'Fun times' arrive for Aces' players

Discussions of all the Aces sports
RiverCityAce
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1972

'Fun times' arrive for Aces' players

Postby RiverCityAce » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:31 pm

This is a 1986 article on Jim Crews and the Aces. FUN TIMES are now back!
http://images.evpl.org/local/dynastyima ... 21-274.gif

GA Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1986

Re: 'Fun times' arrive for Aces' players

Postby GA Ace » Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:24 pm

Great article, thanks for sharing River City Ace. Not sure why I overlooked this before but glad I went down the site and found it. 1986-87 is about the time I really started to follow the Aces but don't remember the Halloween scrimmages or playing at local high school gyms such as Lawrenceville, IL, Jasper, Booneville, and Henderson County. Talk about the original Aces caravan. The only time I recall the Aces having a scrimmage at a high school was in the early 90's at Memorial HS around the time Roberts Stadium was undergoing renovations. The article mentions the Aces new uniforms, are these the sleeved jerseys in River City Ace's profile picture? I recall the game programs around the late 80's and early 90's mentioned that Coach Crews' teams would always wear sleeves as long as he was the coach at UE in honor of Coach McCutchan. I always assumed the Aces wore sleeves again beginning with Crews' first season at UE. These are the jerseys of my youth and will always be my favorites.

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:03 pm

The Aces did go to a high school prior to the 90s....they scrimmaged at Eldorado (IL) High School in the Fall of 1977 prior to the crash. I believe they also visited Tell City. Not sure NCAA would allow such a thing now...but that would be a great idea for the program, the school and Aces fans.
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:20 am

Thanks for sharing that, very cool. Wish we could back to doing things like that.

And yes, I am pretty sure that was the first season of the sleeves. There are a lot of games on youtube from that season and they wore them that year. Pretty sure in Crews' first season they wore the traditional tank tops, but I have not seen any footage of pictures from that season.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 8:44 pm

Tom Servo wrote:Thanks for sharing that, very cool. Wish we could back to doing things like that.

And yes, I am pretty sure that was the first season of the sleeves. There are a lot of games on youtube from that season and they wore them that year. Pretty sure in Crews' first season they wore the traditional tank tops, but I have not seen any footage of pictures from that season.

Tom...not sure they wore sleeves that year. I know that they wore a wider tank....but don't think they wore actual sleeves. Anyway...just wanted the board to know that the team did travel to HS back in the day.
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

Return to “The Aces”