Discussions of all the Aces sports
Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Re: Team Coverage

Postby Austin Ace » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:46 pm

Here's a refresher on a whirlwind of an offseason for Evansville basketball

https://amp.courierpress.com/amp/1434442002?__twitter_impression=true

...here is everything newsworthy that transpired the past six months:..

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:32 pm

For some reason Art's thread was already locked, so posting here:

Artur Labinowicz adjusting to life in the Midwest

https://gopurpleaces.com/news/2018/9/26/mens-basketball-artur-labinowicz-adjusting-to-life-in-the-midwest.aspx

Great article on his game but this is what stuck out the most to me:

While his education at UE and the sport of basketball are two of the top priorities in his life, he also has someone joining him in his journey. Making the trip with him from the Carolinas to Evansville was his 1-year old German Shepherd – Athena.

"Athena is my baby; I can't leave her out of my sight, I hate leaving her in the morning," Labinowicz said. "She is still a puppy and does puppy things, but she is great. All of the players like her, they were scared of her at first, but she is very friendly, likes everyone and likes other dogs. She will jump on you, though, because she is excited to see everyone."

"Sometimes she comes to the player's lounge with me and will be rolling around while I'm doing homework. Just recently, I was in the gym shooting and she sat there and stared at me the whole time. I guess she feels the same way, she can't live without me and I can't live without her."

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Postby stl scooter » Thu Sep 27, 2018 11:15 am

Nice breakdown of all 10 Valley teams:

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/mis ... eview-2019
#ACESACES #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:06 pm

stl scooter wrote:Nice breakdown of all 10 Valley teams:

https://www.three-man-weave.com/3mw/mis ... eview-2019

I would be very interested to hear what you guys think of the breakdown of the Aces in this article. It looks like they think it's going to be a very long year. It gives some nice words about Feehan. and Williams, but nothing about the players coming back, or the other freshmen, like
Becker, Givance, and Newton. I myself expect that we will be a Thursday team, but just to say outright that will finish last without a doubt is very short sighted. I am not going to predict a finish for the Aces until I can at least see them play a game or two. My biggest concern will be how effective will they be defensively, and how good will they be getting rebounds. Plus I think we be a better team in January, February, and March, than we will be in November, and December.

rpyke
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 2003

Postby rpyke » Thu Sep 27, 2018 2:33 pm

They said Noah isn't an established three point shooter..

211N-69
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 211N-69 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 3:20 pm

Sounds like the Aces will win games when their 3's are falling. If not, a long week. I don't think they have the rebounding depth they need to win in the Valley but I do think a lot of guys are going to log quality minutes, which tends to be useful in the conference tournament.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:04 pm

This is the way I see our 10th Place prediction. We were going to be picked last even with Marty being the coach because Ryan Taylor and Dru Smith both were going to transfer out of the program, I know that for a fact. Therefore I believe that the players that Walter has brought into our system are far much better then the players that Marty could have brought into our program.

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Postby stl scooter » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:06 pm

muni cup14 wrote:This is the way I see our 10th Place prediction. We were going to be picked last even with Marty being the coach because Ryan Taylor and Dru Smith both were going to transfer out of the program, I know that for a fact. Therefore I believe that the players that Walter has brought into our system are far much better then the players that Marty could have brought into our program.

Agreed. Marty never fished in the big lakes.
#ACESACES #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

211N-69
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 211N-69 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:07 pm

I suspect all of this has been covered but I believe the success of the D1-mid major programs is recruiting in Europe. Marty did have some success there so depending on how McCarty sees that pool of talent, it will be measurable in two years but not likely this season.

ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Thu Sep 27, 2018 6:23 pm

All of the other teams have a number of players coming back, as well as transfers that bring some additional credibility. Frankly, I am glad to be a "sleeper" this year. When we beat ANY of our MVC rivals, it'll be fun, and we should all celebrate the confidence we have in Walt, the dedicated returnees, and some very talented recruits.

As far as the recruiting in Europe thing, look at Davidson, which has a pipeline to Scandinavia. They consistently compete, year-over-year with the best of the A-10, and they get their share of trips to the dance.

I think we'll be surprised with how Walter recruits and the recruits he lands. We'll do very well this year, from a recruiting standpoint.

As several of us have remarked, this year might not produce 20 wins, but we are setting the table. Cunliffe and others to come will put us in good shape for 2020 and beyond, but let's not be too surprised if we see the recruiting landscape change from 4 year guys, to guys who stay a couple. The movement up and down from mid-major to P5, from Juco and grad transfers to D1, etc. was dramatic this year, and it will continue. Every D1 team will need to be pretty nimble to improve their roster, from one year to the next.

Return to “The Aces”