Postby CoachD88 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 5:07 pm

Very, very interesting.....
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Re: AVAILABLE PLAYERS NEEDED

Postby stennisrm72 » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:13 pm

MdEspenlaub wrote:DC is suspended for at least 3 games, not out due to injury.

So why is he suspended?

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Thu Oct 25, 2018 6:19 pm

UE11 wrote:
Ace78 wrote:I just noticed the bad news about Will Becker ....

I was curious, so looked up a few hints from twitter. It seems like there are several recent "likes" and "following" going on between Will and the Regis University coaching staff. Supposedly, Regis University is located in Denver, Colorado and is a Div. 2 program. That makes me question about Will being hurt. It could be a case of home sickness.

In my opinion, once a kid (or anyone) makes a commitment, they should follow through .... and in this case, at least for the season. Whatever the reason, that puts a HUGE damper on this season with the front line depth. I don't believe this is due to the efforts of the coaching staff ... they have been very positive and have worked tremendously hard with recruiting the returning players and newcomers.

Maybe we should take off the tin-foil hats, let everything play out and get all of the information (as non-2018 as that might be) before we get out the pitchforks and crucify someone for being a liar and a quitter. Even so, please show me the serval recent likes from Will to the Regis University coaching staff(or vice versa), because I sure don't see any. There are 100s of reasons for someone to follow someone else on Twitter, and not all of them have to do with an 18 year old's evil plan to take up a scholarship and then bolt last second to put the program in a huge damper.

I agree. But I also believe that the A.D. bears some responsibility for the tin-foiling. Not everything they know is protected by rules, laws and regulations. Some of it, like the hiding of DeAndre's eligibility, is strategic to not step on ticket sales. I consider that short term thinking. I'm certain that someone on their staff monitors these comments. They create bad will by permitting wild speculation. I'm not impressed.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:43 pm

I agree with Whiskers and CoachD about the tin foil hat thinking...UE brings that on themselves. I posted on here a while ago the way they act you would think they have all the info about the grassy knoll, Area 51 and the warehouse they hid the Ark from Indiana Jones to protect. They need to be more open with their communication and they need to not tweet out things about big news and exciting things that can’t be talked about because of NCAA rules unless there really is something going on. It ruins credibility.

I will also add this certainly isn’t a new occurrence, the secrecy was every bit as bad when Simmons was here.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 6:33 pm

Interesting going back through some of the posts and replies the last few months. Seems like every time we have gotten a bit of good news....it has been trumped (no pun intended) by something negative. Some have stated things only to have those thoughts blown out of the air. Others have been stingy/forthcoming with praise only to be proven correct (or wrong). I hope and pray the season isn't the same. Someone told me a post or so back that "once trust is lost...it is hard to get back". Sometimes I think ours is being tested....lets hope time, some wins and some realization set in and things turn around on all fronts.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 8:01 pm

All player news is the responsibility of the AD department. That's where
the problem lies,not the coaching staff. Now, after this year if we start seeing
the assistance coaches and other players bolting,then we have problem.

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1976

Postby CoachD88 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 9:07 pm

muni cup14 wrote:All player news is the responsibility of the AD department. That's where
the problem lies,not the coaching staff. Now, after this year if we start seeing
the assistance coaches and other players bolting,then we have problem.

I completely agree...to a point....there is no way that the staff doesn't know or have some input on some of this stuff happening (especially a new staff). There is no way, unless we are talking about Louisville, Arizona, etc..., that the staff doesn't know what is going on (tongue n cheek). WE all have a valid interest in the program and its success or failure (if not we wouldn't be on here). Just hoping certain things from the past don't continue to happen in the future.

211N-69
Bobblehead Owner

Postby 211N-69 » Fri Oct 26, 2018 10:45 pm

I think you have to go through 2 dozen players to find 6 or 8 who are accountable, or have enough ability or health to play at the Valley level. McCarty got -- what? -- four or five guys, and one of them isn't even eligible. Even though he got the job early, it's still been a pretty narrow window for finding a quality program that generally was a pile of guys who had been picked over. I suspect McCarty has been realistic about this sort of problem. Every program has some of it and the ones that are starting with this much turnover are going to suffer a lot of anguish.

wildbill
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1975

Postby wildbill » Sat Oct 27, 2018 7:34 am

Everybody was ready for, and deserved a change for the basketball program. That change came when Marty was fired. Everybody was elated, once again deservingly so. Now, WOW, a local legend, NBA player and experienced assistant is hired to rebuild our tired, boring team. A lot of us, including me, quickly got unrealistic ideas, hoping, dreaming Walter was taking us immediately into the promised land. But in fairness, he has to have time, a few years realistically. I think he got the best players he could, probably gambled on a few kids and lost. I am sure in time these issues will not continue. My only problem is the lack of information relayed to the fans. We can, and will continue to support the Aces, just keep us updated on the program's status.

211N-69
Bobblehead Owner

Postby 211N-69 » Sat Oct 27, 2018 8:29 am

wildbill wrote:............ My only problem is the lack of information relayed to the fans. We can, and will continue to support the Aces, just keep us updated on the program's status.

To be fair, all I really ever got in the past about the team was what was told in the pre-game yabber on the TV feed. If I missed that or the announcers neglected to mention it, well ... pfffft. There were games when Boo or Dru or Yoonohoo weren't in the lineup and I'd wonder 'Huh, what's up with that?" only to learn after the game that somebody had a sore foot or some such. I was OK with that but I was always sort of in the dark about it since I don't follow the team day-to-day in the E-ville media. I never saw it as deception, just that the process is sometimes a little incomplete for some of us.

I think university programs are conservative about public information on young men and -- by extension -- the people who care about them. That's created its own monster in places like Louisville, Kansas -- you know the rest on that. The world is imperfect.

I still only get bits and pieces of information. Modern athletic programs depend too heavily on Facebook and Twitter. That's a source of information but it's also unregulated and less than reliable at times.

Return to “The Aces”