Aces Insider on today's first practice:

https://gopurpleaces.com/news/2018/9/27 ... carty.aspx
#ACESACES #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Re: Team Coverage

Postby muni cup14 » Thu Sep 27, 2018 7:41 pm

I do believe do to our potential run and gun offense,that we could potentially have more lopsided wins and losses.Completely opposite from last year

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Fri Sep 28, 2018 12:08 am

muni cup14 wrote:I do believe do to our potential run and gun offense,that we could potentially have more lopsided wins and losses.Completely opposite from last year

Hard to be more lopsided than 60 points.

But yes, in general, I would agree with this statement because of the change in the style of play.

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:01 am

rpyke wrote:They said Noah isn't an established three point shooter..

At first, I agreed with this statement. How could they not consider Noah an established three point shooter? Then I actually thought about it, and he isn’t. The sample size is just not there. Let me show you.

2017-18, Noah was 24-66 (36.4%) from three point land. I won’t rehash the argument on a three point shooter with Goacesgo again, but my side was basically 40% was an established three point shooter. However, numbers can also lie to you. Follow me here.

In 25 games that RT played, Noah shot 12-28 (31.5%) from three point land because he never had a chance to get into a flow. He averaged 0.3 of 1.5 attempts per game when RT was playing.

In 7 games that RT was out with an injury though, he was 12-28 (42.8%) and averaged 1.7 out of 4 attempts per game. As you can see, when Noah was “unleashed” (used loosly because Marty did not allow the team to shoot threes) he made almost six times as many per game on not quite three times as many attempts.

Just imagine what his numbers can be if he is encouraged to shoot more, and given the confidence to let it fly five or six times a game without the fear of being jerked out of the game for it.

So, to answer the question, no, Noah is not an established three point shooter by the (overall) numbers. He showed flashes of brilliance in the seven games he had a chance to (and those seven games included an 0-4 and 0-5 shooting nights). I just don’t believe that these analysts take into account exactly how much Martyball really handcuffed these kids.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:54 am

Ad1770 wrote:

At first, I agreed with this statement. How could they not consider Noah an established three point shooter? Then I actually thought about it, and he isn’t. The sample size is just not there. Let me show you.

2017-18, Noah was 24-66 (36.4%) from three point land. I won’t rehash the argument on a three point shooter with Goacesgo again, but my side was basically 40% was an established three point shooter. However, numbers can also lie to you. Follow me here.

In 25 games that RT played, Noah shot 12-28 (31.5%) from three point land because he never had a chance to get into a flow. He averaged 0.3 of 1.5 attempts per game when RT was playing.

In 7 games that RT was out with an injury though, he was 12-28 (42.8%) and averaged 1.7 out of 4 attempts per game. As you can see, when Noah was “unleashed” (used loosly because Marty did not allow the team to shoot threes) he made almost six times as many per game on not quite three times as many attempts.

Just imagine what his numbers can be if he is encouraged to shoot more, and given the confidence to let it fly five or six times a game without the fear of being jerked out of the game for it.

So, to answer the question, no, Noah is not an established three point shooter by the (overall) numbers. He showed flashes of brilliance in the seven games he had a chance to (and those seven games included an 0-4 and 0-5 shooting nights). I just don’t believe that these analysts take into account exactly how much Martyball really handcuffed these kids.

Excellent Post. It has been my belief since the hire of Coach McCarty that of all the returning players Noah would benefit the most in being given the green light. Noah will turn heads this season.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:25 am

letsgoAces wrote:
Ad1770 wrote:

Excellent Post. It has been my belief since the hire of Coach McCarty that of all the returning players Noah would benefit the most in being given the green light. Noah will turn heads this season.

All the returning Aces are going to seem like different players this year, because they will be different players under Walter's system.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:43 am

acecard wrote:
letsgoAces wrote:
Ad1770 wrote:

All the returning Aces are going to seem like different players this year, because they will be different players under Walter's system.

I agree completely with these posts. The players will look and play completely different. Hopefully we will see much less of the robotic/stiff/up-tight play we say last year, and much more loose/confident play this year. Now, how much that changes the win total...I have no idea. We certainly hope that it will! We haven't seen how the returning guys will respond and we really don't know much of anything about the new guys.

I would hope everyone going to the games this year and following the team will understand this is essentially a learning year and a building block season where Walter is trying to build a foundation. Two big pieces are already coming in next year, hopefully we will find out about some more guys signing soon.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Postby stl scooter » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:49 am

More from our good friend Pat Hickey:

https://amp.courierpress.com/amp/142624 ... ssion=true
#ACESACES #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:46 pm

My only request for PAF this season.....do not have visions of grandeur on what is going to be accomplished. Unfortunately...I think some believe we are going to see an Earth-shaking difference. We might....but just be careful where you put your level of expectation.
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:10 pm

CoachD88 wrote:My only request for PAF this season.....do not have visions of grandeur on what is going to be accomplished. Unfortunately...I think some believe we are going to see an Earth-shaking difference. We might....but just be careful where you put your level of expectation.

Completely agree
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

Return to “The Aces”