Team Coverage

Discussions of all the Aces sports
E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Re: Team Coverage

Postby E-Villan » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:09 pm

Interesting comments by Jacobson. I am sure he is sincere, but I would assume he realizes if the crap shot by Washbun had missed, his buddy would have been on the call today.

ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:15 pm

Good, balanced articles. Keep them coming, Pat! I also hope that the athletic Dept. can encourage similar, ongoing coverage from other media, esp. local TV. A lot of folks have dropped the newspaper for various reasons, but The TRI-State still relies on the tube for a lot of information. To a great extent, the honeymoon can be enhanced with positive PR.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:18 pm

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Sat Jun 30, 2018 8:55 am

It was an interesting article and teleconference. I fully expected MVC coaches to say what they did about Marty. Coaches nearly always support one another and express disappointment when one of them is dismissed. But no one will convince me they were surprised over UE firing him - record low attendance and no meaningful post season bids in 11 seasons will get any D-1 coach fired.

I also want to state I never viewed the public reaction of Marty's firing as being divided. Attendance alone will tell you the fan base was done with him. Sure, he had some loyalists following him. But it was hardly divided, and clearly most everyone on this message board knew full well Coach Simmons needed to go. The Marty supporters on the forum were usually quite silent in trying to make any argument in retaining him because there was no case to be made.

Concerning the "honeymoon" effect of Coach McCarty I sense most fans will be realistic concerning his first several years. Fans at this point will just be happy to see a more exciting game and simply put to "see and experience something different". Aces fans like myself have been plenty patient during the Marty years, so we can wait a bit to see how the present staff will do. They have obviously make a big impact thus far. To ask the question of how long this euphoria will last is, in some ways, the wrong question to be asking at this time. Spencer did what he had to do - get another coach. What the fans must do now is see what they might do to help make a difference as well.

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Sat Jun 30, 2018 9:45 am

letsgoAces wrote:It was an interesting article and teleconference. I fully expected MVC coaches to say what they did about Marty. Coaches nearly always support one another and express disappointment when one of them is dismissed. But no one will convince me they were surprised over UE firing him - record low attendance and no meaningful post season bids in 11 seasons will get any D-1 coach fired.

I also want to state I never viewed the public reaction of Marty's firing as being divided. Attendance alone will tell you the fan base was done with him. Sure, he had some loyalists following him. But it was hardly divided, and clearly most everyone on this message board knew full well Coach Simmons needed to go. The Marty supporters on the forum were usually quite silent in trying to make any argument in retaining him because there was no case to be made.

Concerning the "honeymoon" effect of Coach McCarty I sense most fans will be realistic concerning his first several years. Fans at this point will just be happy to see a more exciting game and simply put to "see and experience something different". Aces fans like myself have been plenty patient during the Marty years, so we can wait a bit to see how the present staff will do. They have obviously make a big impact thus far. To ask the question of how long this euphoria will last is, in some ways, the wrong question to be asking at this time. Spencer did what he had to do - get another coach. What the fans must do now is see what they might do to help make a difference as well.

I agree totally. In my opinion, McCarty has until year five to get to the top 3 in the MVC. That gives him 3 true recruiting classes plus this year. I have a feeling that his style of play will be infectious to watch and support.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:12 am

Aces & Eights wrote:
letsgoAces wrote:It was an interesting article and teleconference. I fully expected MVC coaches to say what they did about Marty. Coaches nearly always support one another and express disappointment when one of them is dismissed. But no one will convince me they were surprised over UE firing him - record low attendance and no meaningful post season bids in 11 seasons will get any D-1 coach fired.

I agree totally. In my opinion, McCarty has until year five to get to the top 3 in the MVC. That gives him 3 true recruiting classes plus this year. I have a feeling that his style of play will be infectious to watch and support.

Two excellent posts, and I agree with both. I am going to want to see exciting, and entertaining basketball this season, not necessarily wins, but I will take all the wins we can get.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:57 am

acecard wrote:
Aces & Eights wrote:

Two excellent posts, and I agree with both. I am going to want to see exciting, and entertaining basketball this season, not necessarily wins, but I will take all the wins we can get.

Well said, all of these posts.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

Acescott
Casual Fan

Postby Acescott » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:12 pm

One thing that's telling about the whole period since the 99 team is that we've only had two winning conference records in 19 seasons. Several 9-9's but still... As for Marty's departure, hard to argue with it given what's happened since. Coming off a 'winning' season (even against D1) I thought he could have deserved one more year. But at the same time not expecting next year to save him. I know it's mentioned 11 years without major post-season, but I think it came down to odds on future improvement or decline. Not too many signs of the former. I do care, however , that his players and especially Marty himself can (in time ) reembrace and be a part of the Aces community . He means too much to our history.

Acescott
Casual Fan

Postby Acescott » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:22 pm

I would tend to believe that the average die-hard long time season ticket holder would expect a top three MVC finish within about four years with a newly on board fan about two, and an NCAA bid in four. Then again, what do I know...

ncace
Road Tripper

Postby ncace » Sat Jun 30, 2018 3:53 pm

An interesting observation, and probably about right. Every part of the D1 environment is changing. Coaches win 20+'and they can be tempted by a bigger stage. Players transfer if the coach who recruited them leaves. Players leave if they don't get the playing time they feel they deserve. Success means everything for almost every program. Marty is a fine person, but by accepting a 40% win in conference, UE fans showed far more patience than most D1'coaches could have expected. The Aces can be a consistent 20 game winner and top 4 MVC team. I believe that our new Prez will embrace this objective and support the athletic dept. with the $$s they need to be successful year over year

Return to “The Aces”