Will the Aces finish last?

Discussions of all the Aces sports
6th man
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Re: Will the Aces finish last?

Postby 6th man » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:38 pm

Aces aren't in PIG match. From what I see this is a wait til next year team, but i have a reason to say, not a Thursday night team. Talent of the players who returned and Coach McCarty, Lickliter, Graves and Commondor, who all are capable of having Dl teams every season. This team will excel past the InSU,UNI, VU,Du in the Season and end in 4-5 or 3/6 match in the MVC Tournament.

Was bored the first part of Hoopfest but For the first season it was what it was
Get on Board
UE Integrity
GO ACES

lawrencevgibson
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1964

Postby lawrencevgibson » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:21 am

The only thing I care about is seeing the team progress in the right direction. Given the circumstances taking a few lumps this year will be acceptable.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:29 am

6th man wrote:Aces aren't in PIG match. From what I see this is a wait til next year team, but i have a reason to say, not a Thursday night team. Talent of the players who returned and Coach McCarty, Lickliter, Graves and Commondor, who all are capable of having Dl teams every season. This team will excel past the InSU,UNI, VU,Du in the Season and end in 4-5 or 3/6 match in the MVC Tournament.

Was bored the first part of Hoopfest but For the first season it was what it was

Well, I certainly will agree with your last sentence.

PurpleRain
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 2010

Postby PurpleRain » Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:45 pm

I’ve no idea where we’ll finish. It would be nice to avoid Thursday’s play in game tho. I’ve made a lot of trips to STL that were such disappointments. <sigh>

We have 9 players and 2 walk ons. I do not expect Will Becker to play any time soon, if ever for the Aces. He has ongoing knee issues, not just a minor injury that will quickly heal.

Obviously the staff can’t talk about recruits until everything is signed and sealed but I heard on Thursday that we do indeed have a commitment from another great young man.

No where to go but up!!

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces101 » Fri Oct 19, 2018 10:04 pm

If Becker’s knees are in rough shape, doesn’t it make sense to go ahead and redshirt him to save the year of eligibility? Play this season with the 9 scholarship guys we have and use the walk ons when necessary. Build for the future and don’t risk Becker’s career.....if he really has chronic knee issues. Maybe a year of physical therapy, college strength training, or a cleanup procedure would be in his and the programs best interest.

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:42 pm

https://mobile.twitter.com/patmhickey/status/1054118584803360768

KenPom ranks UE at 210 (of 353) to begin the season. Projecting a 12-19, 6-12 record and tied with Drake for last in MVC.

https://kenpom.com/

Noteables in the top 100 on the Aces schedule:

#55 Xavier
#67 Loyola
#85 Illinois
#87 Illinois State
#88 Southern Illinois

Aces101
Head Cheerleader

Postby Aces101 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 1:57 pm

Sorry, but it is going to be a very rough year and I do believe we will finish in last place. If Becker is OUT (along with Williams, Labinowicz, and Cunliffe sitting out) we are down to a total of 9 scholarship players who can suit up. Limited numbers will severely hinder the ability to play pressure defense, continually push the ball in transition, or play 40 minutes of uptempo ball due to fatigue. I really worry about the shooting ability of the players who can suit up this year to run this system and definitely worry about the lack of bodies to play the 4/5 spots both offensively and defensively. Don't even think about any injuries popping up.....

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:05 pm

It will be, but honestly I think most everyone expects that. Unfortunately, that's the way things usually go when coaching changes are made.

Really, the key this year, guys just need to learn the new system and gain some confidence in their new roles. This is a very big year for the freshman and for Frederking, Kuhlman, and Hall. If they can make the next step it will really make us deep next year and it will help us win some games we aren't supposed to this year.

Just hope he can sign some of these guys he's offered and get some size out there for next year. Stay the course...the mess this program had become won't get cleaned up over night. I keep saying this...but don't forget about the Jim Crews era and how bad that first year was. Obviously, they quickly bounced back out of it and had arguably the best run in the history of the program from 87-95 and fully expect the same thing to happen now. We just have to be patient this year and get behind them.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:17 pm

Tom Servo wrote:It will be, but honestly I think most everyone expects that. Unfortunately, that's the way things usually go when coaching changes are made.

Really, the key this year, guys just need to learn the new system and gain some confidence in their new roles. This is a very big year for the freshman and for Frederking, Kuhlman, and Hall. If they can make the next step it will really make us deep next year and it will help us win some games we aren't supposed to this year.

Just hope he can sign some of these guys he's offered and get some size out there for next year. Stay the course...the mess this program had become won't get cleaned up over night. I keep saying this...but don't forget about the Jim Crews era and how bad that first year was. Obviously, they quickly bounced back out of it and had arguably the best run in the history of the program from 87-95 and fully expect the same thing to happen now. We just have to be patient this year and get behind them.

Tom, as usual, I think you are right on.

Aces101
Head Cheerleader

Postby Aces101 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 2:29 pm

With only 9 players suiting up, the freshmen (Givance and Newton) are going to have to log significant minutes at PG and SG. The Sophs (Kuhlman and Frederking) are going to have to produce from the wing and from beyond the arc in a big way. They are either all going to develop quickly this year or it's going to be tough to watch.

Shea Feehan will be a deep threat and a vocal leader at the PG spot.

Marty Hill (a relatively unknown commodity for us Aces fans) will have to show off both his range on his jump shot as well as the ability to create off the dribble.

KJ Riley will be a wild card. I assume he will play the SF spot and try to be a slasher type of player and hopefully show the ability to post up because we know he is not confident in his jump shot (maybe he is now since these coaches will not discourage him from shooting).

John Hall will show significant improvements within this system and could become a force at the PF spot.

Dainius Chatkevicius will give minutes at the 5, rebound, score a little but has a tendency to get into foul trouble.

Return to “The Aces”