1980 Evansville High School Semi-State New Albany-TH South

Discussions of all the Aces sports
User avatar
E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 757
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:33 am
Fan Since: 1967
Location: Under the Ohio River

1980 Evansville High School Semi-State New Albany-TH South

Postby E-Villan » Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:22 pm

If anyone doesn't remember what Indiana High School Basketball used to be like, there are a bunch of complete game videos on youtube. I stumbled across the 1980 Semi-State game between Terre Haute South and New Albany at Roberts. Future Ace Ritchie Johnson was playing for New Albany. There is even a nice interview with Dick Walters around the 1:26:30 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WFJzVdOpMnw&t=2352s

User avatar
COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 2507
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:04 am
Location: Seaside, Florida

Re: 1980 Evansville High School Semi-State New Albany-TH South

Postby COUTEAU » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:41 am

That was so cool.
Thanks for stumbling across and posting it.
Hard to realize, those "kids", are now in their mid fifties.
The wonder of documented video saved for future generations, may be the best part of the digital age.
My favorite parts, of your posted link (besides the game itself) were the commercials and crowd shots.
Seeing those (commercials) and knowing a few of those "locals", in the background shots and during the game was nostalgic.
Roberts looked good.
That's how I want to remember it....Before, even the first upgrade.
The center court UE logo, has always been my favorite, as well...….Wish The FC and university would bring that back.
Thx again, for sharing.

go aces
I'm on board!

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1374
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:00 am
Fan Since: 1980

Re: 1980 Evansville High School Semi-State New Albany-TH South

Postby muni cup14 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 10:19 am

That was cool.I attended both those games while I was a senior at north.North lost to Crawford Co.

GA Ace
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:32 pm
Fan Since: 1986

Re: 1980 Evansville High School Semi-State New Albany-TH South

Postby GA Ace » Fri Jun 29, 2018 1:51 pm

The actual court in the video would have been the one sold in pieces in 1982. Below is a topic started a couple years ago by River City Ace discussing this.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=798

Does anyone know what physically happened to the two courts that succeeded the court in the video? The first games I recall attending were Crews' teams around 1986-87, Evansville Thunder games, and high school games. At one point the half court logo was the Four Freedoms monument, I believe for 175th anniversary for the city of Evansville. I think this logo was present when Haffner scored 65 vs. Dayton in February 1989. The video for that has been removed from YouTube. Below are links from the 1985 IHSAA Semi-State that show the court with the Evansville Thunder logo, red paint that was the Thunder's primary color, and the old Ace Purple logo at half-court. The professional 3 point lanes were later removed and you could always see how they'd been scratched off after the Thunder left town.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nbfn_IiM9Jo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07Y90eSSayo

***Just saw this before submitting my reply. The 1988 NIT game vs Utah with the Four Freedoms monument painted at half-court. Thanks to River City Ace for posting this. Great to hear Mike Blake and Dean Webster on the call with Roberts rocking in the background. According to Mike at the beginning, this was also broadcast in Utah. Check out some of River City Ace's other posted videos, especially the IU vs UE pre-season NIT at MSG.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d73b3Ik4uEI

When the Stadium was remodeled a new parquet floor was used. It always looked good in my opinion and would have liked to see that one moved to the Ford Center.

Acepurple71
Ford Center Regular
Posts: 44
Joined: Thu Jan 11, 2018 12:32 pm
Fan Since: 1971

Re: 1980 Evansville High School Semi-State New Albany-TH South

Postby Acepurple71 » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:12 pm

I was good to see the OLD court from way back when. A lot of history was on that court. I wish they could have save it but sometime new is better. The Parquet floor would have been nice to move. Of course I still think the city made a BIG mistake in putting the stadium where it is. But in usual Evansville fashion I am sure that someone connected owned the property it is built on.

User avatar
pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Posts: 1277
Joined: Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:17 pm
Fan Since: 2003
Location: Evansville

Re: 1980 Evansville High School Semi-State New Albany-TH South

Postby pafan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:45 pm

Acepurple71 wrote:. But in usual Evansville fashion I am sure that someone connected owned the property it is built on.


