidence in them to make this happen. We don't have Dru and RT to count on this year, but by having their minutes to spread around to the other guys who will be here for 2, 3, 4 more years it will make us deeper and better sooner in terms of the longer term plan.

Go Aces !

kyace1
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1983

Postby kyace1 » Tue May 01, 2018 10:05 pm

Senoirs: Danius Chatkevicius

Juniors: Marty Hill, KJ Riley, Rosel Hurley

Sophomores: Evan Kuhlman, Noah Frederking, John Hall

Freshmen: DeAndre Williams, Jawaun Newton, Shamr Samuels-Givance

I believe we need to have 3 open spots after next year... (balance the class sizes, leave room for more quality recruits e.g Tristan Newton, Kyle Rode & Micheal Moreno, more room to fix unknown holes discovered in existing roster)

If this is the coach’ goal & my math is right, we can only add one more player this year. Roman Silva (FR) or TJ Washington (JR). or someone else?

wildbill
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1975

Postby wildbill » Tue May 01, 2018 10:14 pm

kyace1 wrote:Senoirs: Danius Chatkevicius

I believe we need to have 3 open spots after next year... (balance the class sizes, leave room for more quality recruits e.g Tristan Newton, Kyle Rode & Micheal Moreno, more room to fix unknown holes discovered in existing roster)

If this is the coach’ goal & my math is right, we can only add one more player this year. Roman Silva (FR) or TJ Washington (JR). or someone else?

I hope they sign Silva and go with that. I like those 3 available scholarships.
:x The Boys Are Coming Back :lol:

rpyke
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 2003

Postby rpyke » Tue May 01, 2018 10:16 pm

We absolutely need size. John and DC proved they're Valley quality bigs, but they just aren't big enough sometimes. Especially in terms of John. Evan is a wildcard in terms of next year, but I don't know if he'll crack the rotation. I fear he just isn't quick enough. But I love his ability to stretch the floor.

kyace1
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1983

Postby kyace1 » Tue May 01, 2018 10:21 pm

I like the Washington kid... I think his experience would be helpful and seems to be a winner. I also want another big. Silva looks like the best option. I think it is a tough call, but right now it appears we are 10 deep... would love to make it 11 tomorrow.

PurpleAces
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1980

Postby PurpleAces » Tue May 01, 2018 10:25 pm

What I like about this roster is we will finally have some shooters. We will be quick and athletic. I can't wait to watch this team run amd press. Yes we still need a big. I feel like if we can land Silva we will shock the Valley.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Tue May 01, 2018 11:28 pm

If I was basing his decision likelihood on his tweets, I would think we would be the favorite. He seems to like us.

ncace
Road Tripper

Postby ncace » Wed May 02, 2018 12:37 am

Agree we must sign a big. Not sure we should count on the roster carryover into '19-20 however. With transfers, Walter's style and who fits, as well as the larger recruiting net we will cast next year, a number of scenarios could play out. Gonna be VERY interesting to see exciting hoops played by the Aces this year, and 2019 and 2020 kids will take notice.

riverboat_gambler
Ford Center Regular

Postby riverboat_gambler » Wed May 02, 2018 1:31 am

kyace1 wrote:Senoirs: Danius Chatkevicius

Odds are McCarty and his staff recruit better next year for obvious reasons. Smart play would be to leave 3 spots open and just fill in one more this spring. Generally, you want 3 in each class (one will have a 4th).

Return to “The Aces”