Marty Simmons hired by Clemson

Discussions of all the Aces sports
User avatar
COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 2505
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 9:04 am
Location: Seaside, Florida

Re: Marty Simmons hired by Clemson

Postby COUTEAU » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:12 am

I could see Coach Simmons, ending up at a school, in The Ivy League.
Brown or Dartmouth perhaps. Where recruiting, attendance, or even winning isn't a priority.
Some of the schools, along the Eastern Seaboard, may also be a good fit for his style of coaching and non-attentive association with fans or media.
He'll end up somewhere, in charge of a DI program, within a year or two.

riverboat_gambler
Ford Center Regular
Posts: 34
Joined: Tue Apr 10, 2018 2:33 am

Re: Marty Simmons hired by Clemson

Postby riverboat_gambler » Thu Jul 19, 2018 11:43 am

Marty will coach at Edwardsville after they fire their coach.

User avatar
Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:08 pm
Fan Since: 1991
Location: Evansville, IN

Re: Marty Simmons hired by Clemson

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:31 am

Big E in NBA wrote:
“assistant to the head coach”


It's like "The Office", Marty is "Assistant to the Regional Manager". Just a title to make him feel better

:lol: :lol:


I immediately thought of The Office when I saw that, lol.

On a serious note, I wish him the best and I do think this is a perfect role for him.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

User avatar
E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 757
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:33 am
Fan Since: 1967
Location: Under the Ohio River

Re: Marty Simmons hired by Clemson

Postby E-Villan » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:34 am

Tom Servo wrote:
Big E in NBA wrote:
“assistant to the head coach”


It's like "The Office", Marty is "Assistant to the Regional Manager". Just a title to make him feel better

:lol: :lol:


I immediately thought of The Office when I saw that, lol.

On a serious note, I wish him the best and I do think this is a perfect role for him.


I did as well. For those that don't get the joke: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tQG15iM1UI

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1372
Joined: Fri Jan 16, 2015 6:00 am
Fan Since: 1980

Re: Marty Simmons hired by Clemson

Postby muni cup14 » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:49 am

If Marty takes another head coaching job,in which i dont think he will.
it will be when his youngest son goes to college.That way he can gaurentee
him 39 minutes of playing time.Could not resist

indymoon
Road Tripper
Posts: 128
Joined: Thu Feb 26, 2015 6:29 pm
Fan Since: 1980

Re: Marty Simmons hired by Clemson

Postby indymoon » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:23 am

Chris Jans held a similar position at Wichita State after being fired by Bowling Green and before being hired by New Mexico State.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Posts: 227
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:35 pm
Fan Since: 1977

Re: Marty Simmons hired by Clemson

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:49 am

Brownell was wise to sign a 6-year contract extension before he implements Marty's legendary, crowd-vanishing, antique offense.

JoePurple
Ford Center Regular
Posts: 60
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 1:14 am
Fan Since: 1987

Re: Marty Simmons hired by Clemson

Postby JoePurple » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:06 pm

Coach Simmons is a good coach and a good man. He put Evansville first for a large percentage of his adult life. He gave us long time fans some of the best memories we have of this program during his playing days. He learned from great "old school" coaches. He used an old school approach that just doesn't translate to success on this level anymore. In my eyes that doesn't take anything away from what he did for the school or who he is as a person. Bobby Knight was certainly one of the least approachable coaches in history. Jim Crews was funny and personable, but he didn't exactly set the gold standard for public relations. I am as excited as anyone for the new direction this program seems to be headed in, but I will not lose sight of all the great things Coach Simmons has done for this university and in turn this town. I know that most, if not all of us, wish him well in his future endeavors. Just a few on here that seem to have forgotten, or were never aware of what "The Mule" has accomplished here.

User avatar
stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:16 pm
Fan Since: 1964
Contact:

Re: Marty Simmons hired by Clemson

Postby stennisrm72 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 1:25 pm

JoePurple wrote:Coach Simmons is a good coach and a good man. He put Evansville first for a large percentage of his adult life. He gave us long time fans some of the best memories we have of this program during his playing days. He learned from great "old school" coaches. He used an old school approach that just doesn't translate to success on this level anymore. In my eyes that doesn't take anything away from what he did for the school or who he is as a person. Bobby Knight was certainly one of the least approachable coaches in history. Jim Crews was funny and personable, but he didn't exactly set the gold standard for public relations. I am as excited as anyone for the new direction this program seems to be headed in, but I will not lose sight of all the great things Coach Simmons has done for this university and in turn this town. I know that most, if not all of us, wish him well in his future endeavors. Just a few on here that seem to have forgotten, or were never aware of what "The Mule" has accomplished here.


We'll stated and I wholeheartedly agree. I think the motion offense can still succeed with modification. You need more than one "stud" in the scheme. You need 2 or 3 Colt Ryan's and D.J. Ballentine's on the floor. Add Giddy and Brian Hill that mix.

fg4ster
Bobblehead Owner
Posts: 466
Joined: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:57 pm
Fan Since: 1986

Re: Marty Simmons hired by Clemson

Postby fg4ster » Sun Jul 22, 2018 3:56 pm

stennisrm72 wrote:I think the motion offense can still succeed with modification. You need more than one "stud" in the scheme. You need 2 or 3 Colt Ryan's and D.J. Ballentine's on the floor. Add Giddy and Brian Hill that mix.


Totally agree. I think Marty would be a great assistant. He can get an open shot for a team’s stud at pretty much a 100% success rate. Plus, give him NOVA’s shooters, and no one would think his motion is boring.

I don’t think he was the right fit for us, and I’m 110% behind Walt. But I don’t want to overlook the glimpses we had of Marty’s teams clicking offensively. Those two Mercer/Valpo games a few years ago were gorgeous, for example. Marty’s problems were never with his Xs and Os. He just ignored the fact that he never had the 12 guys he needed to execute them.

If I were an AD, I’d want my head coach to be much more flexible in his thinking than Marty. But I’d love for my head coach to have Marty’s thinking on retainer.


Return to “The Aces”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], Google [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], SemRush [Bot] and 5 guests