Bradley Braves

Discussions of all the Aces sports
acesfan65
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1975

Re: Bradley Braves

Postby acesfan65 » Mon Jan 27, 2014 9:48 am

ok, section 109 had a little to do with how much fun i had, but the biggest contributor was the hard play by the team, Go ACES!!

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:39 am

The thing that impressed me the most about yesterdays game was the fact that when Bradley got to within one point of the Aces, late in the second half, the Aces withstood that pressure, regrouped, and went on to pull away. They could have folded right there, and lost that game, but they didn't, and showed that maybe they are learning how to win a game like that. Granted they were not playing to best team in the Valley, but to get to any valuable goal, you have to take the first step, and hopefully that first step was yesterday.

Better enjoy this game, because the next two could be ugly. I hope that we can stay competitive on the road against Northern Iowa, and maybe even somehow, some way, get a victory because the game against Wichita has the potential to be a North Carolina, Indiana type of game. If Wichita plays to it's potential, the game will be a blowout. If they take the Aces as lightly as they did last year, then maybe we can at least make a game of it. I still can't get my head around the fact that we beat a final four team twice last year. I guess that is why they play the games. Let's just strap it on, and let the chips fall where they may.

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Mon Jan 27, 2014 10:49 am

Great win I to feel thay are learning how to score at the end in close games, one thing missed is we didn't killed on the boards by one of the best rebounding teams in the Valley.....I looked up today we have been out rebounded every year since 2009-2010 I'm hoping we can continue to develop in this area if we could get Troy Taylor to come back and just teach rebounding what a beast he was.

6th man
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 6th man » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:40 pm

Great game !! If they can do away with those 8-9 minutes dry spells they'll be a tough out on any1 schedule. It'll be a tough week but the Aces are learning. With the win over Bradley
and Loyola it moves Evansville into 6th place via the tie breaker formula

GO ACES
Last edited by 6th man on Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm on Board
UE Integrity
GO ACES

Purp
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1974

Postby Purp » Mon Jan 27, 2014 2:47 pm

6th man wrote:...the Aces are learning.

I think that says it all. Over the last five games, things have really tightened up a bit. At this pace, we might actually be a handful over in St. Louis.

Forever Purple
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1964

Postby Forever Purple » Mon Jan 27, 2014 5:09 pm

Given Boo's limited availability, I think yesterday's win was another example of this team's ongoing process of maturing. We are still weak in a number of areas, but the recent improvement is very evident. This is going to be a fun bunch to watch over the next two or three years.

Atlanta Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Atlanta Ace » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:07 pm

acecard wrote:The thing that impressed me the most about yesterdays game was the fact that when Bradley got to within one point of the Aces, late in the second half, the Aces withstood that pressure, regrouped, and went on to pull away. They could have folded right there, and lost that game, but they didn't, and showed that maybe they are learning how to win a game like that. Granted they were not playing to best team in the Valley, but to get to any valuable goal, you have to take the first step, and hopefully that first step was yesterday.

+1

:shockue:
Let's get this McCarty Party started.

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader

Postby sect.3purple » Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:51 pm

Ace Dad wrote:
sect.3purple wrote:Exciting game today...the team, the fans, the atmosphere that has been missing....not quite like the old days, but getting there.

I thought today we played, as another post writer here said, as a "blue-collar team." I remember teams that fought for every possession, and today was close to that...lots of rebounds and hustle. When several team members stood and watched a rebound go to the Bradley Braves you could hear an audible protest from the crowd. Good! This team needs to know that we EXPECT...and APPRECIATE....the "want to" in rebounding. The t.v. announcers for today's game gave credit where it was due...surprisingly since Bradley is known as a good rebounding team...but the team today that went after the ball were the blue-collar ACES!!

Not everything was good. There were times that we messed up fast breaks by indecisiveness or poor ball handling or passes into the trees...but those are the kind of mistakes that should lessen with experience. I still would like to see more threes being taken...and tighter guarding of the opponent's three-shooting, but we didn't leave too many guys open today. Hopefully we will get to the point that no one gets to try practice shooting because we are 10 feet away from the shooter.

Confidence seems to be creeping back into the physic of this team. Confidence combined with blue-collar defense and lots of individual time practicing shots would be a good recipe for Purple Ace Wins.......let's see what we can cook up for UNI and WSU this week, ACES!

Could we have been more confident because we were playing a relatively weaker team and at home?

Well, Ace Dad, I really think that this team may play better AWAY from home...almost like we are less confident here than away, less cautious away from home because mistakes won't immediately be seen by the critical home crowd. If that is the case, though, then Sunday's game was somewhat a remedy for that...supportive home crowd helped in the last few minutes of the game.

As far as Bradley being a lesser team than us....????? In many instances, including stats and record, I think we are not the superior team at all......but we OUTPERFORMED ....effort and execution ..... that brought about proof that we could be successful, because we were. Just knowing you can do something because you HAVE done it before actually brings confidence in effort.....and executing with confidence grabs more rebounds, sinks more free throws, makes more shots, and puts hustle into every defensive and offensive move.

So, No, I don't think we gained confidence because of our opponent.....we gained confidence because of what we did. Had we out-hustled, out-rebounded, shot a high percentage, and still lost I think confidence would still be strengthened.

The opponent is entitled ONLY to his own skills and mindset. Bad or good luck can even do its thing. Confidence, though, cannot be "given"....it has to be earned, or built, through work and sweat......and, that is why I think confidence is the number one factor that will promote this team forward.

That's why we all need to show up, stand up, yell like crazy, and back this team as it works
toward its potential.....regardless of the opponent.

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Mon Jan 27, 2014 7:11 pm

sect.3purple wrote:So, No, I don't think we gained confidence because of our opponent.....we gained confidence because of what we did. Had we out-hustled, out-rebounded, shot a high percentage, and still lost I think confidence would still be strengthened.

The opponent is entitled ONLY to his own skills and mindset. Bad or good luck can even do its thing. Confidence, though, cannot be "given"....it has to be earned, or built, through work and sweat......and, that is why I think confidence is the number one factor that will promote this team forward.

In order do, you must first think you can.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

Big Ace
Bobblehead Owner

Postby Big Ace » Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:03 pm

I'm glad to see our boys did play well against Bradley. I didn't care for the Sunday game though maybe the boys did. Mock is looking more and more confident in the offensive plays they setup for him. Gibbson had a little hot sreak and would like to see him build off of that. And DJ is the leader in our starting 5 . I thought it was going to be a wider spread in the win but I'll take it . Go job Aces lets build off of this and lets get another one.

Return to “The Aces”