Atlanta Ace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1971

Re: Team Coverage

Postby Atlanta Ace » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:32 pm

E-Villan wrote:
rpyke wrote:A great read that Pat released about an hour ago

https://amp.courierpress.com/amp/862122 ... ssion=true

Thanks for the link. One part really stood out for me.

Shortly after his hire in late March, the Evansville Harrison product watched games from last season.

It was the first year for the six players he inherited from that team, which finished 17-15 and tied for seventh in the 10-team Missouri Valley Conference. McCarty quickly noticed something he said has to change.

“They were so tense,” he said. “They kind of played in a shell and didn’t want to do too much.

“I’m the total opposite. I want my guys to have confidence to make plays for their teammates. I want them showing and playing with personality. You know, be who you are and enjoy the game. Don’t get caught up in worrying about making mistakes.”

Great stuff!

Looking forward to the start of the season also.
Let's get this McCarty Party started.

rpyke
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 2003

Postby rpyke » Mon Jul 30, 2018 7:02 pm

Just hearing Walter say he's gonna let them play free is music to my ears. They were tense on film because they were yelled at to run a system and got pulled out when they didn't set a good enough screen or swing the ball hip from hip enough.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:26 am

Best piece I have read about the Aces in years. Absolutely refreshing. Allowing kids to play with personality, not worrying about making mistakes, and being who they are. I almost feel like the chains which I have felt were holding the program back were finally released.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:34 am

Only thing that I am going to predict this year is that we are going to enjoy what we will see. Win, or lose, I think we will say we got our monies worth.

Acescott
Casual Fan

Postby Acescott » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:57 pm

I just completed reading the book by Russ Greiger on the '65 team . He transferred from St Louis U to come back home because their style was too rigid, not enough freedom to play with individualism, personality. Coach Mac had that up tempo style with more freedom for his players to create. New coach Mac is reviving that tradition.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:37 pm

Under Coach McCutchan the Aces were definitely a run and gun team. I was there for most of those teams and they were fun to watch. I remember one year in particular Coach had the “shock troops” where Arad substituted five at a time without a loss of quality. I’m not sure but Russ may have been there at that time.

I feel certain that McCutchan’s teams would not have performed as well if they would have been coached by Simmons. Coach McCarty has been around the up and down the floor game his entire basketball career from Kentucky to the Celtics and his teams will employ that style of play. We might have to wait a couple of years until he can put together “his” team but it looks like he’s off to a good start.

Acepurple71
Ford Center Regular

Postby Acepurple71 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:22 am

AcesHigh wrote:Under Coach McCutchan the Aces were definitely a run and gun team. I was there for most of those teams and they were fun to watch. I remember one year in particular Coach had the “shock troops” where Arad substituted five at a time without a loss of quality. I’m not sure but Russ may have been there at that time.

I feel certain that McCutchan’s teams would not have performed as well if they would have been coached by Simmons. Coach McCarty has been around the up and down the floor game his entire basketball career from Kentucky to the Celtics and his teams will employ that style of play. We might have to wait a couple of years until he can put together “his” team but it looks like he’s off to a good start.

Acepurple71
Ford Center Regular

Postby Acepurple71 » Thu Aug 02, 2018 6:26 am

AcesHigh wrote:Under Coach McCutchan the Aces were definitely a run and gun team. I was there for most of those teams and they were fun to watch. I remember one year in particular Coach had the “shock troops” where Arad substituted five at a time without a loss of quality. I’m not sure but Russ may have been there at that time.

I remember that team. It was after Russ had graduated, but just before the 1971 National Championship team. I believe they were called the Bandit Squad. The fans loved it when they went in around 5 mins after the start. Mac's team ran the opponents ragged.

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Postby stl scooter » Fri Aug 17, 2018 10:35 am

#ACESACES #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Fri Aug 17, 2018 12:33 pm

stl scooter wrote:Nice article by Mid Major Madness: