Marty Simmons hired by Clemson

Discussions of all the Aces sports
E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Re: Marty Simmons hired by Clemson

Postby E-Villan » Sun Jul 15, 2018 10:45 am

PurpleWhiskers wrote:Unless I missed it, Sore Loser Simmons still hasn't said a parting word to the fans he pretended to love in his prepared remarks at every hoopfest. He said that the fans are what makes UE special. Sure, bla bla bla. Ignoring the UE fans on the way out the door he'll now say that the fans are what makes Clemson special. His script is as old as his offense. His tenure at UE was an empty hole. I care as much about Clemson as I did before they hired him. Not at all.

I understand the emotions of being fired from a public position, but clearly Marty has not shown the class of both Dick Walters and Steve Merfeld. Both of them made public announcements not only thanking the fans, but encouraging the players to stay and build on what they had started. Not only has Simmons snubbed the fans, he obviously worked very hard to encourage "his" players to transfer.

If the clan is bitter, then it is apparent they put themselves above the program. Bitter because he got a well paid position that he was not qualified for to begin with, numerous full ride educations, along with a leash longer than anyone in college athletics...all the while subjecting the fans he has no gratitude for with an unwatchable product against some of the worst non-con schedules imaginable. He drove the program to its lowest point in history, and he is bitter.

Like ncace has pointed out, it looks like the clan may already be putting themselves above another program, ignoring the rules and protocol in their zest to take snarky swipes on twitter. I too could care less about Clemson, but I do hope Marty gets some traumatic flashbacks every time he sees Coach K across the sidelines.

evilleman
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1992

Postby evilleman » Mon Jul 16, 2018 8:12 am

ncace wrote:Article in Greenville News this am says, "Simmons Apparently Hired as Clemson bball asst.". Brownell quoted that he cannot confirm because the "process is not complete." I don't doubt that Marty will go to Clemson, but he's in a lesser role there that doesn't include the authority to make announcements for the Ath. Dept. Maybe it's no big deal at all, but if I'm Brownell, and there are other pieces that need to fall into place (like an asst. leaving the program, etc.), a family announcement could put me in an uncomfortable spot. If Marty were still head coach, would he have appreciated a new asst. leaking ahead of the university?

This is pretty common practice across the landscape. I've seen it several times. Public universities will bring guys in and they will work there under a handshake deal until everything goes through HR process. That is why sites like footballscoop and hoopdirt break the news before any universities.

PurpleAces
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1980

Postby PurpleAces » Mon Jul 16, 2018 9:20 am

Congrats to Marty he got the best possible job he could get. Blake was right the Purple and Orange did get more exciting for him. He can actually watch what college basketball should be. I am happy for all of them. I am happy we don't have to watch the crap we watched for 11 years anymore. I am happy we don't have to see #50 do 114 ball sweeps a game and play 36 min a game when he deserved 5. I am happy we will finally watch a offense that doesn't rely on 1 guy to do all the scoring. I am happy to see some excitement sparked back into the program and it's only July. I am happy to finally see a coach building the public interest back up instead of being a hermit from March to October. I am happy to see a new coach that has filled his schedule with tough competition before coaching his first game. I am happy to see the talent he has brought in with a short amount of time to do so. Blake was right the Purple and Orange did get more exciting for both.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:18 am

While I am happy for Marty for finding another job, I do have to agree with some of the comments made by previous posters. It is a personal disappointment to me that even after the 'fallout" when Coach Simmons was fired, he never made a public statement to the university and to the the supporters of the program. I can only interpret that as just being bitter. Perhaps he felt "wronged" or "betrayed" , I am not sure. But certainly his silence since his dismissal, I think, dampens both his image and legacy he leaves behind. I always thought of Marty as being a class act, and I am not trying to throw him under a bus. But he should have been better than that to not to give some kind of "closure" to the 11 years the university gave him. Coaches have been fired over a lot less than what he was granted here. We all wished it would have worked out better...but it didn't. I have been watching Aces basketball now for about 5 decades, and he will remain one of my top favorite players. But it is truly a shame that before he walked out the door for the final time he could have paused and turned around for a moment to say a word or two. Instead, it would seem he simply slammed the door and left.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:52 am

This is all that I am going to say on this subject. I am quite happy that Marty has found another job, and hope that he, and his family are happy, but I was very disappointed in his reactions since he was fired. I have talked to Marty on several occasions, and found him to be a very classy individual, but his actions since being fired have been anything but classy. I know he was hurt by the way it was handled, but you have to be a bigger (no pun) man at times, and accept things as they are. I hope he does well at Clemson, and now let's get on with the Walter McCarty era at UE.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:36 am

Several have noted that Marty is known to be classy. I have no doubt that he is classy to his closest friends. Big deal, who isn't? To everyone else he is indifferent. Behind the aw-shucks facade you'll find a man who would rather not be in the same room with you. His quiet arrogance was shown by his disappearance in the off-season and by keeping the sports media uninformed the year round. He couldn't care less that fans wanted to be informed about the program. To him, it was none of our business. But when he did stoop to speak, his words were so empty by design that it was embarrassing to admit that you bothered listening to them. Good riddance.

kyace1
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1983

Postby kyace1 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:16 pm

This is how Marty should have handled the firing...

http://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/2411 ... o-ill-will

Matheny is a class act.

Jfrye12
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1978

Postby Jfrye12 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:19 pm

Congrats to Marty and family. I know this was a done deal for the last 2-3 weeks, and the family kept it quiet until Coach Brownell told them to let it out. So, those of you who think they put themselves above a program, YOU ARE WRONG.

Try to keep it classy UE

ChiTownAce
Bobblehead Owner

Postby ChiTownAce » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:38 pm

Jfrye12 wrote:Congrats to Marty and family. I know this was a done deal for the last 2-3 weeks, and the family kept it quiet until Coach Brownell told them to let it out. So, those of you who think they put themselves above a program, YOU ARE WRONG.

Try to keep it classy UE

I don't know about any coordinated effort to let the news out, but there were other posters on this board who knew of the deal 2-3 weeks ago.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader

Postby muni cup14 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:24 pm

Still no class on him being let go as coach

Return to “The Aces”