The Executive Inn property, which is where 1/2 of the Ford Center and the Double Tree now stand, was bought by the city out of foreclosure from a Texas based bank. I'm not sure who owned the other, smaller buildings on Main St.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

User avatar
E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 757
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:33 am
Fan Since: 1967
Location: Under the Ohio River

Re: 1980 Evansville High School Semi-State New Albany-TH South

Postby E-Villan » Fri Jun 29, 2018 5:35 pm

pafan wrote:
Acepurple71 wrote:. But in usual Evansville fashion I am sure that someone connected owned the property it is built on.


The Executive Inn property, which is where 1/2 of the Ford Center and the Double Tree now stand, was bought by the city out of foreclosure from a Texas based bank. I'm not sure who owned the other, smaller buildings on Main St.


Correct. In the last 30-40 years, nearly every city that has built an arena or stadium has used them for downtown redevelopment. We didn't do anything different that just about every other city. There is no question downtown has finally started coming back to life. I think time is proving it was the correct location. I have never had a parking problem, and leaving is way quicker than trying to squeeze out of the two exits at Roberts lot.

My only complaint is it should have been big enough to try to attract NCAA games.

As for the parquet floor, correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was replaced a few years before they moved to the FC.

GA Ace
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 557
Joined: Thu Nov 10, 2016 7:32 pm
Fan Since: 1986

Re: 1980 Evansville High School Semi-State New Albany-TH South

Postby GA Ace » Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:24 pm

E-Villan wrote:
pafan wrote:
Acepurple71 wrote:. But in usual Evansville fashion I am sure that someone connected owned the property it is built on.


The Executive Inn property, which is where 1/2 of the Ford Center and the Double Tree now stand, was bought by the city out of foreclosure from a Texas based bank. I'm not sure who owned the other, smaller buildings on Main St.


Correct. In the last 30-40 years, nearly every city that has built an arena or stadium has used them for downtown redevelopment. We didn't do anything different that just about every other city. There is no question downtown has finally started coming back to life. I think time is proving it was the correct location. I have never had a parking problem, and leaving is way quicker than trying to squeeze out of the two exits at Roberts lot.

My only complaint is it should have been big enough to try to attract NCAA games.

As for the parquet floor, correct me if I am wrong, but I think it was replaced a few years before they moved to the FC.


https://youtu.be/txo64la2iE8
The postgame celebration for the last game has them on the parquet floor in February 2011.

Forever Purple
Ford Center Regular
Posts: 65
Joined: Fri Jan 10, 2014 1:07 pm
Fan Since: 1964

Re: 1980 Evansville High School Semi-State New Albany-TH South

Postby Forever Purple » Sat Jun 30, 2018 12:06 pm

"Great to hear Mike Blake and Dean Webster on the call with Roberts rocking in the background."

Wow! Packed house, boisterous crowd, genuine home court advantage.... Let's hope we soon experience a return to that level of excitement. On an unrelated note, that game certainly typified what a hard-nosed, leave-it-all-on-the-court kind of player Marty was.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1908
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 11:04 am
Fan Since: 1950

Re: 1980 Evansville High School Semi-State New Albany-TH South

Postby acecard » Sat Jun 30, 2018 2:43 pm

Forever Purple wrote:"Great to hear Mike Blake and Dean Webster on the call with Roberts rocking in the background."

Wow! Packed house, boisterous crowd, genuine home court advantage.... Let's hope we soon experience a return to that level of excitement. On an unrelated note, that game certainly typified what a hard-nosed, leave-it-all-on-the-court kind of player Marty was.

I guess we can all have our opinions on Marty's quality as a coach, but it can not be argued that he wasn't a hell of a basketball player. I believe that they said he scored more than 30 points more than 10 times that season. Hope we can find that type of player again. What made him special is that they didn't run the offense just thru him.


Return to “The Aces”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 5 guests