Will the Aces finish last?

Discussions of all the Aces sports
svmar10
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1965

Re: Will the Aces finish last?

Postby svmar10 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:40 pm

Just a quick computer rankings review with about 20% into the season. "The Valley" is not exactly representing themselves very well. All ten teams are strung out between 95th - 203rd. Still a couple of weeks before conference starts, but I like to glance at this to get a feel for "will we play Thursday? or finish 6th or better. If we stay healthy and freshmen grow up, I think we can avoid play in. There's 5-6 teams we should be able to give a good run.

Thoughts?

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:28 pm

This next stretch of games will tell us a lot. Can we beat average teams (Miami and Ark St) on the road, they are on par with some MVC teams? Can we beat pretty good teams at home (Ball St and Jacksonville St)? Both are solid and on par with MVC teams. With the exception of @Murray (very tough game) they are all winnable, win most of them it’ll be a great sign for MVC play. Until we see those games it’s tough to say.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:32 pm

svmar10 wrote:Just a quick computer rankings review with about 20% into the season. "The Valley" is not exactly representing themselves very well. All ten teams are strung out between 95th - 203rd. Still a couple of weeks before conference starts, but I like to glance at this to get a feel for "will we play Thursday? or finish 6th or better. If we stay healthy and freshmen grow up, I think we can avoid play in. There's 5-6 teams we should be able to give a good run.

Thoughts?

I think it is too early to predict what the Aces will do in conference play at this time. We need to see what they can do for the rest of the pre-conference games. Based on what I have seen so far, I will say this. We will have a better than average shot to beat, MO. ST, Northern Iowa, Valpo, and Drake HERE. I will give Ind. St a 50-50 chance Here. I have no idea what we would do against any MVC team on the road. As of right now, I don't see any wins on the road. Now that could change, so we will have to see how that works out. 5-13 won't keep us out of Thursday. Will it keep us out of last place? Who knows. This of course all depends on whether the Aces can put it all together from here on out, but this is my opinion right now.

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:43 pm

We all just need to make sure we keep it real and not have visions of what we want to see and expect.....so far....things are so-so at best. Please don't talk about our record right now as we have truly not played anyone that would make a serious run in the NCAA tourney. We knew this year and know after 7 games what we have and how we have played. Not completely sure what we have coming and losing helps with those thoughts in the future. Again...trying to be patient...but it is getting tougher. Things we ALL see as detrimental have nothing to do with grade level. Go back and look at posts over the last 4-5 games......everyone is talking about fundamental basketball these young men should already know and have played for years. Most have played AAU or some sort of Summer ball and should have a great idea of what it takes at the next level. Time for the kids, not the coaches...to step up and play basketball...not better basketball....but simple basketball in general.
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

GoAcesgo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1989

Postby GoAcesgo » Mon Dec 03, 2018 10:16 pm

Idk where we will finish just like anyone else it's a guess, but will say I'm not impressed with Northern Iowa, Illinois State or Bradley, thought all 3 would be better than what they are currently showing.... I think we could be real competitive in about 10 of the 16 conference games, what that translates into in wins and loses idk I guess anywhere between 6 and 10 wins

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:23 am

At least one thing will happen,all the Valley coaches can't prepare
for us in their sleep.With Marty they knew we would have the same offense. :D :D

youngacesfan
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 1999

Postby youngacesfan » Tue Dec 04, 2018 9:24 am

acecard wrote:
svmar10 wrote:Just a quick computer rankings review with about 20% into the season. "The Valley" is not exactly representing themselves very well. All ten teams are strung out between 95th - 203rd. Still a couple of weeks before conference starts, but I like to glance at this to get a feel for "will we play Thursday? or finish 6th or better. If we stay healthy and freshmen grow up, I think we can avoid play in. There's 5-6 teams we should be able to give a good run.

Thoughts?

