Evansville Aces at WSU Shockers

Discussions of all the Aces sports
pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Re: Evansville Aces at WSU Shockers

Postby pafan » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:43 pm

COUTEAU wrote:I read your posts, filled with Purple Passion.
And wanted to join in.
As bad as it obviously was, I can't justify using the "bad officiating" excuse though.

WSU had 15 more free throw attempts and WSU won by 14. If they had called it so that both teams had 33 FTA, it would have at least been close.

But, that probably would have made the officiating worse, not better. There's a reason Evansville gets called for a lot of fouls: our defense is often a quarter-step slow. Three straight games with foul trouble says something.

Oh, and welcome back, COUTEAU.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

6th man
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 6th man » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:42 pm

David Goldenberg wrote:Expected outcome, really proud of how the Aces played.

As always ESPNU announcers reminding everyone of how young we are and gave nothing but praise and excitement for the future of ACES basketball.

+1
I'm on Board
UE Integrity
GO ACES

Ace Dad
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 2000

Postby Ace Dad » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:55 pm

COUTEAU wrote:
Ace Dad wrote:I will be at the game as long as an ice or snow storm does not lock me into Kansas City. Anyone else in the Kansas area going?

Your comment on The MVC site.....
Postby Ace Dad » February 1st, 2014, 7:03 pm

"The refs had nothing to do with who won the game. We got away with some grabbing."

You may be correct.
The ACES may have been sly enough to "grab" a defender, chasing DJ around.
I also agree, the officials had nothing to do with who won this game today.
However, your failure to address the fact of how bad the officiating was AGAINST your son's alma-mater is shameful.

You need to change your name to MVCdad NOT ACEdad!

Couteau, as a 57 year old man who watched his two sons play an approximate total of 900 or so AAU, high school, college, and European games, I learned a long time ago not to whine about referees because the players win and lose the games. Are you going to complain about the bad officiating when it is to our benefit, or only when you lose? Shameful is a word that should be used for world peace, hunger, and drug addiction. Jeez, it is a damn basketball game. Loosen up. I have been offending people on MVC forums for years, typically as I defend the Aces.
Last edited by Ace Dad on Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:56 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Aargh
New User
New User
Fan Since: 2001

Postby Aargh » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:55 pm

I'm a WSU fan with a few observations.

Mockeviscious is neither quick, nor fast. He's a decent post player, but he's got liabilities defending post players who are both quick and fast. WSU's current post players are difficult for Mock to defend. Mock reminds me of Garrett Stutz. The comment on Stutz was that he couldn't breathe without getting called for a foul.

That's what Mock is getting now. It's not new. It's not unique to Mock. It's not because the Aces were playing the Shox. Big guys who are not quick get called for fouls against quicker players. Mock was maybe half a step slow getting to spots, but he kept going to those spots. That lets opponents jump into him and he gets the foul called.

The Shox game plan was obviously to go after Mock to get him off the court with foul problems. When Stutz played for the Shox, many opponents used that game plan and got Stutz into foul problems. Shocker fans groused forever that the officiating was unfair.

The Shox were attacking the rim. The Aces were trying to set up jump shots. The Shox had a game plan designed to get to the line. The Aces game plan didn't lead to fouling situations.

When one team game plans to get free throws, and the other team game plans to not get free throws, it's a bit disingenuous to blame the referees when the FT shooting numbers are lopsided.

6th man
Head Cheerleader

Postby 6th man » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:57 pm

it isn't about about what the officials call. It is about who it is called against and when. The refs took EMO out of the game That is an important weapon for UE'S game plan. It shows and WSU exposed it's importance.

WSU is in line to get "Evansvilled" at the Ford
I'm on Board
UE Integrity
GO ACES

Ace Dad
Road Tripper

Postby Ace Dad » Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:59 pm

sect.3purple wrote:
COUTEAU wrote:
Ace Dad wrote:I will be at the game as long as an ice or snow storm does not lock me into Kansas City. Anyone else in the Kansas area going?

Your comment on The MVC site.....
Postby Ace Dad » February 1st, 2014, 7:03 pm

"The refs had nothing to do with who won the game. We got away with some grabbing."

