Maui Mainland Tournament - Nov 17-18

Discussions of all the Aces sports
6th man
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Re: Maui Mainland Tournament - Nov 17-18

Postby 6th man » Tue Sep 04, 2018 10:33 pm

acecard wrote:Well, according to Pat Hickey, KWC, Texas Southern, and the Aces are it for the Maui Mainland Tourney. No Chaminade. I certainly hope we don't get roped into this kind of crap again in the future. I don't have a real problem with either KWC, or Texas Southern, but if we want to have any chance to get an "at large" to the NCAA's we need to play better teams.

Charminade may have caused UE problems of playing too many DII in a season. This "tournament' is a sham but it won't mount toanything in the SOS this year. For a piss poor tournament Marty left us with, here is to a better overall schedule! Future is Aces basketball...not Martyball.

It would have been nice to get a Iowa State game or Auburn in place of the Albion game. Texas Southern gotfour games, but they made the tourney last year
It's a great time to be an Aces fan
#getonboard

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Wed Sep 05, 2018 12:36 pm

Too bad, it's an Hawaiian thing.
Could have deleted The Silverswords and replaced them with USI.
Could have filled The FC, both nights.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:00 pm

COUTEAU wrote:Too bad, it's an Hawaiian thing.

USI is 0-4 vs UE and the last meeting was a blowout at the Ford Center with 3000 people dressed up as empty seats and after about the first ten minutes the USI fans were as quiet as mimes. I'm fairly sure that none of the games were sold-out other than maybe the first game which drew 12,000. The attendance to those games dropped each time from 12,000 to 10,000 to 9,000 to 7000. But don't get me wrong, a game with USI isn't likely to fill the Ford Center but it will be a large crowd, maybe the largest of the year, and dollars make the world go round. I would play them every year as long as the fans remain interested.

stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:25 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:
COUTEAU wrote:Too bad, it's an Hawaiian thing.

USI is 0-4 vs UE and the last meeting was a blowout at the Ford Center with 3000 people dressed up as empty seats and after about the first ten minutes the USI fans were as quiet as mimes. I'm fairly sure that none of the games were sold-out other than maybe the first game which drew 12,000. The attendance to those games dropped each time from 12,000 to 10,000 to 9,000 to 7000. But don't get me wrong, a game with USI isn't likely to fill the Ford Center but it will be a large crowd, maybe the largest of the year, and dollars make the world go round. I would play them every year as long as the fans remain interested.

I think with the dwindling attendance as you noted, the fan interest in a UE vs. USI game is gone. The only time it was of interest was the first game only because it hadn't been done. I'm in the camp of no D2 our lower except for exhibition games. I'd take issue with the game being the best attended. Past history suggests that would be the case but it's a new day in Aces basketball.

COUTEAU
Head Cheerleader

Postby COUTEAU » Wed Sep 05, 2018 6:28 pm

I was making the comment in reference to showcasing three "local" programs over the two nights.
I was thinking USI might draw better, than another DII school, 4K miles and across an ocean away.
I understand Chaminade has to be involved, being part of The Maui Mainland.
I also realize, if The ACES aren't included in that field, both the Xavier & Illinois games also go away.
So, The ACES are obliged to host The Silverswords.

Not sure of attendance numbers in past USI-ACES games. So, I'll take your word for it.
Perhaps, in the future, The ACES can host a two night double header between another DI school playing KWC.
Followed by The ACES-Screaming Eagles.
Second night KWC-USI, prior to The ACES game.

ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:46 pm

Hopefully, we are in a significant non-conf. tournament every year. Play 2-3 P5 teams to test our mettle and give the fans a potential road trip.

The U of I and X games this year are outstanding. A regional P5 and an old rival.....LOVE IT! As I look back on our prospects in the Spring, this is a non-conf. that few could argue with. Go ACES.!!

Return to “The Aces”