AVAILABLE PLAYERS NEEDED

Discussions of all the Aces sports
PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Re: AVAILABLE PLAYERS NEEDED

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:24 pm

Apparently, UE followed protocol by not releasing info on Will Becker prematurely. UE has complied with NCAA regulations regarding Dru's transfer and has refused to lie for Missouri. In both instances some of us were rushing to judgment about UE's secrecy and intentions. I believe we were so traumatized by the Marty years that we now expect the worst. As it stands, assuming all the statements from UE are true, we have been served well by the Athletic Director. The future looks bright. Keep the faith, enjoy Walter's first year with the new look Aces and get ready to Dance in the coming years.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:36 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:Apparently, UE followed protocol by not releasing info on Will Becker prematurely. UE has complied with NCAA regulations regarding Dru's transfer and has refused to lie for Missouri. In both instances some of us were rushing to judgment about UE's secrecy and intentions. I believe we were so traumatized by the Marty years that we now expect the worst. As it stands, assuming all the statements from UE are true, we have been served well by the Athletic Director. The future looks bright. Keep the faith, enjoy Walter's first year with the new look Aces and get ready to Dance in the coming years.

Well said Whiskers, also good post bleed purple on the previous page.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Wed Oct 31, 2018 9:48 pm

Tom Servo wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:Apparently, UE followed protocol by not releasing info on Will Becker prematurely. UE has complied with NCAA regulations regarding Dru's transfer and has refused to lie for Missouri. In both instances some of us were rushing to judgment about UE's secrecy and intentions. I believe we were so traumatized by the Marty years that we now expect the worst. As it stands, assuming all the statements from UE are true, we have been served well by the Athletic Director. The future looks bright. Keep the faith, enjoy Walter's first year with the new look Aces and get ready to Dance in the coming years.

Well said Whiskers, also good post bleed purple on the previous page.

+10

Austin Ace
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1970

Postby Austin Ace » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:24 am

I haven't had a chance to read all of the comments yet; but wondering if a player like Dixon would be available mid semester. Obviously a player has to be enrolled at UE to play on the team. So unless we have a 7 footer enrolled already are next best option would be to bring a player in at the beginning of next semester. Obviously our roster is extremely lean for this year especially with the uptempo offense that Walter wants to run. Thoughts? Possible players?

211N-69
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 211N-69 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:52 am

Austin Ace wrote:I haven't had a chance to read all of the comments yet; but wondering if a player like Dixon would be available mid semester. Obviously a player has to be enrolled at UE to play on the team. So unless we have a 7 footer enrolled already are next best option would be to bring a player in at the beginning of next semester. Obviously our roster is extremely lean for this year especially with the uptempo offense that Walter wants to run. Thoughts? Possible players?

I have no idea who is available but my assumption is that McCarty may want to run a game he can't run but is smart enough to know the difference.

So what we see will be based on who he has, not who he wishes he had.

If there is no rebounding depth, this is going to be a very painful season. On rare nights when the 3-pointers are all falling, those will be fun games. In the Valley, the defenses are too good to let that happen much.

My hope is that the players step up and play above the rim, so to speak. I think Kuhlman did that last year. Riley may need to become an all-conference player. He might be good enough.

acecard
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1950

Postby acecard » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:07 pm

211N-69 wrote:
Austin Ace wrote:I haven't had a chance to read all of the comments yet; but wondering if a player like Dixon would be available mid semester. Obviously a player has to be enrolled at UE to play on the team. So unless we have a 7 footer enrolled already are next best option would be to bring a player in at the beginning of next semester. Obviously our roster is extremely lean for this year especially with the uptempo offense that Walter wants to run. Thoughts? Possible players?

I have no idea who is available but my assumption is that McCarty may want to run a game he can't run but is smart enough to know the difference.

So what we see will be based on who he has, not who he wishes he had.

If there is no rebounding depth, this is going to be a very painful season. On rare nights when the 3-pointers are all falling, those will be fun games. In the Valley, the defenses are too good to let that happen much.

My hope is that the players step up and play above the rim, so to speak. I think Kuhlman did that last year. Riley may need to become an all-conference player. He might be good enough.

Yes, Riley may need to become an all-conference player, but all the returning players are going to have to play at a higher level than they did last year. I am hoping that the Walter style of basketball will give them the opportunity to do so. I feel that Marty Hill, and John Hall, have that ability. IF DC can learn to play defense without fouling, then he should be better also. Frederking, and Kuhlman, are the players that I worry about the most being able to raise their game to another level. I certainly hope that they can prove me wrong. I think we can hang with most of the Valley teams if the 3's are falling. If they they are not, then we will be in a world of hurt. Only time will tell how good the defense will be.

ncace
Road Tripper

Postby ncace » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:11 pm

To the previous question about Dixon. As he is currently enrolled at JC, is there a rule that prohibits him from transferring to a D1 or D2 school after the first semester? Or does he have to wait until next fall to play for a 4 year school?

Ace78
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Ace78 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 4:33 pm

ncace wrote:To the previous question about Dixon. As he is currently enrolled at JC, is there a rule that prohibits him from transferring to a D1 or D2 school after the first semester? Or does he have to wait until next fall to play for a 4 year school?

Just looked that up .... Per Junior College Transfer Rules: “In Division I, if you are transferring from a two-year college and you have been certified as a final academic qualifier, the requirements to compete in your first year are:
Attend the two-year college full-time for at least one semester or quarter;
Achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of at least 2.000; and
Complete an average of at least 12 transferable credit hours per full-time term at the two-year college.

If you plan on playing baseball or basketball (men’s or women’s) after your transfer, you may not transfer during the middle of the year from a two-year college and play that same year.”

ncace
Road Tripper

Postby ncace » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:50 pm

Thanks for the clarification. So, are there ANY other conceivable scenarios where we might see a player join the team at mid-season?

211N-69
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 211N-69 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 5:52 pm

ncace wrote:Thanks for the clarification. So, are there ANY other conceivable scenarios where we might see a player join the team at mid-season?

I often wonder why more students from Europe don't just 'drop in' at the semester break. How does the NCAA keep track of a kid from somewhere like Bulgaria?

Return to “The Aces”