Will the Aces finish last?

Discussions of all the Aces sports
letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Re: Will the Aces finish last?

Postby letsgoAces » Wed Oct 17, 2018 10:30 am

Here are my predictions for the upcoming season:

1) Loyola - Moser has another strong recruiting year and returns the MVC's most valuable player in Custer. They have the league's best center in Cameron Krutwig and a solid player in Marques Townes. Moser is building a monster program since finally making headway into the Chicago Public league and now gets to sell them a final four appearance. Will be interesting to see what schools may go after Moser after this season.
2) SIU - I love what Coach Hinson has done with the Salukis, and this year he has the athletes to get to the top. If Thik Bol can stay on the court they may be dancing come March.
3) ISU - red. Loads of talent as always, and a front line second to none in the MVC. Phil Fayne poised for a monster year. If Milik Yarbrough had his head on straight they would be my top pick and, at this point, is much more a distraction than the leader coach Mueller had hoped be become. It will be interesting to me personally how Mat Chastain, who originally signed with Loyola, will do for the redbirds - if healthy he would give ISU a tremendous boost to an already very athletic team.
4) Bradley - When the Braves hired Brian Wardle I thought it would only be a matter of time until the Braves become relevant again. That day has come. They may surprise all of us season and leap frog all the way to the top this season. With 4 returning season and a good recruiting class they will push all the teams in the MVC this season.
5)_ ISU- blue While the MVC has mostly been a 'slow - down" league Greg Lasning has played most a more up-temp game than most of his colleagues. That will benefit his this season with perhaps the leagues best shooter in newcomer Cooper Neece. With Jordan Barnes playing by his side this team could rack up some points on many nights.
6) Northern Iowa - The panthers have fallen by the wayside in recent years and though they signed a monster recruit in A.J. Green and have some redshirt transfers now eligible I just don't see them going any higher than 6th.
7)Mo - State - Like Evansville, Dana Ford is building up for the 2019-20 season, I still believe they will have some decent success this season, but will be a Thursday night team.
8) Valpo - Hardest team for me to predict. They have has several good recruiting classes but have not played as well as I have expected. Will that change this year after a year of experience??? Fans may get restless with coah Lotich if some progress is not made.
9) Drake - Had the rug pulled under them when their coach, Niko Medwed left. Darian DeVries looks like a solid hire but he faces a tall order.
10) Evansville - Aces going through major rebuild with the dismissal of Marty Simmons. The new hiring of Coach McCarty I believe represents a "homerun" for the Aces and their fan base who have been more than patient over a decade. Lots of talent already on the roster - but not eligible until nest season. It will be interesting to see how Coach McCarty uses his final two scholarship - if he brings in another highly regarded recruit (Desean Elkins????) Evasnville will be soaring by next season.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:38 am

letsgoAces wrote:I had originally believed that with Deandre and Shea in the lineup at the same time could provide the Aces enough potential to steal some games they may not have won otherwise. Obviously, with Deandre no longer eligible this season my expectations have dropped considerably. Aces look very weak upfront. John Hall, DC, and Kuhlman will have to come up quite large for the Aces to escape the cellar. I do believe Evansville's guard play could end up being "fairly adequate" if Noah and Shea will have the type of years I think they may have, and Givance can handle the point as a freshman (very tall order),

I am completely on board with Coach McCarty and will be attending as many games as I can this season. I look forward to seeing an enjoyable brand of basketball and making the Aces relevant again. This year we are just laying out a blueprint. It will still be fun....but not too many wins. So, my answer to the question is yes...I do believe the Aces will finish last this season.

letsgo, I tend to lean toward your opinion more than anything else I have seen on this subject. But, all depending what I see tonight, let me say that I could change my opinion. Of course, all the questions around this team won't be answered tonight, but I think it will give us a good idea of how the players are adapting to Walters system, and whether Givence could handle the point guard spot. It will also show us whether, in fact, they can hit 3 point shots. The lack of D1 experience from the 4 new players will undoubtedly hurt this year, but hopefully the 6 holdovers have improved enough to make up for it. A lot of questions for sure, but at this point I believe we are closer to last, than we are to sixth. We shall see.

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:28 pm

I don't post as much as I would like because writing and english is not my strong suit, but here are some random thoughts 1. I don't believe the Aces will finish last. 2. I think some of our our skepticism is we are so use to always coming up short and being disappointed year after year for the last several years that we take the I will believe when I see it approach. 3. When I go back and look on tape at the new players we have and the talent level is at a higher level then it has been for several years and that's not even counting the big 3 we have for next year. 4. Up tempo pace will help/hide maybe some of our ball handling issues, if you think back last year I say almost 75% of our ball handling issues were from Marty Ball. 5. I think we are going to be happy with the coaching job McCarty does this year. 6. I feel the Valley is going to be a bloodbath this year i think with 2 weeks left in the season the conference championship will still be a race with 4 or 5 teams with a shot. 7. I think Aces finish 6th or 7th.

Purple&Orange
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1988

Postby Purple&Orange » Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:41 pm

I have the Aces slotted in 9th this season preseason. My take on Evansville is that in stretches we will look really really good, a team that can compete with anyone in the league but will also have some stretches with the youth, inexperience at this level that will be hard to overcome and win those games. If they stay true to the style that Coach McCarty wants to bring I think they will give some teams fits in league play, especially during the back half of the conference schedule.

