Game Times

Discussions of all the Aces sports
acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Re: Game Times

Postby acecard » Thu Oct 25, 2018 11:34 am

Tom Servo wrote:
muni cup14 wrote:Just another reason on why our attendance has been down.Why would
someone pay 15$ for a ticket when for 5$ a month they can watch the
game on line.Home games should be blacked out within 50 miles.

To me that is a garbage excuse, games were on Channel 14 for years when 10,000 people were there and you could watch that for free. In addition, the games that have been on FSN Midwest have usually been some of the strongest draws over the years. The data just doesn't back this up.

The people who say they'll just watch it at home are not ever going to go anyway, so it really means nothing.

The whole idea of them being on TV is for people to get some exposure to them so eventually they'll come to a live game - well worth it in my opinion. Much better than burying their head in the sand and waiting for the people to show up like UE used to do.

To me, having the games at 1:00 PM on Sat and 6:00 PM on weeknights is a whole lot bigger issue than having them on ESPN + which a big percentage of people probably have no clue how to use.

Seeing an exciting product, a winning team, and having fun, has more to do with attendance than ESPN3 does. I am very thankful that UE is able to stream games, on whatever media, as there are those who cannot physically attend the games, and would not be able to see them otherwise.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Thu Oct 25, 2018 12:01 pm

muni cup14 wrote:Just another reason on why our attendance has been down.Why would

Couch potatoes will never leave the couch. We all know one. I have a couch potato friend (who is not disabled) who for decades has sent his wife to Target to buy his clothes. I do not want to gear UE basketball to entice immovable humans. I am thrilled that UE games are now televised and archived so that I can attend the games and then rewatch them to see what I missed. Attending a live sporting event is far, far superior to watching one on TV. Blacking out telecasts is a terrible idea. Exposure increases fan support and ticket sales. Being invisible has never been a good marketing strategy.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:28 am

Tom Servo wrote:

To me that is a garbage excuse, games were on Channel 14 for years when 10,000 people were there and you could watch that for free. In addition, the games that have been on FSN Midwest have usually been some of the strongest draws over the years. The data just doesn't back this up.

The people who say they'll just watch it at home are not ever going to go anyway, so it really means nothing.

The whole idea of them being on TV is for people to get some exposure to them so eventually they'll come to a live game - well worth it in my opinion. Much better than burying their head in the sand and waiting for the people to show up like UE used to do.

To me, having the games at 1:00 PM on Sat and 6:00 PM on weeknights is a whole lot bigger issue than having them on ESPN + which a big percentage of people probably have no clue how to use.

Totally agree Tom. The only people that are going to go to the trouble to stream a game are the die-hard fans. Most of those would much rather be in attendance than sit at home and stream. The casual fans, the 6K we have lost in the last 15 years, are not streaming games. Those are the people we need to entice to a game, and an option to stream games has no bearing on that.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:02 pm

E-Villan wrote:
Tom Servo wrote:

Totally agree Tom. The only people that are going to go to the trouble to stream a game are the die-hard fans. Most of those would much rather be in attendance than sit at home and stream. The casual fans, the 6K we have lost in the last 15 years, are not streaming games. Those are the people we need to entice to a game, and an option to stream games has no bearing on that.

You may be showing your age. Younger people are comfortable streaming movies, games and everything in between. The TV rabbit ears crowd are the ones who get frustrated by that confounding technology. That's why they still pay for landlines.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Fri Oct 26, 2018 1:20 pm

It's not about age. I am quickly becoming an old fart, but I do stream regularly. With that said, casual fans do not have enough interest to make an effort to find the game, pay the $5 and stream it. Those who don't have enough interest in attending games, are not going to drop $5 and go through the trouble. ESPN+ is not affecting attendance, good or bad.

stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 4:36 pm

The age comment is BS. I'm a boomer and haven't had a landline for 7 years. I implemented an iPad based manufacturing execution system at 3 plants for my employer. I'd rather play basketball than watch but father time has eliminated that. Since I have to watch, I choose to do it in person. I'll stream the road games that aren't practical to attend.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:20 pm

Young, old
Couch Potato, Marathon Runner
ESPN, No ESPN
Streaming, No Streaming
Black Outs, No Black Outs
Tech Savvy, Old School and tech stupid..

.....We start playing exciting, winning basketball vs good competition with a great coaching staff trumps all the above and make it a mute point.

Go Aces !

Nasir
New User
New User
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Nasir » Wed Nov 07, 2018 8:59 am

I used to begin work at 9 P.M. and only saw the first half of every weekday game. Life is a struggle but I'd rather see half of an uptempo game than all of a Marty traffic jam game. For every fan that can't get there by 6 there may be another who couldn't stay until 9. We will just have to adjust.

Return to “The Aces”