2018 Team

Discussions of all the Aces sports
muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

2018 Team

Postby muni cup14 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 12:04 pm

Just to have something to talk about.What are some opinions on this year's team without Dru and Ryan.Did our staff get some players that will fill the void of those two players ,or not.Are we a better depth team than last year.Or if we still had Dru and Ryan mixed in with some of Walters recruits could we have been really good.

Aceup13
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1998

Re: 2018 Team

Postby Aceup13 » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:29 pm

Thinking last place. Hard to imagine any other in the first year of new coach with the 2 highest-impact players leaving. Hope I am wrong

PurpleAces
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1980

Postby PurpleAces » Fri Jul 27, 2018 4:44 pm

I'm thinking 5th or 6th in the Valley. There is a lot of talent on this team. No way this team finishes last.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:19 pm

I posted a couple weeks ago, I wouldn't really put too much emphasis on what the record is this year. I posted Crews' first year record - don't recall it off the top of my head but it wasn't good and I believe he finished in last place in the MCC. The key was by the 2nd season he was right in contention once he got his guys in place. I don't really expect that to happen here either, it will probably take several years to get things rolling as Walter has a much tougher road ahead of him and is being asked to clean up a much bigger mess than what Crews came into.

But it will be well worth it, the previous staff wasn't going to get it done so regardless of how bad it is, it is a step in the right direction. Like someone else said in the other thread, I don't think we lose by 60+ points on TV this year, so that's a plus...

People are just going to have to be patient. The school and the athletics dept. is pushing all the right buttons, and I really like some of the guys we've got. But everyone must remember, you can't climb out of a 1,000 foot crater over night, it's going to take some time and some patience.

Hopefully they do come out this year and are lights out all year, we'll just have to wait and see.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

mybigpurplebrain
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1982

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:42 pm

Aceup13 wrote:Thinking last place. Hard to imagine any other in the first year of new coach with the 2 highest-impact players leaving. Hope I am wrong

I don’t see a chance of last place .jmho

mybigpurplebrain
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1982

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:47 pm

Hard to imagine Dru’s D won’t be missed. I think his offense will be covered. Same as Ryan’s. I think it was shown how to stop him. To one dimensional .
I think our guys will be more multi dimensional and the free style of play will benifit all.

ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Fri Jul 27, 2018 6:51 pm

With both Dru and Ryan, plus DeAndre, Hall, etc. We would have been a tough out this year. If our guys can stay injury free, we will surprise a lot of folks. I don't expect us to be a top 4 team in the MVC, but I believe we'll improve as the year goes on. One good point is that we can shoot. We could have a number of nights when a guy hits for 25. It's gonna be fun. I can't wait to applaud the guys, and if we get the crowd out, that'll get us 2-3 wins by itself.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Fri Jul 27, 2018 7:13 pm

Obviously, they'll miss Dru & Ryan.
But, that being said, John Hall, Marty & Noah will pick up the scoring lapse.
I think both DC & Evan, will make huge strides from last years offensive production. They will have to step up their game, with DeAndre & Will chopping at their heels wanting more floor time.
KJ, will surprise a lot of those, in here that are ready to hand this team off to the newbies.

I foresee.....

Pre-MVC...…..10-4
VALLEY...…...10-8
St Louis...…....1-1
CBI or CIT.......2-1
23-14
@ The FC.....16 wins
A long awaited road win in Des Moines

go aces
I'm on Board!

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:34 pm

mybigpurplebrain wrote:I don’t see a chance of last place .jmho

Who do you think projects below the Aces? MSU, Drake, Evansville are all in the middle of complete rebuilds. Aces have 6 returning players, but only a couple who have substantial experience. MSU has Church, Dixon and Kreklow and a bunch of new guys. Drake has only two returners who weren't redshirted last season.

One of these three teams will almost certainly get the #10 vote in the preseason poll. I'd probably vote Drake for that position if they gave me a choice today. I don't have a vote.

But I do think it is possible that the Aces receive that #10 honor when the preseason poll comes out in October.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

riverboat_gambler
Ford Center Regular

Postby riverboat_gambler » Sat Jul 28, 2018 5:48 am

10th. Enjoy it while it lasts.

Return to “The Aces”