1. LOYOLA: Coming off a Final Four with a lot of returners, I don't see the gap being closed from the rest of the league even with losing Richardson. The biggest factor is that typically you have to beat them, rarely do they beat themselves.
2. ILLINOIS STATE: Maybe the most talented team when looking at the collection of individuals, the Redbirds haven't gotten over the hump in the past and don't see them unseating Loyola this year.
3. BRADLEY: They were young, took a lot of lumps and now that experience should pay off.
4. SOUTHERN ILLINOIS: Injury questions concern me, plus the grind it out style can make for a smaller margin of error. Feel like they're right in the hunt for 2-4, just at the back of that group.
5. INDIANA STATE: Really like Neese who will be eligible at semester, teamed with Barnes in the backcourt will be a handful for a lot of teams.
6. NORTHERN IOWA: I struggle to think Jacobsen will have them playing Thursday but admittedly this is more about Jake than their roster.
7. VALPARAISO: Much like SIU above, I think they're in a tier with 5-7 and the others nudge them.
8. MISSOURI STATE: Underachieved last season, new coach with a couple returning starters. Feel like the returning roster is the most reliable of the final three.
9. EVANSVILLE: Some growing pains early, biggest concern is can the returning guys play freely in the system from the jump. Hoping the more open flow will lead to more aggression offensively, not just in shooting the 3 but trying to get to the rim or the paint and create for others if they do not finish themselves.
10. DRAKE: Final team with a new coach, surprised last season to finish top half but I think they closer to Bradley of a couple years ago than some would like to admit.

I'm excited to see what the league as a whole can accomplish this season. The biggest thing for UE this season to me isn't the order of finish but to keep the excitement for the program going through the entire season and into the 2019-20 campaign, making going to Aces games a big deal once more.

ncace
Road Tripper

Postby ncace » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:26 pm

Without DeAndre, I see us finishing 6-12 in conference, possibly 7-11 if we get on some type of run, but also possibly 5-13, wherever that puts us, which was 8-9-10 last year.

Our "sit one" team of Art, DeAndre, and Sam, plus any two other guys on the team, would finish at least 10-8/11-7. Fan support from the faithful long-timers, the student section, plus whatever additional attendance the athletic department can help promote will make a huge difference. As someone else said, we really need the home crowd on their feet and engaged.

I've commented before on the need to find ANY way possible to promote incremental attendance: $3-5 tickets for the exhibitions, a half-price "rush" ticket for any unsold seat 24 hrs. before game time, a "dead-of-winter" special, a high school booster special where 25% of the ticket revenue sold thru that school goes back to them (rotate Reitz, Central, Bosse, Harrison, etc.)

Minimize empty seats, fill the upper level, let the fans become the 6th man, begin the promo effort early, starting with Texas Southern. It doesn't have to be every game, but even Loyola and Illinois State might warrant some kind of special effort to fill the seats. Why not have 10000 fans for the big games?

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Wed Oct 17, 2018 6:21 pm

No I think not. However, we are woefully deficient in and around the post. It is imperative that we recruit a strong center to set up both the offense and defense for those already on the team. This year is already set and a lot of our success will be dependent on Dainius being successful and contributing a lot of minutes. Otherwise we will be faced with 4s trying to fill a 5. Right now I see next year is the goal and the future. We will get there.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 2:14 pm

http://mvc-sports.com/news/2018/10/12/a ... -poll.aspx

Aces picked last in MVC poll. I assume this is the coaches and media poll.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 3:49 pm

ncace wrote:Without DeAndre, I see us finishing 6-12 in conference, possibly 7-11 if we get on some type of run, but also possibly 5-13, wherever that puts us, which was 8-9-10 last year.

Our "sit one" team of Art, DeAndre, and Sam, plus any two other guys on the team, would finish at least 10-8/11-7. Fan support from the faithful long-timers, the student section, plus whatever additional attendance the athletic department can help promote will make a huge difference. As someone else said, we really need the home crowd on their feet and engaged.

I've commented before on the need to find ANY way possible to promote incremental attendance: $3-5 tickets for the exhibitions, a half-price "rush" ticket for any unsold seat 24 hrs. before game time, a "dead-of-winter" special, a high school booster special where 25% of the ticket revenue sold thru that school goes back to them (rotate Reitz, Central, Bosse, Harrison, etc.)

Minimize empty seats, fill the upper level, let the fans become the 6th man, begin the promo effort early, starting with Texas Southern. It doesn't have to be every game, but even Loyola and Illinois State might warrant some kind of special effort to fill the seats. Why not have 10000 fans for the big games?

Winning games will fill the empty seats,not all of them but some of them.Remember,there are still a lot of people who are still bitter about the Ford Center. Back on opening game against Butler,it still wasn't a sell out.

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:50 pm

One key in my mind this season is Becker. Without Williams we do not have much size or girth. Other than DC we have nobody who can hold their own in the paint. Becker has some size and is a good jumper for his size and looks pretty strong for a freshman. He is raw. I think he has a lot of developing to go but shows promise. Too bad many did not get to see him last night. Without him, we are really going to have a tough time scoring and defending in the paint. DC can do a lot for us and he did a good job last year but he needs help if we are to be competitive. I do think we will have more scoring threats on the floor this season and for sure more kids with the "green light" to shoot the ball when open. It's going to be fun and for sure was time for a change.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:39 pm

One thing I will say about the poll, remember last year Drake was picked near the bottom and finished in the top
5 and Missouri St picked first and ended up on Thursday. So it really doesn’t amount to anything more than bulletin board material.

I do agree that Becker is important for sure
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Return to “The Aces”