I think it is too early to predict what the Aces will do in conference play at this time. We need to see what they can do for the rest of the pre-conference games. Based on what I have seen so far, I will say this. We will have a better than average shot to beat, MO. ST, Northern Iowa, Valpo, and Drake HERE. I will give Ind. St a 50-50 chance Here. I have no idea what we would do against any MVC team on the road. As of right now, I don't see any wins on the road. Now that could change, so we will have to see how that works out. 5-13 won't keep us out of Thursday. Will it keep us out of last place? Who knows. This of course all depends on whether the Aces can put it all together from here on out, but this is my opinion right now.

I agree with all of those points except Indiana state. They'll have a legit shot at winning the valley when they get P5 transfers cooper neese and Christian Williams at the end of the semester

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Tue Dec 04, 2018 11:01 am

GoAcesgo wrote:Idk where we will finish just like anyone else it's a guess, but will say I'm not impressed with Northern Iowa, Illinois State or Bradley, thought all 3 would be better than what they are currently showing.... I think we could be real competitive in about 10 of the 16 conference games, what that translates into in wins and loses idk I guess anywhere between 6 and 10 wins

Illinois State has been playing hobbled. They should be full strength by January. That's bad news for everyone else. A lot of our enthusiasm will melt away in conference play. Drake is projected to join us in the bottom two spots. I have watched them twice and they are a handful on both ends. They will be our first conference test and I wouldn't be too quick to dismiss them. I'm confident that McCarty is building a greater program than we have been used to seeing but we don't have the size inside this year to avoid being a Thursday team. And from what I've seen lately our ball movement has slowed down and that will make the equalizer of open 3s harder to get. I think we'll be closer to 6 conference wins than 10 but I'd love to be wrong. Next year is another story.

kyace1
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1983

Postby kyace1 » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:27 pm

I do not know if it will affect our MVC finish, but in my opinion, the competitiveness of this team depends on the development of Givance. He is a true point guard, brings good energy, seems to have some swagger and has a shot that must be respected. I like KJ, but I would rather him play the SF instead of PG. I think he could maybe give very limited help at the point, but I believe that Givance should play 32-35 min/gm. I believe this would be great for the future and really good for this year. And who knows, maybe we would score in the first 6 minutes.

51ACE
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1978

Postby 51ACE » Tue Dec 04, 2018 3:55 pm

kyace1 wrote:I do not know if it will affect our MVC finish, but in my opinion, the competitiveness of this team depends on the development of Givance. He is a true point guard, brings good energy, seems to have some swagger and has a shot that must be respected. I like KJ, but I would rather him play the SF instead of PG. I think he could maybe give very limited help at the point, but I believe that Givance should play 32-35 min/gm. I believe this would be great for the future and really good for this year. And who knows, maybe we would score in the first 6 minutes.

Couldn't agree more. I like K.J. also, but at this point I have lost faith in him running the point, unless we are in a pinch. I would like to see a starting lineup of Givance, Frederking, Feehan, DC and Hall. I can see why they like bringing Frederking off the bench to give us that true 6th man feel, but I would rather his offense be in the game from the very start. We could still bring Marty off the bench, who I believe could give us that same 6th man affect. When Givance is out of the game we could play a combination of Feehan, Hill and Riley at point.
I had this same feel last year about K.J. I like him as a player, but when Boo came back and played toward the end of the season, we received much better point guard play.
My take on the team this year is the coaches and players are still finding their way, meaning roles are still being determined. I am not interested in the old days when the role of a player was screening for D.J., but I am interested in players knowing what they can do and can't do. I think K.J. can play a very important role on this team and I want him to. It just seems he has been pressing lately and I believe he is trying to do too much at times. I would say the same for John Hall. Super excited about his play, as long as he doesn't try to do too much.
The one thing I tell myself is that most of these players are only freshman's and sophomore's, or have limited playing time prior to this year. As many of you have said, we have to be patient and see how they grow as the season goes forward.

Return to “The Aces”