Team Coverage

Discussions of all the Aces sports
rpyke
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 2003

Re: Team Coverage

Postby rpyke » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:56 am

I no doubt believe it's going to be a tough year. I think the highest we will finish is 9th, but I'm excited because it's going to be fun to watch. And by watching some of these videos, it really seems like these guys like each other.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Sat Sep 29, 2018 9:51 am

Ad1770 wrote:
rpyke wrote:They said Noah isn't an established three point shooter..

At first, I agreed with this statement. How could they not consider Noah an established three point shooter? Then I actually thought about it, and he isn’t. The sample size is just not there. Let me show you.

2017-18, Noah was 24-66 (36.4%) from three point land. I won’t rehash the argument on a three point shooter with Goacesgo again, but my side was basically 40% was an established three point shooter. However, numbers can also lie to you. Follow me here.

In 25 games that RT played, Noah shot 12-28 (31.5%) from three point land because he never had a chance to get into a flow. He averaged 0.3 of 1.5 attempts per game when RT was playing.

In 7 games that RT was out with an injury though, he was 12-28 (42.8%) and averaged 1.7 out of 4 attempts per game. As you can see, when Noah was “unleashed” (used loosly because Marty did not allow the team to shoot threes) he made almost six times as many per game on not quite three times as many attempts.

Just imagine what his numbers can be if he is encouraged to shoot more, and given the confidence to let it fly five or six times a game without the fear of being jerked out of the game for it.

So, to answer the question, no, Noah is not an established three point shooter by the (overall) numbers. He showed flashes of brilliance in the seven games he had a chance to (and those seven games included an 0-4 and 0-5 shooting nights). I just don’t believe that these analysts take into account exactly how much Martyball really handcuffed these kids.

Thank you for taking the time to burrow into the numbers. Adding to that is something that cannot be measured. I am certain that not once did Noah or Evan or anyone else on the team launch a 3 without knowing that the coach did not embrace 3-pt shooting at the very core of his system. If they wanted playing time they could be nothing less than tense whenever they did shoot a 3. In every sport nervous tension detracts from results. You cannot be tense swinging a golf club or a bat or shooting a free throw and expect positive results. I would be shocked if distance shooting percentages don't rise this year under McCarty's system and that is why predicting outcomes this year based upon shooting stats from last year is a fool's mission.

aceslifer
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1956

Postby aceslifer » Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:09 am

someone needs to get their stats corrected, 12-28 cannot be both 31.5 and 42.8%

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:28 pm

aceslifer wrote:someone needs to get their stats corrected, 12-28 cannot be both 31.5 and 42.8%

He simply made a typo, he meant 12-38 (31.5%). The gist was clear, which is why I ignored the typo.

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:02 pm

Tom Servo wrote:
CoachD88 wrote:My only request for PAF this season.....do not have visions of grandeur on what is going to be accomplished. Unfortunately...I think some believe we are going to see an Earth-shaking difference. We might....but just be careful where you put your level of expectation.

Completely agree

Thank you, Tom. Not trying to be Debby Downer.....just want everyone to keep their excitement and expectations on an even keep for a while.
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Mon Oct 01, 2018 8:32 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/UEAthletics_MBB/status/1046399370030194688/photo/1

A few of the guys out early this morning volunteering for the Komen Race for a Cure event #GiveBack #AcesAces

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Postby stl scooter » Thu Oct 04, 2018 5:22 pm

#ACESACES #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

Return to “The Aces”