You may be correct.
The ACES may have been sly enough to "grab" a defender, chasing DJ around.
I also agree, the officials had nothing to do with who won this game today.
However, your failure to address the fact of how bad the officiating was AGAINST your son's alma-mater is shameful.

You're so damn politically correct, to not offend anyone on The MVC boards, it's bloody nauseating.
You need to change your name to MVCdad NOT ACEdad!

Thank you, Couteau,
As you probably noticed, I have been doing battle, almost single-handedly , with several of the WSU posters....just couldn't let such a one-sided officiated game go by without a word in support of the way the Aces played..never said that we WOULD have won, but that our fair chance to win was interfered with by the terrible calls, especially the calls that caused Mock to be taken out...that started the comeback by WSU.

And, yes, I saw Ace Dad's comment....he comes on this site like a wise man always so calmly and philosophically, tells many posters how they should be feeling, and posting, always so cool and non-emotional. I think his true colors showed with that comment today, and I don't think they are purple and orange! Had me fooled for a time.

I saw his comment on the MVC site about our "grabbing" as though that evened everything out and made the bad (and I did think it WAS bad) officiating not a factor. I simply ignored
it as I felt it didn't deserve a comeback.

Section, your post on MVCFANs dripped with purple Kool-Aid and had no logic. None. It was filled with pure emotion and this contributed to you blaming the referees instead of talking about the basketball reasons we were beat: talent, post play, depth, quickness, and inferior talent and experience on our side. We will get better.
Last edited by Ace Dad on Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ace Dad
Road Tripper

Postby Ace Dad » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:00 am

6th man wrote:it isn't about about what the officials call. It is about who it is called against and when. The refs took EMO out of the game That is an important weapon for UE'S game plan. It shows and WSU exposed it's importance.

No. Mock takes himself out of games with his relatively slower feet, poor positioning, and his inability to establish a defensive position before defending. He will get better.

6th man
Head Cheerleader

Postby 6th man » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:00 am

Aargh wrote:I'm a WSU fan with a few observations.

Mockeviscious is neither quick, nor fast. He's a decent post player, but he's got liabilities defending post players who are both quick and fast. WSU's current post players are difficult for Mock to defend. Mock reminds me of Garrett Stutz. The comment on Stutz was that he couldn't breathe without getting called for a foul.

That's what Mock is getting now. It's not new. It's not unique to Mock. It's not because the Aces were playing the Shox. Big guys who are not quick get called for fouls against quicker players. Mock was maybe half a step slow getting to spots, but he kept going to those spots. That lets opponents jump into him and he gets the foul called.

The Shox game plan was obviously to go after Mock to get him off the court with foul problems. When Stutz played for the Shox, many opponents used that game plan and got Stutz into foul problems. Shocker fans groused forever that the officiating was unfair.

The Shox were attacking the rim. The Aces were trying to set up jump shots. The Shox had a game plan designed to get to the line. The Aces game plan didn't lead to fouling situations.

When one team game plans to get free throws, and the other team game plans to not get free throws, it's a bit disingenuous to blame the referees when the FT shooting numbers are lopsided.

One word "bull shit". watch the replay I have it on DVR come on by
I'm on Board
UE Integrity
GO ACES

6th man
Head Cheerleader

Postby 6th man » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:01 am

Ace Dad wrote:
6th man wrote:it isn't about about what the officials call. It is about who it is called against and when. The refs took EMO out of the game That is an important weapon for UE'S game plan. It shows and WSU exposed it's importance.

No. Mock takes himself out of games with his relatively slower feet, poor positioning, and his inability to establish a defensive position before defending. He will get better.

SEE NOTE ABOVE Socker fan
I'm on Board
UE Integrity
GO ACES

Ace Dad
Road Tripper

Postby Ace Dad » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:06 am

6th man wrote:
Ace Dad wrote:

SEE NOTE ABOVE Socker fan

Stop the whining. We get calls that we should not get. High school basketball fans do not whine as much as us.

Return to “The Aces”