2018 Team

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Re: 2018 Team

Postby Ad1770 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 8:14 pm

For all of those people who are saying no experience at the head coach or a completely different system than what was used, I will say this.

In 1992, another college in Evansville hired a first time head coach for a team that only won 10 games, and lost nearly half of their team after that season. Said coach came in late (same as WM), hired his staff (which had no experience), recruited his team, instilled his system, and promptly won 22 games (lowest win total in his nine years), and qualified for the NCAA tournament (only 32 qualified for it). While I am not saying that this UE team will do that (although I will say that I believe they will win 20, beat a P5 this year, and finish with a better record than many MVC schools, and a better conference record than “tier 1” conference school ISUr), the proof is there that it can be done, even with everything most people want to put down as “negatives” for this team.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:43 pm

I’ve gone on record on here saying I could really care less what our record this year is. However, One thing I will add, as I don’t think it’s been mentioned, is you can’t really compare records between Simmons and McCarty. Mainly because McCarty is putting together a schedule where we are either playing tougher or at least similar level teams. We aren’t loading up on cupcakes at home like Simmons did. So right off the bat, the record is obviously going to be worse this year even if the team is the same, better, or worse because the competition will be tougher. Just wanted to throw that out there.

I could see about 6-7 MVC wins this year, I would say that’s really pretty decent given the mess he’s trying to clean up.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

riverboat_gambler
Ford Center Regular

Postby riverboat_gambler » Sun Aug 05, 2018 9:47 pm

211N-69 wrote:
UE11 wrote:
211N-69 wrote:Is your question really how are the Aces worse after losing their starting point guard and top scorer? Have you ever watched an MVC game before? In a guard dominated league, I'm not sure how a team with less D1 point guard experience than mathlete on prom night can expect to be better off after having unquestionable their best PG option with remaining eligibility transfer.

When the top scorer graduates, the following year, you have a different top scorer. I found that Taylor's 20 ppg average to be interesting and productive; however, it scarcely moved the needle on the team's 1-8 road record in the Valley. Without him, they could go 0-9, I suppose. I doubt it, so they aren't really worse, are they? A different top scorer will emerge and you will simply say, 'he's our top scorer.' Top scorers don't help you do anything. They just score more points. Unless they are Larry Bird, it doesn't matter who scores the points in the modern era. They brought in a grad transfer who scored 30-some a game last year. If you can shoot, you can shoot.

Seriously, Evansville will win at least one conference road game this year and will go at least 6-3 at home. That is NOT worse, regardless of who transfers.

I would be pretty surprised if Taylor’s & Dru’s production were replaced so easily. Those were two experienced, efficient, top level MVC players.

I would also be surprised with a 6-3 clip at Ford. Loyola, ISUr, & SIU are fielding deep, senior-laden rosters. ISUr (Copeland, Ndiaye) and SIU (Bol, Beane) add more talent even absent the additional year of collective experience. Running the table against the rest will be difficult as Bradley, Valpo, & UNI are expected to improve. Not to mention ISUb adding 2 P5 transfers.

This is Year 1 of a rebuild and system overhaul. It will take some time. We’re at the bottom of a cycle. I’m not putting stock into this year’s record - I honestly don’t think it matters - but would guess 3-6/0-9. Anything more is a phenomenal job done.

211N-69
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 211N-69 » Sun Aug 05, 2018 10:33 pm

riverboat_gambler wrote:
211N-69 wrote:
UE11 wrote:

I would be pretty surprised if Taylor’s & Dru’s production were replaced so easily. Those were two experienced, efficient, top level MVC players.

I would also be surprised with a 6-3 clip at Ford. Loyola, ISUr, & SIU are fielding deep, senior-laden rosters. ISUr (Copeland, Ndiaye) and SIU (Bol, Beane) add more talent even absent the additional year of collective experience. Running the table against the rest will be difficult as Bradley, Valpo, & UNI are expected to improve. Not to mention ISUb adding 2 P5 transfers.

This is Year 1 of a rebuild and system overhaul. It will take some time. We’re at the bottom of a cycle. I’m not putting stock into this year’s record - I honestly don’t think it matters - but would guess 3-6/0-9. Anything more is a phenomenal job done.

You are likely right that the Aces won't be a true contender. Claiming they will be is useful for conversation.

stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Mon Aug 06, 2018 7:35 am

Found this on Twitter this morning. It probably sums up how the fanbase should feel but I am optimistic.

Don't look for the big, quick improvement. Seek the small improvement one day at time. That's the only way it happens-and when it happens, it lasts. – John Wooden

purpleredbird
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1984

Postby purpleredbird » Mon Aug 06, 2018 8:33 am

Ad1770 wrote:For all of those people who are saying no experience at the head coach or a completely different system than what was used, I will say this.

In 1992, another college in Evansville hired a first time head coach for a team that only won 10 games, and lost nearly half of their team after that season. Said coach came in late (same as WM), hired his staff (which had no experience), recruited his team, instilled his system, and promptly won 22 games (lowest win total in his nine years), and qualified for the NCAA tournament (only 32 qualified for it). While I am not saying that this UE team will do that (although I will say that I believe they will win 20, beat a P5 this year, and finish with a better record than many MVC schools, and a better conference record than “tier 1” conference school ISUr), the proof is there that it can be done, even with everything most people want to put down as “negatives” for this team.

Love the optimism and pass that kool-aid please. I'll stay on record that I think a .500 record (both non-conf and conference) would be a tremendous achievement in year 1.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Mon Aug 06, 2018 11:59 am

purpleredbird wrote:
Ad1770 wrote:For all of those people who are saying no experience at the head coach or a completely different system than what was used, I will say this.

Love the optimism and pass that kool-aid please. I'll stay on record that I think a .500 record (both non-conf and conference) would be a tremendous achievement in year 1.

I would most certainly agree.

Return to “The Aces”