StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Discussions of all the Aces sports
PurpleAces
Road Tripper
Posts: 205
Joined: Tue Nov 14, 2017 11:42 am
Fan Since: 1980

Re: StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Postby PurpleAces » Tue Oct 30, 2018 2:27 pm

Mizzou Man wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:If Mizzou's season revolves around whether Dru who wasn't exactly a 5-star recruit and potential lottery pick can get a sweetheart P5 exception to the rules, maybe they should petition the MVC for inclusion. They would be a good fit.


It's a generous offer. I have always liked Arch Madness. But the Salukis just killed us by knocking our best player out in our secret scrimmage with them. I'll pass.



Maybe you guys need to toughen up.

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Posts: 350
Joined: Tue Jan 31, 2017 1:25 pm
Fan Since: 1980

Re: StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Postby Ad1770 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:04 pm

Mizzou Man wrote:I don't recall KJ Walton seeking an NCAA waiver to play immediately. If he did and Mizzou didn't assist then I agree with Ryan O'Gara. But I don't recall that happening. Obviously the NCAA has become a lot more lenient in just the past couple of years.

I remember when Jonathan Williams III transferred about four years ago, Mizzou caught a lot of flak nationally because we were restricting some Pac-12 and Big XII schools. Bilas called them out for that and I think we might have dropped it to just SEC schools. Things ended up okay for him at Gonzaga however.


So, Mr. Frederickson. You say you don’t recall that, but the truth is, you were more than ok that he sat out last year. After all, he was leaving the all powerful Mizzou Tigers, and they just can’t have that, now can they? But now that it is reversed with a player coming in, you want to call us “petty”? And why would that be? Because Evansville used the last protection that they had against a P6 school, and because we didn’t quiver and back off and give your mighty Mizzou Tigers everything they wanted, we are in the wrong?

You say on Twitter that you don’t want transfers to become the wild wild west, but that is exactly what is happening, and I for one applaud any midmajor who fights to not become a feeder team for the P6. You wanted the kid? Should have recruited him before he was in college. Now, let him sit. Oh, and before you go there, I don’t give a (split) about the deal your almighty Tigers worked up with Illinois for the other Smith. I’m quite sure that we will see a home and home series pop up in a couple of years, and it won’t surprise me one bit. But, I digress.

Plain and simple. As soon as open transfers are approved, all but 75 basketball programs might as well shut it down because they won’t be able to keep their top talent. But hey. That would just put your almighty Mizzou Tigers closer to the bottom, and will make them the ones getting eaten by the sharks.

Have a nice day. This whole topic is nothing more than a joke anyways.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

Mizzou Man
Casual Fan
Posts: 19
Joined: Tue Oct 30, 2018 11:05 am
Fan Since: 2014

Re: StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Postby Mizzou Man » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:33 pm

Ad1770 wrote:
Mizzou Man wrote:I don't recall KJ Walton seeking an NCAA waiver to play immediately. If he did and Mizzou didn't assist then I agree with Ryan O'Gara. But I don't recall that happening. Obviously the NCAA has become a lot more lenient in just the past couple of years.

I remember when Jonathan Williams III transferred about four years ago, Mizzou caught a lot of flak nationally because we were restricting some Pac-12 and Big XII schools. Bilas called them out for that and I think we might have dropped it to just SEC schools. Things ended up okay for him at Gonzaga however.


So, Mr. Frederickson. You say you don’t recall that, but the truth is, you were more than ok that he sat out last year. After all, he was leaving the all powerful Mizzou Tigers, and they just can’t have that, now can they? But now that it is reversed with a player coming in, you want to call us “petty”? And why would that be? Because Evansville used the last protection that they had against a P6 school, and because we didn’t quiver and back off and give your mighty Mizzou Tigers everything they wanted, we are in the wrong?

