Will the Aces finish last?

Discussions of all the Aces sports
acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Will the Aces finish last?

Postby acecard » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:04 pm

Well, that is a question that is impossible to answer until we see them play. The folks on the MVC Fans board seem to think so. I know that some of the people that post regularly to this board read, and participate on that board as well. While there are a couple of Shocker type posters on that forum, most of them are reasonably intelligent, and fair in their comments.

So much depends on the newcomers this year that we have to see them play to be able to assess how good they are going to be. If DeAndre hadn't been declared ineligible, I would have said that I didn't think they would finish last based on their over all talent, and the new style that Walter will bring to the program. But now the following questions will have to be answered. Will Feehan be the spark that I think he can be? Will Givance, even though a freshman, be able to handle the point guard duties? Will Newton, and Becker show MVC talent, and perform to that level?

Now, to the question that may be just as important, how much have Hill, Kuhlmam, Dainius, Frederking, K.J., and Hall improved over the last time we saw them play, and how much will they adapt to Walters new style? All very interesting questions, and I hope we can get some idea of the answers in two days at Hoopfest. I will say it again, that the record this year might not be as we would want it, but I do believe we will enjoy what we see on the floor.

acecard
Head Cheerleader

Re: Will the Aces finish last?

Postby acecard » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:10 pm

Will also be interesting to see how much the Lady Aces have improved, and whether they might be able to escape the cellar also.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:51 pm

Hopefully we'll know more on Wednesday...for now I'll go on record and say best case - 7th. Worst case 10th. Just too many question marks and too much inexperience at the D1 level. It's a huge jump. If we can really be a high octane offensive team we will be able to win some games by just outscoring people. However, I just don't see that with this roster. Once the transfers can play next year, I can see it. It'll be all the better next year if some of the guys this year can take their game to another level.

Now, I definitely agree it will be fun to watch and I can't wait for the season to begin.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

Postby pafan » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:28 pm

I think 10th is a very real possibility for the men. Walter isn't done with the rebuild for sure. I don't think Dana Ford (MSU) or Darian DeVries (Drake) are finished either.

I strongly believe one of these three teams will finish last. Which one is really hard to say when most players - ours and MSU and DRake - are only descriptions on paper to me right now.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

acecard
Head Cheerleader

Postby acecard » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:56 pm

Tom Servo wrote:Hopefully we'll know more on Wednesday...for now I'll go on record and say best case - 7th. Worst case 10th. Just too many question marks and too much inexperience at the D1 level. It's a huge jump. If we can really be a high octane offensive team we will be able to win some games by just outscoring people. However, I just don't see that with this roster. Once the transfers can play next year, I can see it. It'll be all the better next year if some of the guys this year can take their game to another level.

Now, I definitely agree it will be fun to watch and I can't wait for the season to begin.

Tom, no doubt that defense, and rebounding, will define what kind of record the Aces will have this year. I also think (hope) we can out score some teams. No doubt there will be more three's, but the only three's that are good are the ones that go into the basket. As far as the rest is concerned, who knows?

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:13 pm

I will say I don't think we will finish last, until proven otherwise I think this coaching staff could be the best in the Valley, time will tell, but hey how many years has it been since we didn't know who the leading scorer was going to be before the year started....lol

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:26 pm

Tossing in my mostly meaningless two cents, injuries are a factor every year. Some would hurt more than others. Dainius must stay healthy, there isn't a similar option. Since the Aces are certain to launch a lot of 3s from 4 or 5 different players, they must shoot a high percentage. I believe they will and several of them would have last year if given the chance. I do predict that I will have my fingers crossed for three months.

fg4ster
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1986

Postby fg4ster » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:08 pm

Two more meaningless cents: I hope Feehan is talented enough to have a big role. He has parking lot range. He's put up big numbers against good D-I competition before. If Riley or Hill can play Shy Ely, I could see him being a Holsinger. I don't know if he could be a #1 option in the Valley. But if Riley and/or Hill are able to create their own shot, and if we can surround him with multiple shooters (Frederking, Kuhlman, etc.), I won't be surprised if Feehan is one of our leading scorers.

Acescott
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Acescott » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:36 pm

I too picture Feehan being similar to Holsinger, which is fine with me as he was one of my all time favorites. Hoopfest won't be enough to get a good feeling about the players, it never is. It just serves as a tease that basketball is here and then its an eternity until the first game. But I'm glad we have an exhibition again to serve as more of a judgement of talent. I remember there being a lot of posts on here during late spring and summer that there's no way we finish last. Perhaps reality is setting in a little. One thing about the Valley, finishing last doesn't necessarily mean you're a bad basketball team. Valpo was competitive last year and got the honor of tenth place. I rarely post on here but really enjoy reading all these comments from informed folks who care about Evansville basketball as I do.

ncace
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:55 pm

I believe there is only one given: these kids, in my opinion, will play hard EVERY night. DeAndre COULD have been the difference between 15-16 wins, or 8. I believe he has that kind of talent. BUT, HE IS OUT, so we all move on, and for the 6-7 games I will get to see this year, I'm going to enjoy the ride, yell louder for these dedicated kids than I usually do, and snicker a bit....., because we could still win 15 this year, and that would be a really BIG DEAL.

Return to “The Aces”