Postby Austin Ace » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:17 pm

Marty Simmons officially added to Clemson basketball coaching staff

https://amp.courierpress.com/amp/797203002?__twitter_impression=true

6th man
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Re: Marty Simmons hired by Clemson

Postby 6th man » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:22 pm

Congratulation on Marty getting a new position. something of interest would be the position
“assistant to the head coach”

I thought that an undergraduate would be doing that perhaps a student manager.

Cynically ...does it mean that Brad Brownell will be saying

Hey Marty could ya get me a cup of coffee
Hey Marty what a good Buffet in town
Hey Marty could you pick up a couple of dozen doughnuts for team and the guys... better get 30 if you're joining us

Looks like Brownell gave up his coed assistant for a oversize man companion.

Not sure what this job is. He won't be on the floor in interacting with the team,as Clemson has 3 assistants,and the rest of the athletic positions ,allowed by the NCAA, are filled.
Sounds to me as a friend doing a friend a favour. I only wonder if the situation was reversed would Brownell be on UE staff???

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
It's a great time to be an Aces fan
#getonboard

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:53 pm

According to other sports news outlets, this type of position does such things as reviewing opponent videos and helping keep players academically eligible. They are not allowed to recruit or provide on court coaching. A question was raised on Twitter as to whether he will be allowed to sit on the bench with the team during games but there was no response. I guess we will find out soon.

This was a newly created position for Clemson so basically Bonnell gave Marty a job until he can find a real coaching position or an assistant coaching position opens up at Clemson.

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces101 » Thu Jul 19, 2018 12:13 am

So, essentially an older version of a graduate assistant?

riverboat_gambler
Ford Center Regular

Postby riverboat_gambler » Thu Jul 19, 2018 2:04 am

Brownell is an incredibly generous man.

1987ace
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1966

Postby 1987ace » Thu Jul 19, 2018 6:05 am

This is the same position as Geoff Alexander was hired at Illinois for before last season. Like Geoff, Marty will be on the bench during games.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:18 am

https://mobile.twitter.com/i/web/status/1019932351034544130

Clemson's Brad Brownell has received a contract extension through the 2023-24 season, per release. Deal is for six years and 15 million dollars.

Perhaps a little job security for Brad (and Marty); but you never know in this line of work.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Jul 19, 2018 8:39 am

Certainly it is an odd position. I know Barry Hinson was working under Bill Self as a non-assistant at Kansas doing various basketball duties but not on the court. Eventually he got back to being a head basketball coach at SIU - but he had a much better record of success than Marty. Who knows what direction this will take Marty but it sure beats unemployment. I am guessing he may get an opportunity at some point for a lower d-1 or d-2 coach in the future. I still wonder about his overall health.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:54 am

There is no question Marty is knowledgeable, and should bring quite a bit to a bench, even in the ACC. His flaws..game management, stubbornness, recruiting and fan interaction really shouldn't be a problem in this type of role. I think he will make a fine assistant.

What I don't think is that he will ever be a head coach again. Even if someone was willing to look past his less than mediocre record, the flaws above, most notably his lack of interest in the fans or attendance, will make any AD and or Pres look elsewhere. Neither Walters or Merfeld have had a head coaching position since leaving here. Walters was more successful here, and had a much better overall resume. Maybe it has been by his choice, not sure. We can argue about Merfeld, but at least prior to here, he had D-1 success, and participated in the NCAA.

Big E in NBA
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 2010

Postby Big E in NBA » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:03 am

“assistant to the head coach”

It's like "The Office", Marty is "Assistant to the Regional Manager". Just a title to make him feel better

:lol: :lol:

Return to “The Aces”