You say on Twitter that you don’t want transfers to become the wild wild west, but that is exactly what is happening, and I for one applaud any midmajor who fights to not become a feeder team for the P6. You wanted the kid? Should have recruited him before he was in college. Now, let him sit. Oh, and before you go there, I don’t give a (split) about the deal your almighty Tigers worked up with Illinois for the other Smith. I’m quite sure that we will see a home and home series pop up in a couple of years, and it won’t surprise me one bit. But, I digress.

Plain and simple. As soon as open transfers are approved, all but 75 basketball programs might as well shut it down because they won’t be able to keep their top talent. But hey. That would just put your almighty Mizzou Tigers closer to the bottom, and will make them the ones getting eaten by the sharks.

Have a nice day. This whole topic is nothing more than a joke anyways.


Lulz. I am not sure if the BenFred stuff is satire or if you legitimately think I am Ben Frederickson. I can assure you that I am not.

1. Selfishly I would like it if Dru Smith was eligible to play for Mizzou this year. It would be cool and stuff. But I think the Mizzou outrage is over the top. I certainly am not tweeting your AD or emailing your school president about it.

2. I just saw some twitter exchange between the Ball State guy and BenFred (who is not a Mizzou beat writer for the record, but is a Mizzou alum I believe) and I agree that I don't want to see the transfer scene turn into the wild west. It is heading down a path that would really hurt mid-majors. I grew up in the Springfield, MO area and was a Missouri State fan as a kid so I have no desire to see things spin out of control. I totally get Evansville's position here and I have posted as such on a Mizzou board.

3. It seems like a lot of people on here are blaming Mizzou for the hubbub. While a columnist in St. Louis wrote this column and a lot of Mizzou fans have lashed out on social media because of it, I think it should be noted that nobody from the University of Missouri has called out UE over this. Not Cuonzo Martin. Not Jim Sterk.

4. I have always like Evansville basketball. I hope UE explores the possibility of getting Sam Cunliffe eligible immediately and I hope it works out. Take advantage of the NCAA and their sudden change in blocking transfers all of the sudden. Pretty sure that is what happened with Mark Smith. I am not really that emotional at all about this subject (I'm more of a football guy anyhow) and only posted here because I was curious about stuff not because I am using the hashtag #FreeDruSmith in all my twitter posts or something.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:35 pm
Fan Since: 1977

Re: StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Tue Oct 30, 2018 3:35 pm

Mizzou Man wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:If Mizzou's season revolves around whether Dru who wasn't exactly a 5-star recruit and potential lottery pick can get a sweetheart P5 exception to the rules, maybe they should petition the MVC for inclusion. They would be a good fit.


It's a generous offer. I have always liked Arch Madness. But the Salukis just killed us by knocking our best player out in our secret scrimmage with them. I'll pass.


If you need an gentler route I'm sure the SWAC would listen.

User avatar
211N-69
Bobblehead Owner
Posts: 286
Joined: Sat Mar 17, 2018 9:48 am
Fan Since: 1964

Re: StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Postby 211N-69 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:38 pm

Mizzou Man wrote:
211N-69 wrote:
E-Villan wrote:


This is the part that I am not understanding correctly I guess. Are you saying that BenFred is lying about getting a "no comment" from the UE spokesperson? I suppose that is possible but it seems unlikely. But if he did get a "no comment" then most likely Evansville is not going to address this publicly. Which is fine. But if you are saying that the only official UE position comes from your AD then that seems odd to me. Media relations folks seem like they would count too. And since Mark Spencer is blocking Mizzou fans left and right on Twitter (allegedly) then it seems likely that they are not going to comment and hope that it goes away.


What I AM saying clearly is that there is no way in HELL the offical U of E position would come from somebody who would refuse to be identified and have no comment. I hope that's not confusing. Media relations people are never anonymous. Their job is to make official comments about the university. So I am suggesting -- I have made that pretty clear -- that BenFred, or whatever A-Rod nickname you chose to give him -- has created a non-existent source to support a premise he finds useful -- that the U of E is being petty.
If he called Spencer, Spencer would be on the record. If he called McCarty, he would be on the record. The media relations guy would identify himself and refer this to Spencer.

