DeAndre Williams

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Re: DeAndre Williams

Postby Tom Servo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:24 pm

CoachD88 wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:It does appear that this was known for a while before the announcement. We had to hear about it through a Bradley fan on an MVC garbage site. The cynic in me suspects that UE didn't want to step on season ticket sales. They were happy to keep us excited and ignorant of the facts ($$$). I wonder when we would have learned about it if this fan board hadn't begun lighting up over it. I also wonder if Deandre isn't McCarty's Silas Adheke, who Marty described as similar to Karl Malone a year before "Karl Malone" rode off into the sunset without ever playing a game. The old truism rears its ugly head again, believe it when you see it, everything else including future rosters is little more than chatter. I do know that when you lose trust it is hard to get it back. Strike one on McCarty.

I so agree....but I would have to say that is Strike Two and maybe even 2.5 (if you consider how they have locked fans out of practices unless you have deep pockets and of course, the change in game times). I have another question for PAF.....it was just a few years ago, when during recruiting season, some of us were grumbling about how UE academic standards made it tough for us to attract players. Ummm.....how in the heck did this happen then? As much excitement as everyone is supposed to have had for the new changes in the program.....there has always been this little voice saying to me "be careful as all may not be as it seems." I feel like season-ticket holders, like myself, have been taken on somewhat of a ride this Summer and it is not going to end up in the destination we desired. As usual...just my take...but I would still like to hear everyone's thoughts on how this got by our "strict" standards.

I definitely understand where you guys are coming from...this looks bad.

I think all along they knew Williams would most likely not play, like I posted before. They hid that so they could sell more tickets, which given the attendance numbers we have seen recently, I at least understand why they did it.

I don't have a problem with the closed practices at all.

The game time thing is still the dumbest move. I don't know what they were thinking there or who they talked to.

As far as the standards go...UE standards are not that high. That was mainly a myth people liked to throw out there as an excuse for why we didn't get players. I think UE knew what was going on with this Williams situation, they just hid it for season ticket sales reasons.

All I can say is, stay the course. Any coaching change is rough, and the first year will definitely be a tough one. Just remember the three guys sitting out will be ready to go the following year. McCarty is basically taking over a train wreck here that was quickly heading toward oblivion had a change not taken place. He's already done a ton to put the train back on the tracks.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 4:57 pm

Tom Servo wrote:
CoachD88 wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:It does appear that this was known for a while before the announcement. We had to hear about it through a Bradley fan on an MVC garbage site. The cynic in me suspects that UE didn't want to step on season ticket sales. They were happy to keep us excited and ignorant of the facts ($$$). I wonder when we would have learned about it if this fan board hadn't begun lighting up over it. I also wonder if Deandre isn't McCarty's Silas Adheke, who Marty described as similar to Karl Malone a year before "Karl Malone" rode off into the sunset without ever playing a game. The old truism rears its ugly head again, believe it when you see it, everything else including future rosters is little more than chatter. I do know that when you lose trust it is hard to get it back. Strike one on McCarty.

I so agree....but I would have to say that is Strike Two and maybe even 2.5 (if you consider how they have locked fans out of practices unless you have deep pockets and of course, the change in game times). I have another question for PAF.....it was just a few years ago, when during recruiting season, some of us were grumbling about how UE academic standards made it tough for us to attract players. Ummm.....how in the heck did this happen then? As much excitement as everyone is supposed to have had for the new changes in the program.....there has always been this little voice saying to me "be careful as all may not be as it seems." I feel like season-ticket holders, like myself, have been taken on somewhat of a ride this Summer and it is not going to end up in the destination we desired. As usual...just my take...but I would still like to hear everyone's thoughts on how this got by our "strict" standards.

I definitely understand where you guys are coming from...this looks bad.

I think all along they knew Williams would most likely not play, like I posted before. They hid that so they could sell more tickets, which given the attendance numbers we have seen recently, I at least understand why they did it.

I don't have a problem with the closed practices at all.

The game time thing is still the dumbest move. I don't know what they were thinking there or who they talked to.

As far as the standards go...UE standards are not that high. That was mainly a myth people liked to throw out there as an excuse for why we didn't get players. I think UE knew what was going on with this Williams situation, they just hid it for season ticket sales reasons.

All I can say is, stay the course. Any coaching change is rough, and the first year will definitely be a tough one. Just remember the three guys sitting out will be ready to go the following year. McCarty is basically taking over a train wreck here that was quickly heading toward oblivion had a change not taken place. He's already done a ton to put the train back on the tracks.

