Non Conference Schedule Released!

Discussions of all the Aces sports
wildbill
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1975

Re: Non Conference Schedule Released!

Postby wildbill » Wed Jul 04, 2018 5:55 pm

bikerace wrote:As a 42 year season ticket holder I have been happy with the way everything has been going until this Albion game USI KWC either one would have jumped at the opportunity to play and would have brought in a much larger crowd makes no sense to play Albion instead of one of them

I may miss this one. Hopefully, they do the reduced prices to attempt to gain new fans. I didn't think of KWC. Been a while since we played them. If I remember right, Marty Simmons broke his wrist against them back in the day. He had to have screws placed in that hurt wrist. Anybody remember that incident? Kinda foggy for me.
:x The Boys Are Coming Back :lol:

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:39 pm

Obviously, I’m in the minority here, but I am ok with the game against Albion. I mean, it is coach’s first year, and first team, and there are currently no other non D-1 schools on it. This gives coach a chance to rest players that may be a little banged up heading into conference play, and a chance to play some guys more minutes than they normally might play. Now, come year three or four, I would have a problem with this scheduling.

The thing is, most of the people on here that are about this game would also be complaining if we played a team from the A-10, because that game would most likely be on the road, and UE has to have their 8 non con home games.

Cheers!!!!
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Jul 05, 2018 3:43 pm

Ad1770 wrote:Obviously, I’m in the minority here, but I am ok with the game against Albion. I mean, it is coach’s first year, and first team, and there are currently no other non D-1 schools on it. This gives coach a chance to rest players that may be a little banged up heading into conference play, and a chance to play some guys more minutes than they normally might play. Now, come year three or four, I would have a problem with this scheduling.

The thing is, most of the people on here that are about this game would also be complaining if we played a team from the A-10, because that game would most likely be on the road, and UE has to have their 8 non con home games.

Cheers!!!!

Ad, I have no problem with it also. After a pretty rough number of games, it will give the players a chance to play a little more relaxed, and work on things that they will be needing come conference time. It's just one game against a non D1 opponent, and I see no harm in it.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Thu Jul 05, 2018 4:23 pm

acecard wrote:
Ad1770 wrote:Obviously, I’m in the minority here, but I am ok with the game against Albion. I mean, it is coach’s first year, and first team, and there are currently no other non D-1 schools on it. This gives coach a chance to rest players that may be a little banged up heading into conference play, and a chance to play some guys more minutes than they normally might play. Now, come year three or four, I would have a problem with this scheduling.

Cheers!!!!

Ad, I have no problem with it also. After a pretty rough number of games, it will give the players a chance to play a little more relaxed, and work on things that they will be needing come conference time. It's just one game against a non D1 opponent, and I see no harm in it.

Agreed. In years past, this would have been followed up with the Marty SWAC Invitational. The overall schedule is light years beyond what it has been, a tune up game isn't that big of a deal.

Honestly, at this point, I would rather see this than USI or KWC. They have spent considerable efforts in attracting fans from outside of Evansville. A loss to KWC would unravel all of that. Once Walter has the program restored, then let's bring them in.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Thu Jul 05, 2018 7:25 pm

New Mexico Highlands, is a DII school.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:09 am

COUTEAU wrote:New Mexico Highlands, is a DII school.

I believe that is a preseason exhibition game.

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Fri Jul 06, 2018 11:31 am

Correct!

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Fri Jul 06, 2018 1:01 pm

Of course, we could play Chaminade in the Maui Mainland tournament and they are a D2 school. However, pairings have not been announced yet on that.

Anybody know when we could expect to hear the Maui Mainland pairings?

ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Fri Jul 06, 2018 8:51 pm

I've heard UNC-Asheville, but no confirm yet from them, or Auburn or Duke, who were supposed to be their Mainland opponents. Hopefully, the Mainland 4 team tourney won't end up like last year's which was held at Wofford to showcase their new arena. It ended up a hodgepodge of D2 and D1 teams, taking literally any team available to come at the 11th hour. It seems that a tourney as prestigious as Maui would already have the entire thing worked out by now, but frankly, the mainland games are probably not that important to the 8 Maui Classic teams that appear in the big tourney. thankfully, UE has 2 quality opponents in Xavier and Illinois, but it would be great if we had 2 good D1's to go with Chaminade to show off Ford.

ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Sun Jul 15, 2018 1:21 pm

Update on UNCA. They have announced they are playing in a 4 team tourney with NKU, Coastal Carolina, and Manhattan at NKU on Nov. 16-18, so it appears that we'll not have them hare as part of the Maui Mainland. So, unless I've missed something, who will be the other 2 teams for our 4-team as part of Maui??

Return to “The Aces”