Will the Aces finish last?

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Re: Will the Aces finish last?

Postby Tom Servo » Tue Dec 04, 2018 4:09 pm

51ACE wrote:
kyace1 wrote:I do not know if it will affect our MVC finish, but in my opinion, the competitiveness of this team depends on the development of Givance. He is a true point guard, brings good energy, seems to have some swagger and has a shot that must be respected. I like KJ, but I would rather him play the SF instead of PG. I think he could maybe give very limited help at the point, but I believe that Givance should play 32-35 min/gm. I believe this would be great for the future and really good for this year. And who knows, maybe we would score in the first 6 minutes.

Couldn't agree more. I like K.J. also, but at this point I have lost faith in him running the point, unless we are in a pinch. I would like to see a starting lineup of Givance, Frederking, Feehan, DC and Hall. I can see why they like bringing Frederking off the bench to give us that true 6th man feel, but I would rather his offense be in the game from the very start. We could still bring Marty off the bench, who I believe could give us that same 6th man affect. When Givance is out of the game we could play a combination of Feehan, Hill and Riley at point.
I had this same feel last year about K.J. I like him as a player, but when Boo came back and played toward the end of the season, we received much better point guard play.
My take on the team this year is the coaches and players are still finding their way, meaning roles are still being determined. I am not interested in the old days when the role of a player was screening for D.J., but I am interested in players knowing what they can do and can't do. I think K.J. can play a very important role on this team and I want him to. It just seems he has been pressing lately and I believe he is trying to do too much at times. I would say the same for John Hall. Super excited about his play, as long as he doesn't try to do too much.
The one thing I tell myself is that most of these players are only freshman's and sophomore's, or have limited playing time prior to this year. As many of you have said, we have to be patient and see how they grow as the season goes forward.

Could not possibly agree more with these two posts. I think we will probably start to see these things happen more as the season progresses (Hopefully!).
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

sect.3purple
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Postby sect.3purple » Tue Dec 04, 2018 8:06 pm

I feel like our progression has hit a brick wall and that we are careening backwards....??????? Didn't expect a fabulous season, but sure didn't expect to lose ground. Too early to figure out why, but hope the coaches and team can turn this around soon!

JohnU
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:03 am

sect.3purple wrote:I feel like our progression has hit a brick wall and that we are careening backwards....??????? Didn't expect a fabulous season, but sure didn't expect to lose ground. Too early to figure out why, but hope the coaches and team can turn this around soon!

Part of this is seeing only one side of the picture, with due respect.
The teams the Aces are playing have gotten better as the season moves along. Almost all of them were a lot closer to the starting line to begin with ... since it's hard to imagine anybody being stuck with a 9-man roster that includes a couple of guys who are glorified walk-ons.

So the Aces may be taking a small step forward as the season progresses, but their opponents are as well. That's normal.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 9:41 am

The way we played last night,yes I can see us finishing in last place.But the future looks brighter than it did last year.Stay the course

stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Postby stennisrm72 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 12:50 pm

This is a young team in addition to being shorthanded. They will rise and plateau, maybe even take a step back now and then. Anybody that understands human performance knows this. #GetOnBoard #StayOnBoard

JohnU
Ford Center Regular

Postby JohnU » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:49 pm

This could work two ways. If I am a decent to strong recruit, I watch the Aces and say, if I join that team, they can use me right away. No sittin' on the bench, 13th on the bench, getting some time wearing the red shirt in practice.
The other way is, I wouldn't be caught dead playing for them.

I like the first option.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Wed Dec 05, 2018 2:57 pm

JohnU wrote:This could work two ways. If I am a decent to strong recruit, I watch the Aces and say, if I join that team, they can use me right away. No sittin' on the bench, 13th on the bench, getting some time wearing the red shirt in practice.

I like the first option.

I too like the 1st option and I think the connections and experience this staff has will be likely to pull in some guys. I'm sure any big guy that sees this team is thinking they can step in and play right away. That's my hope anyway. Has anyone heard anything about potential recruits? I know at one time there was a rumor mdespenlaub posted about a big guy either joining or committing to the team and someone other poster had said we got a commitment from another player. Both items were posted on here but haven't heard anything official yet.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

JohnU
Ford Center Regular

Postby JohnU » Wed Dec 05, 2018 3:52 pm

Tom Servo wrote:
JohnU wrote:This could work two ways. If I am a decent to strong recruit, I watch the Aces and say, if I join that team, they can use me right away. No sittin' on the bench, 13th on the bench, getting some time wearing the red shirt in practice.

I like the first option.

I too like the 1st option and I think the connections and experience this staff has will be likely to pull in some guys. I'm sure any big guy that sees this team is thinking they can step in and play right away. That's my hope anyway. Has anyone heard anything about potential recruits? I know at one time there was a rumor mdespenlaub posted about a big guy either joining or committing to the team and someone other poster had said we got a commitment from another player. Both items were posted on here but haven't heard anything official yet.

I think if we drew a big ring around a 200-mile radius from E-ville, we could identify a hundred guys who could play for the Aces next year.
Don't need all 100 of them to be sure, but the history of the program is dotted with guys from such places as Batesville, Jeffersonville, Columbus, Earlington ... you get the point.
That's not overly difficult to find the players. Who's doing the asking? At this point, I suspect it's higher on the list of priorities than at almost ever other Valley school. it will be fun to see who comes calling.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Thu Dec 06, 2018 8:53 pm

I’m sitting here now watching Drake blow out Milwaukee by 24 points and thinking about the way the Aces are currently playing how are we going to beat Drake.

We have no game in the paint offensively and on defense we must play with one hand behind our back for fear of what size we have fouling out. Also it doesn’t help that Drake has a 7-footer in the middle.

That leads us to our 3-point game. It has been slowly disappearing. I heard an espn announcer say recently that a team neutralized Feehan by putting a large guard on him taking away his 3-point game. Since he has trouble finishing in the paint his scoring has begun to fall off.

Since our inside game is basically non-existent and our best outside shooter is being defended that allows other defenders to move out on our shooters and affect their ability to score. Playing with a small roster leads to problems across the board.

The Valley coaches are not dumb and will exploit our weaknesses and a last place finish is not beyond a possibility.

However, the Cavalry is coming. Three generals on the bench and one in the bag. A strong Spring recruiting season and the bottom tier will be a thing of the past. Walter and Staff will put this team together.

NumbersDontLie
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1992

Postby NumbersDontLie » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:00 pm

Will the Aces finish last? I’m not sure, but I don’t think so. Looking around at some history today, and I think I found a comparable team to this year.

2013-14 was the sophomore year of DJ, EM, and AW. Jaylon and Blake were freshmen. Consistently all we heard was how the Aces were the sixth (?) youngest team in the NCAA that year.

Avg experience that year was 0.6 years, this year 0.7. (Those are the only two times I could find us less than 1.0 in the last decade.)

That team finished 14-19, 6-12 in conference for 8th. Showed some flashes of good play (home win over Valpo, close loss @ Xavier) and some awful performances (blown out @ IU and home loss to SWAC school Jackson State.)

I obviously hope for a better finish than that - and think we could be capable. But 7-6 non conference (they had 2
Mom D1s as well), 6-12 conference, and 1-1 in Arch Madness.

I think I take that this year. Especially knowing perhaps our best athletes are sitting out this year.

Return to “The Aces”