Illinois - Nov 8th Scouting report

Discussions of all the Aces sports
IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Re: Illinois - Nov 8th Scouting report

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:21 pm

GeneralZod1991 wrote:This was brutal tonight, and it might be equally brutal at Xavier on Saturday. But Walter is starting from zero here. As I've posted before, I really don't care about the record this season -- I care about building a foundation for future success that Simmons never even tried to build in the first place. And that includes tough games on the non-conference schedule and taking our beatings before Valley play begins. It means fan enthusiasm. It means having more reach on the radio and doing a better job of promoting the program regionally. And it means establishing a more up-tempo style of play, which is going to be a better fit for the kids we have coming next year.

Let's keep our eye on the prize. This program needs our support in both good times and bad. Walter is the right guy for this job at the right time, and that will eventually yield some happier nights in the future.

+10

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:25 pm

Aces101 wrote:Walter knows the kind of players he needs, but everyone can see the previous staff didn’t recruit/get those kinds of guys. This staff needs to land a couple great recruits this recruiting cycle and maybe even another D1 transfer to build this program.

Very well said.

Ace78
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Ace78 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:41 pm

Interesting thought by Coach McCarty in the post game interview ... "sometimes tough road trips lead to beautiful destinations." Even though it was a brutal loss, the Aces DID learn about themselves and the level they need to reach.

Coach McCarty's philosophy of playing tough teams and finding out where you are at is the right approach. I'd rather take this thumping and have the team learn to fix those problems than to win, overlook the problems, think you're ok, and have them come back to bite your rear when conference play begins (which is what happened in the past).

I may be wrong, but I think the team will have a better showing on Saturday. The 2nd half tonight was a good start. They may not win Saturday, but I think they will be improved and more aware of what needs to happen.

Purple&Orange
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1988

Postby Purple&Orange » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:49 pm

As one of my UK friends texted after the game was over: Hey, even good teams lose by 30+..............

In all seriousness we are undermanned in a couple different ways. Even with the guys who returned there is not a ton of game experience. The first half spiraled out of control pretty quickly and it's an adjustment to play this style and at the college level, as well as against a Big Ten squad.

Like others have said it's a building process and as the players get more comfortable in the system, the level of play, as well as the roles they will play things will get a little easier, as will the schedule. As much as results matter the thing this group can do is continue to play, continue to develop, and build the foundation that the rest of the McCarty era will stand upon.

The best thing the fanbase can do is come out to Ford Center, support the program and not lose the enthusiasm that has seen 1,000+ new season tickets sold this offseason. Results do absolutely matter but this thing is not going to be fixed, turned around overnight. At some point in MVC play it may be this ugly as well.......but when the Aces are a threat to go to the NCAA Tournament like they were during the late 80, early 90s when I was a child and thought that was the norm, it'll make all the struggles to get to that point that much sweeter.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:19 pm

I’m not going to say much...just like others said this is going to take time. There are three guys sitting who will make such a huge impact it will be a completely different team.

Now, we do have to shoot better and Riley has got to quit stationary dribbling the ball and driving into three people...that’s Martyball and it ain’t gonna fly in this system. It bogs down the offense too much.

Other than that, time to move on and see what happens in the next one. Like McCarty said after the game (paraphrasing), it’s a tough journey but it leads to a beautiful destination. Hang in there. Like some of us said, this really is ground zero he’s starting from.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 10:55 pm

Tom Servo wrote:I’m not going to say much...just like others said this is going to take time. There are three guys sitting who will make such a huge impact it will be a completely different team.

Now, we do have to shoot better and Riley has got to quit stationary dribbling the ball and driving into three people...that’s Martyball and it ain’t gonna fly in this system. It bogs down the offense too much.

Other than that, time to move on and see what happens in the next one. Like McCarty said after the game (paraphrasing), it’s a tough journey but it leads to a beautiful destination. Hang in there. Like some of us said, this really is ground zero he’s starting from.

We only had 8 bodies for the game tonight. Nailed on the head that is ground zero.

Also, I missed it. How exactly did Riley pick up a tech? Noticed that one I did.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:02 pm

Ad1770 wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:I’m not going to say much...just like others said this is going to take time. There are three guys sitting who will make such a huge impact it will be a completely different team.

We only had 8 bodies for the game tonight. Nailed on the head that is ground zero.

Also, I missed it. How exactly did Riley pick up a tech? Noticed that one I did.

I didn’t see that part...was driving to the watch party but from what Jevin and Shreffler said it was some kind of elbow extension they called after looking at a replay. They initially called the foul on Illinois.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

UE0958
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1976

Postby UE0958 » Thu Nov 08, 2018 11:08 pm

The foul on UI DaMonte Williams stood and Riley got the T after the review for elbow contact to the head (per Illini announcers as I was driving and heard that on XM Radio)

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:02 am

One game doesn't make of break a while season
Also,4 of the starters were Marty's left overs.

Ace78
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Ace78 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:07 am

Video highlights of Illinois vs. UE - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ScIz2WoGCf8

Return to “The Aces”