Butch Wade, Indiana State

Discussions of all the Aces sports
AcesChamps6571
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Butch Wade, Indiana State

Postby AcesChamps6571 » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:38 pm

Since there's no off topic forum to post this, I thought I would post this here, and apologies if it shouldn't be here.
For those of you who were Aces fans back in the '60's, like I was as a young boy, you may remember Butch Wade playing for the Sycamores of Indiana State.
He passed away this past Sunday, at 73 years of age. He was one of the best players to ever play for ISU.
He and his high school and college teammates, Jerry Newsome and Steve Hollenbeck, teamed to give some great Aces teams some exciting battles, both here and in Terre Haute, with packed houses both places.
Jerry Sloan said that Wade, then a sophomore, was the best player he had guarded in the perfect seaon in 1965.
When he graduated in 1967, Wade was the Sycamores' all time leading scorer. His friend, Newsome broke the record the next year, and later, a guy named Bird passed both of them.
He was an All American at ISU, and in his senior season in high school at Columbus, they lost only one game, in the semistate to Muncie Central, the eventual state champion.
He was one of those guys who you kind of "loved to hate" while he was playing your team, but would have loved having him on our side.
The Aces and Sycamores were college division, but there was some major college talent, and Hall of Fame coaches, on both sides.

Return to “The Aces”