Tom...I hope you are right. Just don't think this is the best way to gain or keep fans....for any program.
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

UE0958
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1976

Postby UE0958 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:19 pm

Well said by Tom.

Having WIlliams or not having Williams this season wouldn't have made a huge difference in our record and it does allow the other 10 players more PT to show their talents. I think likely the two biggest benefactors will be Kuhlman and Becker.

Thus in the '19-'20 season UE will likely add 3 redshirt starters and have a deep bench which will be battle tested and likely ready to contribute and turn this seasons L's into W's next year.

I am still 100% on board!

PS - Since I live in TX I don't get to attend games but I will say the 6 PM start time is totally baffling to me - just makes no sense but in no way to me would that be on the Coaching Staff rather the Athletic Department.

fg4ster
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1986

Postby fg4ster » Wed Oct 10, 2018 5:33 pm

Imagine we found out today - for the first time - that DeAndre signed with us and has 3 years of eligibility starting next year. We would be ecstatic. I have no problem grinding this season out and waiting to roll out DeAndre, Cunliffe, and Art all at the same time.

youngacesfan
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1999

Postby youngacesfan » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:53 pm

fg4ster wrote:Imagine we found out today - for the first time - that DeAndre signed with us and has 3 years of eligibility starting next year. We would be ecstatic. I have no problem grinding this season out and waiting to roll out DeAndre, Cunliffe, and Art all at the same time.

Agree 100%. This year we were looking at 9/10th place regardless. I don't understand why some on here see this as "strike one" or better yet "strike two" against McCarty

Purple&Orange
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1988

Postby Purple&Orange » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:24 pm

My guess is due to the ongoing appeal, which apparently resulted in the waiver to allow him the scholarship this season along with the ability to practice is the reason nothing was officially released until now.

The excitement around the program should not dimmer because of today’s announcement. There will still be growing pains with so many new faces along with a brand new style that appears to be a complete 180 for those who return. Be patient....nobody knows if these changes will lead to the promised land not seen since 1999, but any expectation that the Aces should be a threat this season with all of the losses from last year and the new faces is provable a bit unrealistic.

The experience the guys get this year will prove valuable, along with a blueprint for the guys having to sit out this season. There will be some bumps in the road, perhaps even more than anyone excepts but the first strikes of the McCarty regime being handed out before the first game is probably a little unfair.

Again, patience is required and year 2 will tell us a lot more than this year will about the trajectory of the program and where the Aces can be leading into the future. This year most certainly matters but it’s one step along the road of a rebuild.

mybigpurplebrain
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1982

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:43 pm

CoachD88 wrote:

I chose not to believe rumors. I was wrong.

Dang that some mighty weak support there if your giving him 2.5 strikes. Don’t even have a response to that. Well I do but I’ll refrain.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:38 pm

This should tell everyone that these Academy,and prep schools don't
get all the kids ready for college. Lyle from Bosse went to a prep school,
and he wasn't eligible the 1st year.We got 2 kids,and both are ineligible.

ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:33 pm

Yes, we need to support the team. Williams could have been injured 4 games into the season. "Things happen" in D1 hoops, so the IDEA that a potential star might not be able to help right away is always there. However, this situation is different. If Walt rolled the dice, as Tom said, it was a BIG bet. He trumpeted Williams' talent publicly, and it was stated, or at least strongly implied that DeAndre would play THIS year. He was "on board" and was a big part of this year's hope that we were on the right track. Everything may have been legit. Maybe Walt knew he'd have to appeal to get DeAndre cleared to play this year, but why promote him if there was just a 50-50 chance he'd play? Say he may have to sit a year, but we're hopeful that an appeal will be granted. Yes, we support the team, but the way all this was handled doesn't pass the smell test, IMHO.

Now, it needs to be handled honestly, for DeAndre's sake. If the admin. Isn't really careful, Williams is a potential to simply drift to yet another school, and he'd be eligible to play there next year, just as he can at UE. So, yes, let's support our team, but this is a mess.

riverboat_gambler
Ford Center Regular

Postby riverboat_gambler » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:41 pm

This was a transition year regardless. Rather it happen now than when stakes are higher. No strikes at all. Risks are part of the package when you up your recruiting.

E-Villan wrote:One post from one poster from another school should not be grounds for concern...especially on mvcfans. I went over there to find this post, and got attacked with pop up and banner ads. That place was pretty much a cesspool before, but the pop up ads make it unbearable.

That is like having to pay a monthly subscription to read the National Enquirer.

If there was a way to rid of the ads and all posts by Jsnhbe1Birds(sp?) I would read it. Unfortunately the most uninformed poster seems determined to be the loudest in the room.

Return to “The Aces”