2018 Team

Discussions of all the Aces sports
GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Re: 2018 Team

Postby GoAcesgo » Mon Jul 30, 2018 1:00 pm

I maybe in the minority here, but I will reserve my evaluation of Ryan and Dru after thier college careers are over. Here is my gut feeling, Taylor won't start and e will have a difficult time in the big 10, I feel like he is weak in some areas, Dru will play simply because of his defense....Im curious to see.

ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Mon Jul 30, 2018 2:57 pm

I wish both of them the best. Chris Collins likes the 3, and Ryan will get shots. It'll be interesting to see if he's a starter or a 6th man off the bench. A mediocre defensive game could limit his playing time, but under a new coach, who knows. Yes, Dru will play in '19-20 for Mizzou. Every Big10 team can use a defensive stopper, and that's good for Dru because the other Smith kid they picked up from Illinois is really talented offensively, plus Mizzou has at least 2 other guards who will also play. A lot of mid-major kids aspire to move up into P5 situations, but it doesn't always work out better. Dru could have been Walter's "coach on the floor", MVC def. player of the year, all-conf. etc. He was a fit here. At Mizzou, we'll see.

GeneralZod1991
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1987

Postby GeneralZod1991 » Mon Jul 30, 2018 3:29 pm

I don't care much about next year's record. What I care about most is laying the right foundation. An improved schedule. A more up-tempo style of play that will challenge the opposition. Bigger crowds at the FC and more enthusiasm -- regionally -- for the program. Recruits that can truly make an impact. I want Walter to be able to put his system in place. And when he does, I think the wins will eventually come.

I have respect for Marty, but I just hated how he scheduled so many nonconference cupcakes from the SWAC, etc. He'd clean up on that schedule, try to go .500 in the Valley, and bullsh*t his way to 20 wins like it was a major accomplishment. I think Walter will approach this on more honest terms, and recognize that we need a challenging nonconference schedule to get ready for MVC play. This is usually a one-bid league (especially with Wichita State gone), so the Valley play is where it truly matters. You build a team that's battle-tested for March, even if you have to take some hits early.

Atlanta Ace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Atlanta Ace » Mon Jul 30, 2018 6:37 pm

GeneralZod1991 wrote:I don't care much about next year's record. What I care about most is laying the right foundation. An improved schedule. A more up-tempo style of play that will challenge the opposition. Bigger crowds at the FC and more enthusiasm -- regionally -- for the program. Recruits that can truly make an impact. I want Walter to be able to put his system in place. And when he does, I think the wins will eventually come.

Great post!
Let's get this McCarty Party started.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Tue Jul 31, 2018 9:40 am

ISUred and Loyola will be top guns in the MVC this season. Should be a great year for the league. Bradley and SIU look good as well as well and should be very competitive.
Aces definitely would have been more competitive with Taylor and Smith and could have excelled under Coach McCarty's up tempo system. But I really don't think much about their absence anymore. I am looking for the team to form a foundation, a wining and positive culture, that makes the university and the city of Evansville attractive for everyone who lives or visits here. The coaching staff is off to a great start in heading the program that direction.

purpleredbird
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1984

Postby purpleredbird » Wed Aug 01, 2018 7:54 am

letsgoAces wrote:ISUred and Loyola will be top guns in the MVC this season. Should be a great year for the league. Bradley and SIU look good as well as well and should be very competitive.
Aces definitely would have been more competitive with Taylor and Smith and could have excelled under Coach McCarty's up tempo system. But I really don't think much about their absence anymore. I am looking for the team to form a foundation, a wining and positive culture, that makes the university and the city of Evansville attractive for everyone who lives or visits here. The coaching staff is off to a great start in heading the program that direction.

That's the ticket. I'm the same as the record this year does not really mean a lot to me. As long as the style of play gets butts in the seats, I am hoping that there will be some patience. I truly think that .500 record for this season would be a fantastic accomplishment for UE and is probably more than I expect. Coach WM did not seem to take the short term "let's bring in a bunch of Juco guys" approach. I really think he is trying to set a foundation. let's hope that people give him time to do that.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:26 am

purpleredbird wrote:
letsgoAces wrote:ISUred and Loyola will be top guns in the MVC this season. Should be a great year for the league. Bradley and SIU look good as well as well and should be very competitive.

That's the ticket. I'm the same as the record this year does not really mean a lot to me. As long as the style of play gets butts in the seats, I am hoping that there will be some patience. I truly think that .500 record for this season would be a fantastic accomplishment for UE and is probably more than I expect. Coach WM did not seem to take the short term "let's bring in a bunch of Juco guys" approach. I really think he is trying to set a foundation. let's hope that people give him time to do that.

I completely agree.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

svmar10
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby svmar10 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 8:58 am

I only have 2 thoughts coming into this season. (1) I'm really interested in seeing Noah and KJ come out of the blocks un-shackled and playing to their potential. (2) Every time I see Walter I feel good, he makes me smile. Based on 11 years of false hope, I'm prepared to give him all the rope he needs.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Wed Aug 01, 2018 11:28 am

svmar10 wrote:I only have 2 thoughts coming into this season. (1) I'm really interested in seeing Noah and KJ come out of the blocks un-shackled and playing to their potential. (2) Every time I see Walter I feel good, he makes me smile. Based on 11 years of false hope, I'm prepared to give him all the rope he needs.

I think most clear headed people feel this way. We are in uncharted territory here. We've got a new coach, a new system, and a new culture. Who knows how it turn out. As someone else said elsewhere, they could finish anywhere between 1 and 10.

rpyke
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 2003

Postby rpyke » Thu Aug 02, 2018 9:05 pm

Looked and saw that players have taken pictures and they're posted on the official team website. So if anyone's wondering specific heights or what numbers guys will be wearing.

Return to “The Aces”