Sunday Fun

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Re: Sunday Fun

Postby Austin Ace » Sun May 20, 2018 4:06 pm

The December 1983 80-65 upset of #7 Purdue at the stadium.

It was an electric atmosphere - before the game you could feel it in the air that something special was about to happen.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1983/12/20/College-Basketball-Roundup/1936440744400/

On a side note: When I was looking for the date of the Purdue/Evansville game I game across video of the 1957 Purdue/UE game that was the opener for Roberts Stadium. Clyde Cox talks at the beginning and end of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnOOb-_1yxA

This article from last year has Clyde Cox talking about this game as well:

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/01/19/high-flying-cox-witnessed-ue-history-and-off-court/1046594001/

For the record the 1983 UE/Purdue game is my vote for my most memorable game in person.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Sun May 20, 2018 7:12 pm

Austin Ace wrote:The December 1983 80-65 upset of #7 Purdue at the stadium.

It was an electric atmosphere - before the game you could feel it in the air that something special was about to happen.

https://www.upi.com/Archives/1983/12/20/College-Basketball-Roundup/1936440744400/

On a side note: When I was looking for the date of the Purdue/Evansville game I game across video of the 1957 Purdue/UE game that was the opener for Roberts Stadium. Clyde Cox talks at the beginning and end of the video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnOOb-_1yxA

This article from last year has Clyde Cox talking about this game as well:

https://www.courierpress.com/story/sports/high-school/2018/01/19/high-flying-cox-witnessed-ue-history-and-off-court/1046594001/

For the record the 1983 UE/Purdue game is my vote for my most memorable game in person.

Agree most memorable game in person was the 83 Purdue upset. The look on Gene Keady's face on the walk to the tunnel was priceless.
Most memorable game on TV was Oregon State.
Most memorable game for outstanding performance was Haffner's 65

AcesChamps6571
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby AcesChamps6571 » Sun May 20, 2018 8:49 pm

These are just a few of mine. I can't rate most of the games as bigger than others because I don't want to diminish so many others.The most memorable game in Aces history- 1965 College Division NCAA Championship game- Evansville 85 SIU 82 in OT. That game was also voted the #1 most memorable event in Roberts Stadium history. Jerry Sloan, Larry Humes and the Aces beat a great Salukis team with Walt Frazier for the 3rd time that season to finish 29-0.
A few others- beating Old Dominion for the 1971 NCAA title before the largest crowd to ever see the Aces in Evansville.
Scott Haffner scoring an Aces and Stadium record 65 points in 1989 at a then rare, afternoon game.
A win over Purdue in December., 1965, when Evansville native Dave Schellhase scored something like 39 points for Purdue, but Larry Humes scored 45 I believe for the
Aces.
That was the 2nd most exciting Purdue game.
The Dec., 1969 game already mentioned saw Don Buse steal the ball with the Aces down by one, and after a timeout, John Wellemeyer heaved it and it was going to be short of the goal,but not out at the free throw line. That wouldn't have been called goaltending. William Franklin was standing under the basket and went up and swatted it while it was above the rim just as it was about to come down shy of the goal.
There were several big wins over Kentucky Wesleyan, possibly the most exciting being 5'10 Ronnie Bae's last second shot to pull off a big upset in Jan., 1969.
Most disappointing loss was in 1972 to George Gervin and Eastern Michigan in the '72 NCAA tournament.
Had they won that one, that Aces team likely would have won another title.

svmar10
Road Tripper

Postby svmar10 » Sun May 20, 2018 10:26 pm

2nd most memorable. Haffner's 65 and getting both mine and my wife's ticket autographed by Scott.

Most memorable was giving him one of those tickets last year during his ceremony. He seemed happy to get it.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Sun May 20, 2018 10:29 pm

AcesChamps6571 wrote:These are just a few of mine. I can't rate most of the games as bigger than others because I don't want to diminish so many others.The most memorable game in Aces history- 1965 College Division NCAA Championship game- Evansville 85 SIU 82 in OT. That game was also voted the #1 most memorable event in Roberts Stadium history. Jerry Sloan, Larry Humes and the Aces beat a great Salukis team with Walt Frazier for the 3rd time that season to finish 29-0.
A few others- beating Old Dominion for the 1971 NCAA title before the largest crowd to ever see the Aces in Evansville.
Scott Haffner scoring an Aces and Stadium record 65 points in 1989 at a then rare, afternoon game.
A win over Purdue in December., 1965, when Evansville native Dave Schellhase scored something like 39 points for Purdue, but Larry Humes scored 45 I believe for the
Aces.
That was the 2nd most exciting Purdue game.
The Dec., 1969 game already mentioned saw Don Buse steal the ball with the Aces down by one, and after a timeout, John Wellemeyer heaved it and it was going to be short of the goal,but not out at the free throw line. That wouldn't have been called goaltending. William Franklin was standing under the basket and went up and swatted it while it was above the rim just as it was about to come down shy of the goal.
There were several big wins over Kentucky Wesleyan, possibly the most exciting being 5'10 Ronnie Bae's last second shot to pull off a big upset in Jan., 1969.
Most disappointing loss was in 1972 to George Gervin and Eastern Michigan in the '72 NCAA tournament.
Had they won that one, that Aces team likely would have won another title.

Wow, these are some good ones. Unfortunately I missed there the D2 championships; however, my earliest memories were of Don Buse, Steve Wilmer, Jeff Frey, etc. For some reason though I don't remember experiencing the '71 championship firsthand - I guess I was too young but definitely remember most of the games after that.

