DeAndre Williams

Discussions of all the Aces sports
pmh24
Evansville Courier & Press
Evansville Courier & Press
Fan Since: 2011

Re: DeAndre Williams

Postby pmh24 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:08 pm

Sorry guys. I didn't feel comfortable commenting publicly until it was confirmed and a statement was made. But know that an inquiry was put in Monday morning and it took some time on both ends to get an answer and provide some background.

It's not good news but could be a lot worse. He's still enrolled and able to practice this season. We still don't know how many years of eligibility he'll have. I believe that is still to be determined by the NCAA. But the issues at hand as I see them: the home-school program he enrolled at his senior year of high school in 2015-16 and the games he played against junior-college teams last year at Nation Wide Academy. Part of his background is just unclear. Maybe it'd help if we knew where he was in 2016-17.

Any questions, let me know via email (pat.hickey@courierpress.com) or DM on Twitter.

edit-add: And yes, my fault for assuming a freshman would have four years of eligibility. He may still get four, but I'm doubtful.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:11 pm

The first two recruits of Coach McCarty (Rosel Hurley being the other) bottom out. Very disappointing. This upcoming season will be a trying one indeed. Lets just hope Deandre gets his grades in order and get ready to take off for the 2019 - 20 season.

Pat, I agree with the ambiguity of his background...I could not figure that out either. But yes, he is still enrolled and for that matter, this season was nothing other than to get the wheels going.

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:17 pm

All I can say is we better hope one of are only 3 guys above 6'6" don't get hurt, it could be super ugly this year.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:25 pm

This is bad, but it isn't the end of the world. I had a bad feeling that rumor was true...

At least he's still enrolled and will likely just need to sit out the year. This year will be ugly...but remember Crews' first year, 8-19. 2nd year - MCC champs, 3rd year NIT, 4th year NCAA.

On the bright side, the 10 guys who can play will be able to show what they can do and it will give them time to develop.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

rpyke
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 2003

Postby rpyke » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:30 pm

Well, darn.. bummer for sure. Dims some hope for this season. It'd be great though if this was essentially a redshirt year and he's able to go next year as a freshman with Sam and Art eligible.

If we're going after Elijah I just hope he has his stuff sorted out.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:37 pm

The other thing I will add, this makes it much more clear as to how he ended up here. A lot of other schools probably passed because they didn't want someone who couldn't play right away. McCarty rolled the dice and appealed to let him play right away and it failed. If Williams is that good, it's a pretty smart move, because worst case he sits and loses a year and still has three years left to play. I can certainly live with it, hopefully people will just have some patience this year, as it will be very bad. Given the last 20 years...surely people can have patience for one more bad year.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces101 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:53 pm

I just hope he gets 3 years of eligibility

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:26 pm

It does appear that this was known for a while before the announcement. We had to hear about it through a Bradley fan on an MVC garbage site. The cynic in me suspects that UE didn't want to step on season ticket sales. They were happy to keep us excited and ignorant of the facts ($$$). I wonder when we would have learned about it if this fan board hadn't begun lighting up over it. I also wonder if Deandre isn't McCarty's Silas Adheke, who Marty described as similar to Karl Malone a year before "Karl Malone" rode off into the sunset without ever playing a game. The old truism rears its ugly head again, believe it when you see it, everything else including future rosters is little more than chatter. I do know that when you lose trust it is hard to get it back. Strike one on McCarty.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Wed Oct 10, 2018 3:39 pm

Somebody once said that life wasn't fair. Maybe, maybe not, but I am as disappointed as a person can get. I thought we might be pretty competitive with DeAndre in the line up, but now, I'm not too sure. I don't have that many years left to see the Aces get to the level that we would all like to see, so the rest of the guys will have to have super human years to save this season from being a real bummer. I'm sure they will be a Thursday team, but it sure would be nice to not finish last in the league. I still think the new style of play that Walter will be using, will make the team a pleasure to watch. As my Dad used to say, you have to take the bad with the good, and you can't win them all.

I will agree with Whiskers that they surely knew about all this way before now, and didn't have the guts to say anything about it.

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:05 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:It does appear that this was known for a while before the announcement. We had to hear about it through a Bradley fan on an MVC garbage site. The cynic in me suspects that UE didn't want to step on season ticket sales. They were happy to keep us excited and ignorant of the facts ($$$). I wonder when we would have learned about it if this fan board hadn't begun lighting up over it. I also wonder if Deandre isn't McCarty's Silas Adheke, who Marty described as similar to Karl Malone a year before "Karl Malone" rode off into the sunset without ever playing a game. The old truism rears its ugly head again, believe it when you see it, everything else including future rosters is little more than chatter. I do know that when you lose trust it is hard to get it back. Strike one on McCarty.

I so agree....but I would have to say that is Strike Two and maybe even 2.5 (if you consider how they have locked fans out of practices unless you have deep pockets and of course, the change in game times). I have another question for PAF.....it was just a few years ago, when during recruiting season, some of us were grumbling about how UE academic standards made it tough for us to attract players. Ummm.....how in the heck did this happen then? As much excitement as everyone is supposed to have had for the new changes in the program.....there has always been this little voice saying to me "be careful as all may not be as it seems." I feel like season-ticket holders, like myself, have been taken on somewhat of a ride this Summer and it is not going to end up in the destination we desired. As usual...just my take...but I would still like to hear everyone's thoughts on how this got by our "strict" standards.
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

Return to “The Aces”