Will the Aces finish last?

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Aces & Eights
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1971

Re: Will the Aces finish last?

Postby Aces & Eights » Thu Dec 06, 2018 10:05 pm

AcesHigh wrote:That leads us to our 3-point game. It has been slowly disappearing. I heard an espn announcer say recently that a team neutralized Feehan by putting a large guard on him taking away his 3-point game. Since he has trouble finishing in the paint his scoring has begun to fall off.

How many 4 pt attempts has Shea already had this year? He seems to thrive with a defender in his face. Shea leads the team with 13.8 points scored a game. He has scored in double figures 5 of the 8 games played with games of 19,20, and 21 points. He leads the team with 22 3pt shots made at 45%. He is 2nd in free throws made and at a team best 79%. I think he is doing just fine.

AcesHigh
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1954

Postby AcesHigh » Thu Dec 06, 2018 11:01 pm

I’m not trying to trash Feehan, I like him, but the Valley defenders will key on him and we can’t afford a falloff of his game.

In all games played this year he has made 24 of 54 threes for a 44.4% shooting percentage. His last 4 games he shot 4-7, 1-3, 1-2, and 4-10 for a percentage of 45.5 consistent with his ytd percentage. However in two of those games he made just 2-5 shots taken. I think he needs to be more active beyond the arc.

During those same last four games inside the arc he was 2-7, 0-1, 0-4 and 2-3. These games totaled 4-15 for a percentage of 26.7%. I don’t know how many of these were drives to the basket or short pull-ups, but this needs to improve to keep the defense honest.

I’ve watched every game this year available on tv or my computer and this is what has stood out the most. I’m not a coach or pretend to be one but I’m sure Walter and staff would like to see more production in the best part of his game, shooting 3s.

JohnU
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1966

Postby JohnU » Fri Dec 07, 2018 3:41 pm

[quote="AcesHigh"]I’m not trying to trash Feehan, I like him, but the Valley defenders will key on him and we can’t afford a falloff of his game.

/quote]
Feehan is a D-3 guy who can shoot. Get him open and he'll make the 3-ball. He's accomplished more than I expected of him and he's consistent with what he will bring to the floor. Nothing evil there. He saw a chance to play another year at a higher level and he's doing that. Any other relationship between him and the future of the U of E program is coincidental.

ncace
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1969

Postby ncace » Fri Dec 07, 2018 4:52 pm

Shea has bought into what Walter is trying to teach. He has the basketball IQ to be a coach someday, if he chooses. His decision to find a D1 program that would take him says a lot about his determination and work ethic. I like him, and we are fortunate to have him, even just for a year.

Shea's 3 pt. success will depend on whether we have an inside game to balance outside shooting. If DC comes around, that will help. When KJ is slashing, that helps, and when Evan is hitting his shot, that helps, too. I realize that Evan and Shea may not be on the court at the same time, but it still causes an opponent to pay attention to the entire team, rather than one guy who has been well-scouted and deemed a threat.

Return to “The Aces”