Walter McCarty announces first signing class at UE

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Re: Walter McCarty announces first signing class at UE

Postby Aces101 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:48 am

I just don’t see Shea handling the PG duties for long stretches of time. I don’t believe he was Eureka’s PG at the DIII level. He is a shooter and scorer, not a pass first PG as evidenced by averaging 1 assist per game.

I guess we can go with Riley and Givance at PG, but that makes me nervous since Riley isn’t a true PG and Givance is a true Freshman. I hope we can still get Hurley into the program.

ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Mon Jun 25, 2018 9:59 am

100%. We still need one guy, and if Hurley doesn't qualify, we need 2. Good D! teams don't operate well with point-guard-by-committee. Yes, Riley can provide valuable minutes in a game, but he's not a true 1. This is why i really liked the Washington kid who chose Utah Valley. We want a PG who is not only skilled with the ball, but WANTS the ball in his hands. Givance could be that guy, long term, but it's a lot to ask a freshman to play 20-25 mins. per game. On the recruiting numbers side, it's a long season, and we'll need at least one additional ball handler. There are still transfers declaring every day, so I have hopes that we'll still have a full squad of tough, conditioned guys. We'll need them come late January.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:45 am

I absolutely loved Boo's effort, will, &" game", even with his diminished abilities, in his last two seasons.
But, I also think KJ, was very impressive......when he was allowed to play his game and not trying to be Boo's clone.
I think with Coach McCarty's we will see more of the KJ, that rose to the top in a handful of games last year, when he wasn't having to look over his shoulder for Boo.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Mon Jun 25, 2018 11:59 am

COUTEAU wrote:I absolutely loved Boo's effort, will, &" game", even with his diminished abilities, in his last two seasons.
But, I also think KJ, was very impressive......when he was allowed to play his game and not trying to be Boo's clone.
I think with Coach McCarty's we will see more of the KJ, that rose to the top in a handful of games last year, when he wasn't having to look over his shoulder for Boo.

+1

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Mon Jun 25, 2018 2:18 pm

I believe the PG position will be between Givance and KJ.
KJ may blossom into a fine PG with the up style tempo.
Givance might surprise all of us since he is considered a true PG.

rpyke
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 2003

Postby rpyke » Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:12 pm

KJ will be fine at point if that's who coach decides to run it. This offense will allow a lot more freedom to say the least. Hard to see how anyone could really play point effectively in the offense we used to run.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Tue Jun 26, 2018 9:15 am

Nothing against KJ, but once Valley schools found out he had no jump shot his game went totally south...he was no longer able to draw fouls, and turnovers went up. Doesn't mean this season will be the same, I am sure he has improved over the summer. He was a considerable help early on last year. We will wait and see. I still believe however, Shea is going to handle the ball a lot.

Really hope Hurley gets his grades in order and able to get back on board.

Return to “The Aces”