Game Times

Discussions of all the Aces sports
riverboat_gambler
Ford Center Regular

Re: Game Times

Postby riverboat_gambler » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:05 pm

First time I’ve disagreed with Spencer in awhile. Will definitely shoot him an email.

Smart phones make people stay up later. But they’re not getting people to games any earlier.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:36 pm

I can see trying to make a "minor" change if they think it is for the better by moving it up to say 6:30 or 6:35. I believe the Otters games start at 6:35pm except on Sunday's. The reason I bring up the Otters is because they are similar to UE in that neither have drawn well during weekdays other than possibly an event on a Thursday from time to time at Bosse Field. Moving this to 6pm will help some folks, but not help others. I am ok for trying something new but moving it up a full hour could and will be a problem for most people who work an 8-5 or 9-6 job or who work until 5pm but have a long commute to get to The Ford. I like that we are trying to draw younger people to the games...all in favor of that..but lets remember kids who may be targeted by this move do not drive, the parents do so they need time to not just get the kids ready and make the drive, but get them dinner beforehand. They won't be going to The Ford for dinner unless they have unlimited funds because feeding a family of four is well over $50.00.

Too late to try 6:30 or 6:35? Not sure if game times have been printed on the tickets for this year or not. Last year I do not remember seeing game times on my season tickets.

stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Sun Oct 14, 2018 6:37 pm

The 6:00 time is locked in for this season. I wrote to Scott Peace who is the assistant AD for fan engagement.
and expressed my opinion. He thanked me for my input so they are listening.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:11 pm

AD Mark Spencer was kind of enough to get back with me and state his rational for moving the game time to 6pm. I appreciate his sensitivity to what he is trying to achieve...I do get it. But my firmest belief is that the sharp decline in attendance has much more to do with the product on the floor, than trying to get the kids to bed on time, or our oldest fan base trying to get home at an earlier time. Taking aim at the majority fan base should be the goal in my opinion. That affects a whole lot of more us than the other concerns. I am truly hoping I am wrong, but I still feel the same way - this is a very bad move.

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:40 pm

letsgoAces wrote: my firmest belief is that the sharp decline in attendance has much more to do with the product on the floor, than trying to get the kids to bed on time, or our oldest fan base trying to get home at an earlier time. Taking aim at the majority fan base should be the goal in my opinion.

Would you agree that retirees are the majority of the fan base? If not retirees, than at least those over 50?
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Tue Oct 16, 2018 3:59 pm

pafan wrote:
letsgoAces wrote: my firmest belief is that the sharp decline in attendance has much more to do with the product on the floor, than trying to get the kids to bed on time, or our oldest fan base trying to get home at an earlier time. Taking aim at the majority fan base should be the goal in my opinion.

Would you agree that retirees are the majority of the fan base? If not retirees, than at least those over 50?

Fifty could well be the median age, but I doubt that the majority are retired. That meme is popular with Aces haters who like to mock "blue haired" fans. I know for certain that you aren't an Aces hater but please don't feed the haters. My guess is that small enrollment schools in general have older fan bases while schools with small city-sized enrollments have younger fan bases. If you mean to include all Aces fans including the ones who never buy a ticket but still live in the Arad McCutchan past I agree wholeheartedly. The same could be said of IU. Half of Assembly Hall is filled with students 18-24 so the fan base is annually quite young (and younger than UE) but in the larger universe of IU TV watchers who still reminisce over the Bobby Knight glory years and now subscribe to BTN to get their IU fix the fan base is 50 plus and probably 60 plus.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:04 pm

letsgoAces wrote:AD Mark Spencer was kind of enough to get back with me and state his rational for moving the game time to 6pm. I appreciate his sensitivity to what he is trying to achieve...I do get it. But my firmest belief is that the sharp decline in attendance has much more to do with the product on the floor, than trying to get the kids to bed on time, or our oldest fan base trying to get home at an earlier time. Taking aim at the majority fan base should be the goal in my opinion. That affects a whole lot of more us than the other concerns. I am truly hoping I am wrong, but I still feel the same way - this is a very bad move.

Received a similar reply, it's something that is going to be impossible to measure if it was successful or not successful. If attendance is up across the board, that could be attributed completely to the new coach factor. Too many variables have changed in order for someone to say one variable was the cause.

I hope it helps, but as someone who does work I can see the issues with it. Given the information that was shared...this is what I would have done. I would have picked a couple of weeknight games and had them at 6:00 - just to see how it works. I would also have a couple Saturday night games, which may have been lost in the shuffle here, but we don't have any of those again either. That would give a large variety of options for people to attend and it would make it easier to compare which is more successful. Now, granted, some other variables could still come into play (weather, opponent, etc) but to me it would have been a little better than changing everything so it's all or nothing. Just my 2 cents. I hope the move pays off - I'd be more than happy to adjust if it helps the greater good here and I'm sure most here would say the same.
Failure is not fatal, but failure to change might be.
- John Wooden

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:35 pm

pafan wrote:

Oh my goodness, yes the Aces have an older fan base, though I am not certain most are retired. Perhaps I am not being clear enough, but the substance of what I am trying to convey is the vast overall market of fans and potential fans are more likely to be free to attend a 7pm game than a 6pm game. It also goes without saying the overall decline of attendance has been an inferior product....not the starting time.

Jim Shackelford
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1962

Postby Jim Shackelford » Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:06 pm

FYI - started attending games with my parents in 1963. During the heydays when the stadium had more than the fire marshal would allow, the games started at 8:00pm.

Return to “The Aces”