Will the Aces finish last?

Discussions of all the Aces sports
acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Re: Will the Aces finish last?

Postby acecard » Thu Oct 25, 2018 3:55 pm

Aces101 wrote:With only 9 players suiting up, the freshmen (Givance and Newton) are going to have to log significant minutes at PG and SG. The Sophs (Kuhlman and Frederking) are going to have to produce from the wing and from beyond the arc in a big way. They are either all going to develop quickly this year or it's going to be tough to watch.

Shea Feehan will be a deep threat and a vocal leader at the PG spot.

Marty Hill (a relatively unknown commodity for us Aces fans) will have to show off both his range on his jump shot as well as the ability to create off the dribble.

KJ Riley will be a wild card. I assume he will play the SF spot and try to be a slasher type of player and hopefully show the ability to post up because we know he is not confident in his jump shot (maybe he is now since these coaches will not discourage him from shooting).

John Hall will show significant improvements within this system and could become a force at the PF spot.

Dainius Chatkevicius will give minutes at the 5, rebound, score a little but has a tendency to get into foul trouble.

A lot of this year will depend on the 3 point shooters. If we can hit 45%, or more, of our 3 pointers, as a team, we will be in a lot of games. If we hit 30% of them, then it will be ugly. I'm not looking for many 45% games. Hope I'm wrong.

211N-69
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 211N-69 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:31 pm

Not many new coaches at this level roll into town and do a Norman Dale job. Even if fans want to believe otherwise, this outfit is a very long way from sniffing post-season. It may take 2 or 3 seasons. I think the emphasis should be on program development and a working philosophy. Once that's been established, it will be easier to find players who will see themselves fitting into that. I think they can be better than they are expected to be, but I won't be putting any money on that.

youngacesfan
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1999

Postby youngacesfan » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:05 pm

211N-69 wrote:Not many new coaches at this level roll into town and do a Norman Dale job. Even if fans want to believe otherwise, this outfit is a very long way from sniffing post-season. It may take 2 or 3 seasons. I think the emphasis should be on program development and a working philosophy. Once that's been established, it will be easier to find players who will see themselves fitting into that. I think they can be better than they are expected to be, but I won't be putting any money on that.

Agreed on the 2-3 year timeline. Before he summer I would've said we would contend by year 3-4. Now I'd say we're contenders next year. So even if we finish last we're still ahead of schedule in the long run

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:45 pm

youngacesfan wrote:
211N-69 wrote:Not many new coaches at this level roll into town and do a Norman Dale job. Even if fans want to believe otherwise, this outfit is a very long way from sniffing post-season. It may take 2 or 3 seasons. I think the emphasis should be on program development and a working philosophy. Once that's been established, it will be easier to find players who will see themselves fitting into that. I think they can be better than they are expected to be, but I won't be putting any money on that.

Agreed on the 2-3 year timeline. Before he summer I would've said we would contend by year 3-4. Now I'd say we're contenders next year. So even if we finish last we're still ahead of schedule in the long run

Agreed, just need to keep hitting the recruiting trail hard. Those three guys sitting out will really make a big difference.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Thu Oct 25, 2018 10:10 pm

Tom Servo wrote:It will be, but honestly I think most everyone expects that. Unfortunately, that's the way things usually go when coaching changes are made.

Really, the key this year, guys just need to learn the new system and gain some confidence in their new roles. This is a very big year for the freshman and for Frederking, Kuhlman, and Hall. If they can make the next step it will really make us deep next year and it will help us win some games we aren't supposed to this year.

Just hope he can sign some of these guys he's offered and get some size out there for next year. Stay the course...the mess this program had become won't get cleaned up over night. I keep saying this...but don't forget about the Jim Crews era and how bad that first year was. Obviously, they quickly bounced back out of it and had arguably the best run in the history of the program from 87-95 and fully expect the same thing to happen now. We just have to be patient this year and get behind them.