So yes, I guess I am accusing somebody of producing a fake person with a fake no comment. I have every reason to believe that the U of E would have an official comment if an official person had been asked. YOu can defend "BenFred" if you wish. I don't care about him, but if he had a real U of E source, that person would not need to remain anonymous if all he was going to say was 'no comment.'

Spencer is not going to make official comments on Twitter. Sorry, but true professionals don't work that way. I don't know that blocking people on Twitter has anything to do with it other than curb the harassment.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Posts: 228
Joined: Mon Jan 01, 2018 9:35 pm
Fan Since: 1977

Re: StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Tue Oct 30, 2018 4:56 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:
Mizzou Man wrote:
PurpleWhiskers wrote:If Mizzou's season revolves around whether Dru who wasn't exactly a 5-star recruit and potential lottery pick can get a sweetheart P5 exception to the rules, maybe they should petition the MVC for inclusion. They would be a good fit.


It's a generous offer. I have always liked Arch Madness. But the Salukis just killed us by knocking our best player out in our secret scrimmage with them. I'll pass.


If you need a gentler route I'm sure the SWAC would listen.

User avatar
stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Posts: 176
Joined: Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:16 pm
Fan Since: 1964
Contact:

Re: StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Postby stennisrm72 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:03 pm

http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/cu ... sfer-terms

I'm reading that once UE granted his release, they have no input one way or the other on whether a waiver is granted. The onus is all on the school accepting the transfer student-athlete.

User avatar
Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1969
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 1:08 pm
Fan Since: 1991
Location: Evansville, IN

Re: StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Postby Tom Servo » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:14 pm

stennisrm72 wrote:http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms

I'm reading that once UE granted his release, they have no input one way or the other on whether a waiver is granted. The onus is all on the school accepting the transfer student-athlete.


That would make much more sense to me...I was sort of scratching my head from the beginning of this trying to understand what UE was going to do in this, or how they could obstruct. The NCAA would already know Simmons was fired, so why couldn't Missouri just ask them directly??? Again...I am no expert on this so I could be completely off base here.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

CoachD88
Bobblehead Owner
Posts: 397
Joined: Tue Jan 20, 2015 7:34 pm
Fan Since: 1976

Re: StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Postby CoachD88 » Tue Oct 30, 2018 5:59 pm

Tom Servo wrote:
stennisrm72 wrote:http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/current/transfer-terms

I'm reading that once UE granted his release, they have no input one way or the other on whether a waiver is granted. The onus is all on the school accepting the transfer student-athlete.


That would make much more sense to me...I was sort of scratching my head from the beginning of this trying to understand what UE was going to do in this, or how they could obstruct. The NCAA would already know Simmons was fired, so why couldn't Missouri just ask them directly??? Again...I am no expert on this so I could be completely off base here.


Tom and basically everyone else on this thread....the true bottom line is that the NCAA has ZERO control over what it supposedly oversees. They are spineless and do not have the best interest of all teams under their umbrella in mind. This is the reason why Congress has to get involved, lawsuits are constantly filed and the reason why corruption runs rampant within their walls and the schools they "supposedly" govern. As far as I am concerned, when anyone breaks a contract, in this case a scholarship, there are always some sort of consequences to follow. Some might call it a punishment....but I agree with the statement made earlier that if you start allowing this all the time.....the NCAA landscape (all sports) WILL resemble the Wild, Wild West!
Just my opinion...I could be wrong!

IBLEEDPURPLE
Head Cheerleader
Posts: 1532
Joined: Sun Oct 20, 2013 4:04 pm
Fan Since: 1969

Re: StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Postby IBLEEDPURPLE » Tue Oct 30, 2018 9:16 pm

It is time for everyone to move on.
Dru is gone, he was leaving once Marty was let go, end of story.
He knew he would have to sit out a year when he left and so did the Mizzou coaches.
My last post on this subject.


Return to “The Aces”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Ahrefs [Bot], Google Feedfetcher and 4 guests