Marty Simmons hired by Clemson

Discussions of all the Aces sports
letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Re: Marty Simmons hired by Clemson

Postby letsgoAces » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:30 am

Marty will remain one of my all time favorite players, without a doubt. Very smart, got the most out of his ability, made everyone around him better. As a coach, other that running a clean program, was very poor. As a fan for over 50 years I can honestly say I witnessed some of the worst basketball from the Aces I have ever saw, against a schedule which was equally as poor. His version of the motion offense was antiquated beyond belief (by the way, 'Nova's version of the motion offense in no way resembles Simmons version.) I do believe the positon he landed at Clemson is a good fit for him. He can watch film and advise the head coach. I wish him well, despite the bitterness he obviously still holds against the program and the fans that held on to him longer than any coach could have ever expected.

GA Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1986

Postby GA Ace » Tue Jul 24, 2018 12:29 am

One Harrison grad replaces a fired Marty Simmons and another Harrison grad hires him for a new job. Way to go Warriors!!!

ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Sat Aug 04, 2018 6:57 pm

Just a quick comment about Brad Brownell. Clemson was once pretty similar to WKU, in comparison to UK, UofL. However, they have systematically developed their recruiting process to the point where they get good kids every year that are not necessarily 4 or 5 star, but solid. The result is that they can never be counted out of an ACC contest, Duke, UNC, whomever. Regardless of where he ends up, I think Marty will learn a lot at Clemson, maybe even retool himself to be relevant as a head coaching candidate at a mid-major. I mention this with all due respect. Sometimes we get too comfortable and we need new perspective. Good luck to Marty, and I'll be rooting for Clemson this season. My Clemson buds keep a close eye on me!

wildbill
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1975

Postby wildbill » Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:25 pm

I just wish Marty would have handled his dismissal better. The school gave him every opportunity to succeed. He failed. He should have at least thanked the university for his chance and thanked all of us fans.

mybigpurplebrain
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1982

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Mon Aug 13, 2018 10:25 pm

Kind of ironic that this quote was retweeted

The measure of who we are is how we react to something that doesn't go our way. – Gregg Popovich

Return to “The Aces”