Discussions of all the Aces sports
Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Re: Aces Insider

Postby Ad1770 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 12:02 pm

Aces & Eights wrote:
Ad1770 wrote:
Bummer news guys. By my calculations, Marty Hill did not qualify for a medical redshirt and is going to be a senior this year. Here is why:

30% of 32 games is 9.6 games which means that to be eligible, he could only play in 9 games last season. And while he did only play in 9 games, there is a glaring hole in his stats. The first game against Loyola, meaning, he played 8, had one off, and played one before the injury, meaning that he “played” in 10 games instead of 9, this pushing him over the 9.6 game threshold to be eligible for the redshirt season, since being held out as a precaution or being a “healthy scratch” counts against games played.

I went through the schedule game by game (gopurpleaces stats). Hill played 6 D1 games and Oakland City and Midway. His last game he played was SIU on Jan 3. He is shown on the box score for the Jan 6 Bradley game with 0 minutes played. He does not show up entering the game on the play by play stats. So, I see 8 games played and eligible. What games do we disagree on?

My fault. He played 7, missed ISUr and Loyola, an then played against SIU and was listed against Bradley. I am still believing that ISU and Loyola is being counted against him though because by all other guidelines, he meets the criteria.

Scratch that last statement. With being listed in the Bradley game, he is no longer a candidate for a medical redshirt, as he would of had to of been injured in no later than the SIU game to qualify for it.

At that point, once listed in the Bradley game, games played becomes a moot point. Now, if they had played 33 games, it might be a different story.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:10 pm

Must be KJ's new coiffure?

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:31 pm

Ad1770 wrote:
I am still believing that ISU and Loyola is being counted against him though because by all other guidelines, he meets the criteria.

Scratch that last statement. With being listed in the Bradley game, he is no longer a candidate for a medical redshirt, as he would of had to of been injured in no later than the SIU game to qualify for it.

At that point, once listed in the Bradley game, games played becomes a moot point. Now, if they had played 33 games, it might be a different story.

What the hell does being listed mean?

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Tue Jun 05, 2018 1:40 pm

Ever think, Marty Hill may have just declared himself as a Senior?

arodd13
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 2000

Postby arodd13 » Tue Jun 05, 2018 3:07 pm

Austin Ace wrote:KJ, Noah and John Hall looked really good.
Marty Hill looked ok as well.
Not much video on Evan to make any judgment.
I wonder if Dainius is visiting family overseas during the break.

Really good to see KJ hitting the outside jumper. If he can do that, he has a chance of cracking the starting five in this uptempo offense.

Go Aces!!!

I'm a student at UE, and I can confirm that DC is on campus with the team, and I can also confirm that Marty Hill did indeed redshirt last year. It's going to be a fun year with Big Walt at the helm!

rpyke
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 2003

Postby rpyke » Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:10 pm

Glad to see KJ knocking them down. Huge step in his development, and I'm happy for him. He was one of my favorite guys last year, hope he cracks the rotation this year.

ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Tue Jun 05, 2018 6:07 pm

A short question for arodd13: a really strong student section has been missing the past couple of years. What should be done to reinvigorate student attendance at Aces home games? Strong, passionate student support WILL help win 2-3 close games on home court.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:19 pm

arodd13 wrote:
Austin Ace wrote:KJ, Noah and John Hall looked really good.
Marty Hill looked ok as well.
Not much video on Evan to make any judgment.
I wonder if Dainius is visiting family overseas during the break.

Really good to see KJ hitting the outside jumper. If he can do that, he has a chance of cracking the starting five in this uptempo offense.

Go Aces!!!

I'm a student at UE, and I can confirm that DC is on campus with the team, and I can also confirm that Marty Hill did indeed redshirt last year. It's going to be a fun year with Big Walt at the helm!

Thanks, good to hear. I guess there are other reasons why someone would not be in a video than being overseas. ;)

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Postby NumbersDontLie » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:05 am

At one point in time, the NCAA only allowed off-season workouts in groups of 3 or less. The emphasis is on skill development and individual drills. If the whole team was there it would just be ‘practice’ and those are not allowed until the first day allowed, sometime in October.

After watching the video several times Zapruder-style, I think that is still in effect. At the start, it looks like KJ, Kuhlman, and maybe Deandre?? working out. Noah, Marty, and John are all sitting on the bench, because they are the next workout group.

My guess: Joe Downs shows up as workout group 1 was ending, gets some shots of KJ shooting, as well as doing the initial intro. Interviews Coach, Noah, Marty, and John prior to their workout group, then sticks around to get some more action shots.

DC is probably in another workout group (or maybe by himself) because his skill work/development is something completely different than everyone else.

Is it November yet?

Aceup13
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1998

Postby Aceup13 » Wed Jun 06, 2018 10:59 am

ncace wrote:A short question for arodd13: a really strong student section has been missing the past couple of years. What should be done to reinvigorate student attendance at Aces home games? Strong, passionate student support WILL help win 2-3 close games on home court.

Winning and being relevant is almost the only way. We all had no problem showing up and filling student section and two sections behind when Wichita came to a solid Aces team 2 years ago

Return to “The Aces”