Discussions of all the Aces sports
pafan
Crazy Man
Crazy Man
Fan Since: 2003

StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Postby pafan » Mon Oct 29, 2018 8:55 pm

From a column that will print in Tuesday's St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

Ben Frederickson wrote:Evansville transfer Dru Smith might be the best college basketball player on the Tigers’ roster at the moment. Not the best NBA prospect. And not the best in terms of potential as a college player. But the best college player right now. And it looks like the guard who averaged 13.7 points and 4.6 assists last season is going to have to sit this season.

Frederickson goes on to cite half a dozen other transfers who were granted waivers of the transfer rule, and calls on UE to drop any objections it might have raised.

I will note this whole story is predicated on one "source close to the player" who says Evansville was not cooperative. But there is also no evidence Evansville was even asked. As usual with the NCAA, their decisions are about as transparent as the average cartel.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns ... 840e0.html

hat tip to JoJo Gentry, who linked this on Twitter a bit ago.
PurpleAcesFans on Facebook & Twitter

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Re: StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Postby Aces101 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:07 pm

Mizzou needs to grow up. Rules in place must be followed, or why have rules at all. If players can come and go as they please, mid majors will simply serve as prep schools for the Power 5 conferences. Kids like Smith, who weren’t heavily recruited, will go to mid majors and play well, then move on to a school with an opening at their position...ala free agency. That’s not what college athletics is supposed to be about.

On another note, I find it interesting that Marty’s friend Chris Hollander is an Assistant Coach at Mizzou. Is he the connection and reason why Smith wound up at Mizzou? Is he the source that’s close to Smith leaking this garbage? Is he jealous that Walter got the job while he didn’t get an interview? Inquiring minds want to know.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Re: StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Postby Tom Servo » Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:14 pm

Given how UE is we aren't going to hear their side of this. Honestly, I would rather they just cooperate if any of this is actually true. Usually the way things work, if you are a jerk about something it will come back and bite you at the worst time. I'd hate to see something happen to UE down the road because of this. Smith playing or not playing has no bearing whatsoever on UE. Just put it in the hands of the NCAA and see what happens.

Aces101, I think they wrote this because several players at other schools were granted waivers because their coaches were fired. I think it was stupid of the NCAA to do that, but I think if UE doesn't cooperate it will make the school look bad and it will probably come back to haunt us later.

Like you said though, who knows if any of this is actually true or not. Just my two cents.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

mybigpurplebrain
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1982

Postby mybigpurplebrain » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:02 pm

The NCAA I setting a horrible precedent with this . Everybody has known the rules and followed them. Players know when they leave that is the rule .
I would think granting a player like MH a medical year would be more worthy than an exception like this.

UE0958
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1976

Postby UE0958 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:42 pm

We don't owe Mizzou anything. Nothing against Dru as I wish him well but the rule needs to be in place or the P5 schools will cherry pick mid-majors non stop.

211N-69
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 211N-69 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 10:54 pm

I am part wondering how this translates to mid-majors who get a good player who says, like Jimmy Chitwood did in Hoosiers, "Coach stays, I play. Coach goes, I go." Meaning, the university, by firing its coach for reasons it saw as fundamentally practical, basically knew that the team's top player would hit the door. So to keep Dru, they had to keep Marty. Now Dru wants to go somewhere else and play immediately.

In that respect, just to be fair and decent, I guess letting him do that isn't going to upset the global balance of things.

Small price to pay, big price to pay? If every time a coach is fired, the NCAA gets to hold up the 'special exceptions' card and turn this around to make the university look like the bad guy. NCAA has pretended it is loosening the rules to make the game more fair. Believe as much of that as you can swallow.

In this case, I'd give Dru Smith the waiver and maybe just only recruit B-level high school kids in the future. And never fire the coach.

acesfan27
Bobblehead Owner

Postby acesfan27 » Mon Oct 29, 2018 11:29 pm

I like Dru Smith as a ball player but he knew what he was getting himself into when he transferred out he had a chance to stay and play for his hometown and help turn the program around but decided to leave when Marty got fired so IMO we don't owe Missou squat when you transfer from one school to the next typically your going to have to sit out a year its the rule Mizzou needs to quit poking fingers at other people and worry about themselves.

muni cup14
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby muni cup14 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 7:55 am

It was his choice to transfer,so put on you big boy pants and pay the consequences of transferring

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:34 am

pafan wrote:From a column that will print in Tuesday's St. Louis Post-Dispatch:

Ben Frederickson wrote:Evansville transfer Dru Smith might be the best college basketball player on the Tigers’ roster at the moment. Not the best NBA prospect. And not the best in terms of potential as a college player. But the best college player right now. And it looks like the guard who averaged 13.7 points and 4.6 assists last season is going to have to sit this season.

Frederickson goes on to cite half a dozen other transfers who were granted waivers of the transfer rule, and calls on UE to drop any objections it might have raised.

I will note this whole story is predicated on one "source close to the player" who says Evansville was not cooperative. But there is also no evidence Evansville was even asked. As usual with the NCAA, their decisions are about as transparent as the average cartel.

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns ... 840e0.html

hat tip to JoJo Gentry, who linked this on Twitter a bit ago.

The article also states a spokesman for UE would not comment as to the reason not granting the wavier. None of us on the outside know the specifics but I do understand Ben Frederickson's point. Living in St.Louis, I can tell you he is a reasonable and rational sportswriter. In all honesty, it does indeed look "petty" to me as well.....but I also know that there may be something I do not know.

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader

Postby Tom Servo » Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:42 am

Here's the real question...why did Dru transfer? According to some here and others I've heard from he was going to transfer regardless of Simmons being fired or not. Had Simmons not been fired and he transferred, there would be not doubt that he would have to sit. If he's using the SImmons firing as an excuse to get to play right away (even if he was going to leave regardless) that's shady, at least to me. What do you guys think?
Last edited by Tom Servo on Tue Oct 30, 2018 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Return to “The Aces”