Evansville Aces at WSU Shockers

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Aces44
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1992

Re: Evansville Aces at WSU Shockers

Postby Aces44 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:19 am

Some classy WSU posts here. Welcome aboard.

There is also some insanity in this thread.
Proud of our guys, but we have to be more balanced.

acesfan65
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1975

Postby acesfan65 » Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:26 am

I've never posted on another team's board, don't visit the MVC site much anymore either, and have only visited another team's board a handful of times ever! So much negative useless ranting, don't have time for that and don't really care what other fans say. I've never logged in to the MVC site to insult any other team, or purposely misspell or vote out of the league BS!

But, I enjoyed reading my wife loves purple's post. I too want wsu to win every game but 1 or 2. I root for all MVC teams till they play UE, I'd have to be a real asshole not to.

We still have several games to win, this season is not over! Let's move on to da bears and filling up the ford center. If we get an atmosphere like we had for the bradley game this one should be a W. We are sill just two games out of a tie for third!

I'll say it again proud of how this team is playing and growing, let's go UE!!!!

fg4ster
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1986

Postby fg4ster » Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:41 am

(1) There's no sense in complaining about the officiating. Lawyers would call it an "average reciprocity of advantage." The refs take away from you just as much as they give you. So even the bad calls are fair--you'll benefit from them just as often as you don't.

(2) I love the comparison of Mock and Stutz. I just hope Mock stays around long enough for him to turn into Stutz-the-senior. He could be so good for us.

(3) I also love the compliments for Marty. That makes two final-four coaches that we know about that have picked Marty's brain about the motion--Marshall and Stevens. Let's face it--until Mock, we've never had anyone resembling Stutz. We've never had guys like Early, Cotton, or Van Vleet. But when we've had veteran teams, we've been able to compete in the conference. Recruiting has skyrocketed, though. I think it's only a matter of time for us to get those types of guys. Just think what Marty could do with them.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:06 am

I've always thought that personal fouls should be counted, but free throws should should be eliminated. The team making the most field goals should be declared the winner. The Aces had one more field goal than the Shockers.

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:08 am

acesfan65 wrote:I've never posted on another team's board, don't visit the MVC site much anymore either, and have only visited another team's board a handful of times ever!

Here's a sample:

(I expected him [Blake Simmons] to be a lot worse in this game considering comments from Evansville fans.)

Zing.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Aces & Eights » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:37 am

Great post by the WSU fans. Nice to see an honest view of the program by basketball fans that are neither pro Marty or anti Marty. Good luck with the rest of your season, except for your Ford Center rematch.

fg4ster
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1986

Postby fg4ster » Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:38 am

pafan wrote:
(I expected him [Blake Simmons] to be a lot worse in this game considering comments from Evansville fans.)

Zing.

And that wasn't even one of his better games.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:35 pm

My wife likes purple wrote:WSU fan here - a couple of thoughts-

1) REALLY enjoyed your women's players screaming from their seats in the rafters. at first everyone is like "OMG - who is that?" They were up behind us and good natured. I think you will find most fans here respect opposing fans who come to the games and don't make it personal. By the end of the game , when the band was playing "Heeeey Baby , will you be my girl", the student section rowdies were singing and pointing to the girls and one of your players stood up and was dancing and waving back. Pretty funny. ( can't guarantee it, but there might have been a few "Daddy's Boy"s coming from up that way . . . jus' sayin')

2) I watched the replay to hear the commentary and I thought Holthus and MArk did a good job giving your team love for what they are doing well and where they are going. On a side note, Mark, the color commentator attended his father's funeral on Friday - gutsy performance in itself.

3) I like to watch the opposing VIP fans, usually boosters and admins that get to sit behind the team. You had more fans than any this year and they seemed to really enjoy the video productions. We have a new giant scoreboard and its pretty good. One of your guys especially like a production they do at every game that is shown with about 5 minutes left. No matter what the score, some people always leave early to "Beat the crowd". Every game at the under 4 time out, there is a video of the same student trying to sneak out and get past the mascot. This week he used deception to finally reach the parking lot and WUShock comes screaming out of nowhere on the back of a 4-wheeler, throws a net over him and leaps onto him - the tag line is "Don't Leave early". Another one is sponsored by a fan apparel shop - they call it "What Not To Wear" and zoom in on people on the big scoreboard typically wearing KU or K-State gear. They zoomed in on some people wearing the purple and orange and they proudly stood and waved. Funny.

4) Marty seems to be a Helluva coach - in the post game press conference Marshall had nothing but love for that motion offense, giving big props to Marty - Marshall does not suffers fools gladly and has an ego the size of Texas, but he said if he and Marty are ever in different conferences he is gonna sit down and pick his brain about the motion offense. Rarely do you hear something like that from MArshall.

5) I swear there was a questionable out of bounds call at the UE end of the court and the ref looked like he was looking at Marty for the call and Marty made it - Hope the hell he was really looking at another ref. Another time there was a tie up and the ref called a time out which favored UE - Marty started laughing, like "I did, really?"

6) Do you guys EVER not score on an in-bounds play - that stuff is good.

7) The rematch should be a great atmosphere, but I am just trying to imagine in two years when Baker and VanVleet are seniors and your guys are together for another two years - it should be something.

Hope you win all but one of your remaining games.

Thanks for stopping by, and post more often. This is the kind of posting that the old Valley boards were full of before the trolls took over. Hope you guys can be the last ones standing on that Monday night!!

6th man
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 6th man » Sun Feb 02, 2014 2:58 pm

After a busy day at work I got to watch the game on DVR. I was overly upset with the calls on Mockevious but that didn't lose the game for Evansville. The calls weren't beneficial to the Aces game plan but it is the lack of experience deep players at the 4 &5 positions. I feel that I was rude to several posters here and hope that they accept my sincere regrets for my posts. As An avid Aces fan,sometimes, I let my thought not balance with the reality of the situation

Thank you
I'm on Board
UE Integrity
GO ACES

Ace Dad
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 2000

Postby Ace Dad » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:29 pm

fg4ster wrote:(1) There's no sense in complaining about the officiating. Lawyers would call it an "average reciprocity of advantage." The refs take away from you just as much as they give you. So even the bad calls are fair--you'll benefit from them just as often as you don't.

(2) I love the comparison of Mock and Stutz. I just hope Mock stays around long enough for him to turn into Stutz-the-senior. He could be so good for us.

(3) I also love the compliments for Marty. That makes two final-four coaches that we know about that have picked Marty's brain about the motion--Marshall and Stevens. Let's face it--until Mock, we've never had anyone resembling Stutz. We've never had guys like Early, Cotton, or Van Vleet. But when we've had veteran teams, we've been able to compete in the conference. Recruiting has skyrocketed, though. I think it's only a matter of time for us to get those types of guys. Just think what Marty could do with them.

Coach Marshall has the greatest respect for Coach Simmons and he also understands that the UE program does not have the same resources as WSU. Bottom line is the MVC coaches know that Marty Simmons is able to get more juice per squeeze than many others. I believe Coach Marshall was being sincere with the handshake.

Return to “The Aces”