Evansville Aces at WSU Shockers

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Re: Evansville Aces at WSU Shockers

Postby Aces & Eights » Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:43 pm

Ace Dad wrote:
fg4ster wrote:(1) There's no sense in complaining about the officiating. Lawyers would call it an "average reciprocity of advantage." The refs take away from you just as much as they give you. So even the bad calls are fair--you'll benefit from them just as often as you don't.

(2) I love the comparison of Mock and Stutz. I just hope Mock stays around long enough for him to turn into Stutz-the-senior. He could be so good for us.

(3) I also love the compliments for Marty. That makes two final-four coaches that we know about that have picked Marty's brain about the motion--Marshall and Stevens. Let's face it--until Mock, we've never had anyone resembling Stutz. We've never had guys like Early, Cotton, or Van Vleet. But when we've had veteran teams, we've been able to compete in the conference. Recruiting has skyrocketed, though. I think it's only a matter of time for us to get those types of guys. Just think what Marty could do with them.

Coach Marshall has the greatest respect for Coach Simmons and he also understands that the UE program does not have the same resources as WSU. Bottom line is the MVC coaches know that Marty Simmons is able to get more juice per squeeze than many others. I believe Coach Marshall was being sincere with the handshake.

It looked like a sincere handshake to me. As he whispered in Marty's ear, I imagined Marshall apologized about the homer refereeing. It was a good effort by the Aces against an excellent mature basketball team.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:05 pm

I think Marshall was being sincere and respectful and never thought about the refs calls.

Ace Dad
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 2000

Postby Ace Dad » Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:17 pm

IBLEEDPURPLE wrote:I think Marshall was being sincere and respectful and never thought about the refs calls.

Yes. The home court coach wants homer calls and can care less about the opposing coach's feelings because it is part of the game. There is no "I am sorry" in war, love, and basketball.

Aces12
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces12 » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:15 am

My take on this game was when Big E was in the game we looked like the better team. We lack the depth of another impact player like him so when he gets in foul trouble we are in trouble. I did think a few of his fouls were pretty tick tack at best but we have to learn to play with and without him in the game. Thing plenty of positives came from the game, we are growing we are improving I do not think any team wants to face us in St. Louis esp if we continue to get better from this point forward.

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Postby stl scooter » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:20 am

Aces12 wrote:Thing plenty of positives came from the game, we are growing we are improving I do not think any team wants to face us in St. Louis esp if we continue to get better from this point forward.

The MSU game will tell us a lot about this team. The schedule is favorable for us the rest of the way.

Go Aces!!!
#ForTheAces #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

fg4ster
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1986

Postby fg4ster » Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:48 am

Aces12 wrote:My take on this game was when Big E was in the game we looked like the better team. We lack the depth of another impact player like him so when he gets in foul trouble we are in trouble. I did think a few of his fouls were pretty tick tack at best but we have to learn to play with and without him in the game. Thing plenty of positives came from the game, we are growing we are improving I do not think any team wants to face us in St. Louis esp if we continue to get better from this point forward.

Totally agree. We've got to get another guy that can take the load off of Mock. Howard's definitely improving, but no matter how good he gets, we could still use more help in the post. If we can get the right guy with Sawvell's scholarship, and if Mislav can come in and be a big scorer right away, I'll like our chances next year.

A few people have mentioned that they've heard the possibility of Mock not being here next year. Man, I hope that's not true. He's far from home now, and if he wanted to, I'm sure he could play professionally tomorrow much closer to home. But I hope he sees how good he could be in the NCAA. He can only play in March Madness in Evansville. And I think his class could get there if the right pieces fall into place. But without him, I'm not so sure.

Ace Dad
Road Tripper

Postby Ace Dad » Mon Feb 03, 2014 9:43 am

fg4ster wrote:
Aces12 wrote:My take on this game was when Big E was in the game we looked like the better team. We lack the depth of another impact player like him so when he gets in foul trouble we are in trouble. I did think a few of his fouls were pretty tick tack at best but we have to learn to play with and without him in the game. Thing plenty of positives came from the game, we are growing we are improving I do not think any team wants to face us in St. Louis esp if we continue to get better from this point forward.

Totally agree. We've got to get another guy that can take the load off of Mock. Howard's definitely improving, but no matter how good he gets, we could still use more help in the post. If we can get the right guy with Sawvell's scholarship, and if Mislav can come in and be a big scorer right away, I'll like our chances next year.

A few people have mentioned that they've heard the possibility of Mock not being here next year. Man, I hope that's not true. He's far from home now, and if he wanted to, I'm sure he could play professionally tomorrow much closer to home. But I hope he sees how good he could be in the NCAA. He can only play in March Madness in Evansville. And I think his class could get there if the right pieces fall into place. But without him, I'm not so sure.

We need to recruit another player from his country this year. Seriously. I would love to have 3 players from the same country, in different year groups, so they can have some sembalence of "home." And while we are at, UE needs to recruit 5-10 students who are not athletes from his homeland.

stl scooter
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1987

Postby stl scooter » Mon Feb 03, 2014 10:37 am

Absolutely agree Ace Dad!

In other news: Ace Dad will be opening a Lithuanian restaurant on Burkhardt in the near future!
#ForTheAces #GetOnBoard #ImOnBoard

Ace Dad
Road Tripper

Postby Ace Dad » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:04 am

stl scooter wrote:Absolutely agree Ace Dad!

In other news: Ace Dad will be opening a Lithuanian restaurant on Burkhardt in the near future!

No, but have we tried to recruit Miss Lithuania to UE ;)
Attachments
Miss.png
Miss.png (68.06 KiB) Viewed 1077 times

Purp
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1974

Postby Purp » Mon Feb 03, 2014 11:39 am

She looks like a good cure for homesickness.

Return to “The Aces”