When I moved to Texas in 1987 it was a little harder to follow them till the Internet came along.

Go Aces!!!

Purple&Orange
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1988

Postby Purple&Orange » Sun May 20, 2018 11:26 pm

Being born in 1983 I faintly remember the 65 point game in 89, I recall being there but no details outside of at that age as the stats came across the scoreboard that his first half total was a lot. Those years are what I refer to, especially to outsiders as my introduction to big time college basketball.

Some of my favorite in person memories......
1999 Senior Night vs then Southwest Missouri State. Marcus Wilson's shot from the corner that got an assist from someone up above as it hit rim, top of the board and "it went in?" as Adam Alexander's call went. Then surviving the Kevin Ault shot from just inside midcourt that looked dead on and did everything but drop as a lady in front of me said "Oh S....." as it was about halfway there.

Beating Purdue at home in 2005. Neither team was very good that year but to beat the Boilers, especially with multiple friends at Purdue at the time was great. Just looked at the box score and both teams had 20+ turnovers but I still remember wearing purple and orange to the pickup basketball game that night with a huge smile on my face.

The final game at Roberts Stadium. The atmosphere, the building coming alive one last time, the buzz around the concourse, one last lap around at all the display cases. The sleeves coming out to close out the building in style against Illinois State with a victory and most importantly, the postgame ceremony with so many who made the program what is was and what many of us believe it still can be.

Ford Center opener vs Butler. Again, a packed house, our new home and an overtime victory against the Bulldogs. The Colt Ryan steal as he came from out of bounds late in overtime to help seal the victory.

Finally the pregame before the MVC Final in STL vs Northern Iowa. The ending was brutal...I could only mouth to nobody in particular "not like that" as the shot hit back rim, bounced up and through sending UNI on instead of to overtime. Seeing the support in STL as the one side of the arena was decked out in purple and orange supporting our team. If you build it, they will come is a famous movie line but that day showed me the love and passion is still here for the hometown Aces. If you build the program, the fans will come. Seeing the support grow from Friday to Sunday made me proud and to all of those who have been with the program during some of the struggles, it will only make the day that much sweeter when Evansville is announced on a late Sunday afternoon in early March to a national television audience as one of the 68 teams that make up the NCAA Tournament.

AcesChamps6571
Road Tripper

Postby AcesChamps6571 » Mon May 21, 2018 7:43 am

svmar10 wrote:2nd most memorable. Haffner's 65 and getting both mine and my wife's ticket autographed by Scott.

Most memorable was giving him one of those tickets last year during his ceremony. He seemed happy to get it.

That's one of the most awesome things I've heard a fan do. I can only imagine how honored Haffner felt that you would give him one of the tickets after so long.
Well done.

purpleredbird
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1984

Postby purpleredbird » Mon May 21, 2018 8:10 am

Purp wrote:Most memorable: NCAA tournament win over Oregon St.
Most memorable, attended: Haffner's 65 point game.

Tough to beat those since it was during my college years. I would also add the Notre Dame game when Casebier completely outplayed everybody on the floor and had 31 by half if I remember correctly. Was always sad on how badly his life turned out, but you have to pay for your sins.

I can also add the least memorable. The Illinois State / Evansville game in 2012 where Jackie Carmichael makes a 3-pointer (his first) from a full-court pass with 2.8 seconds left. It has been part of ISU's opening video ever since and it tortures me to no end.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbu1bENmdEY

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Mon May 21, 2018 8:35 am

Purple & Orange's list is probably closest to what I would have for mine. I've seen a lot of the old games on tape from the 80s and 90s. Still exciting to watch some of them. The 1999 game I vaguely remember, but I do remember the shot bouncing way up in the air, dropping in and the crowd exploding. Anything before that year, I can't really remember because I was too young. Remember going to the games, but no details.

Don't really have anything from the Merf era, played basketball at that point and didn't go to many games, and they seemed to lose most of the games we went to.

From the Simmons era, the best games were the wins over Butler and Wichita State. Beating Butler the year they made it to the final four and Wichita (twice) the year they made it were probably the top moments for me. The last three years of Colt Ryan were the most enjoyable teams that I thought Simmons had. A few different personnel decisions and Iggy one year sooner and those teams would have been completely different.

The road win at SIU DJ's senior year might be my top in person game. We beat a good team on the road, in a game they played well in. It was a hostile environment and we beat them. Unfortunately, the wheels came off after that game they really stumbled through the rest of the season but at that point I thought things were really coming together.

Purpleredbird, we were actually at the Carmichael game when he hit that shot...long drive back to E-ville after that one....only time we've been to ISU
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Mon May 21, 2018 10:24 am

Like many of you, the 65 points Haffner put down on Dayton is right at the top. I too kept my tickets. I think it was Bob Buck who said 20 years from now, 100,000 people will say they were at that game. That is so cool that you gave him one of the tickets.

For me, another one at the top was the December 78 home game against Larry Bird and Indiana State. It was either the first or second home game for the rebuilding team after the crash. It was my first game since it. Even at 14, I can't tell you what it felt like when our players bust through the paper sign and ran out in front of a packed Roberts. They followed it up by giving Bird and company all they could handle in a close, 4 point loss. Of course, that ISU team went undefeated until the NCAA Final against Michigan State.

Return to “The Aces”