Spot on Tom as usual...

I do remember well Jim Crews first year. Everyone was excited, we knew we would be bad and we were and no one lost faith because those that knew the game could see improvements being made throughout the season along with some solid players having to sit out. But the following year things really started to take shape and you could see things were on the upswing and everyone got on board.

I expect similar things with Walt and crew. We are playing a tougher schedule in pre-conference which will result in a poor record. This short term pain should give us the ability to better compete in MVC play, unlike in the past when we might have been 9-3 or 10-2 or whatever we were after feasting on cupcakes in November and December. No more false sense of security, we will know who we are by the MVC opener. I am just excited to think more fans will be at the games, a new style will be played and we have some solid players both on the bench waiting until next year. We will also have some young guys playing who will give us hope we will work our way to a post season tournament starting with an N by year 3 (outside shot in year 2) as they get a lot of minutes and continue to improve with this deep coaching staff.

Go Aces !

fg4ster
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1986

Postby fg4ster » Fri Oct 26, 2018 11:44 am

The more I think about it, the less I care about where we finish this year. I hate that Hill, Feehan, and DC won't get to play with next year's group. But other than that, this year's short bench is a blessing in disguise. It's a fantastic opportunity for K.J., Frederking, Kuhlman, Hall, Newton, and Givance. Imagine adding all this experience to the talent on next year's roster.

As long as you're on board, this year's team will be fun to watch no matter what the record is. If they get to where they can be competitive for stretches in the Valley on their own, then look out! We could have one of the deepest teams we've had in history sooner rather than later.

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces101 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:54 pm

No Eikens for next year - he just committed to North Dakota. Stinks

211N-69
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 211N-69 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 2:03 pm

2013 Loyola was 10th in the Valley with Moser, who also suffered in the Horizon at times with lack of recognition in an area where the Big 10 always gets the headlines. I won't predict the Aces in the Final 4 in three years but I think the Valley, as a mid-major, needs to yell a little louder to get good talent. Moser has utilized a lot of tools that McCarty needs to develop. Evansville needs to play on its traditions a little, though I can't recommend a strategy on that, since almost all of it is an era prior to the plane crash.

It would behoove the Aces to play competitive games against the top teams -- and in a year or so, actually be able to beat those teams. There are nationally strong mid-majors -- Gonzaga comes to mind -- and there is no reason U of E can't be the place in the Midwest where that happens. It's a larger dream than is realistic now and maybe a fantasy that will never happen. But, it could happen. Four or five Valley wins this year isn't a dealbreaker if the players coming in are in touch with a philosophy that can work.

Previous Aces teams (here and there over a decade) have frustrated me, though I don't harbor the animosity that some here have expressed with Simmons. I didn't think he did a good job of finding the right players for the game he wanted to play but there were factors there. When he got "his" team, he was generally competitive. I am going on too long here.

in any case, I am at least generally excited about how a former NBA coach runs a college program. I'd rather score 89 points than 49.

svmar10
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Postby svmar10 » Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:36 am

Just a quick glance at the "Valley".

SIU loses to Buffalo, 0-2
UNI loses to UT Arlington
Loyola loses to Furman at home
Indiana State beat easily by Ball State....( We play them twice)
Illinois State beat by Belmont

Admittedly this means nothing, but it's hard to envision there are nine better teams in the conference than that one that played X.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Tue Nov 13, 2018 11:41 am

svmar10 wrote:Just a quick glance at the "Valley".

SIU loses to Buffalo, 0-2
UNI loses to UT Arlington
Loyola loses to Furman at home
Indiana State beat easily by Ball State....( We play them twice)
Illinois State beat by Belmont

Admittedly this means nothing, but it's hard to envision there are nine better teams in the conference than that one that played X.

If the Aces continue to shoot 45.8% for the game, and 51.5% of their threes, they won't finish last. Now the trick is to do that, which they won't, but those are goals to shoot for.

Return to “The Aces”