StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Discussions of all the Aces sports
211N-69
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1964

Re: StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Postby 211N-69 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 11:42 am

Mizzou Man wrote:
211N-69 wrote:BenFred still looks like a hero to the Mizzou crowd because he exposed the Evansville people as being responsible for them being a doormat in a conference they have only been in a few years. It is always easy to blame somebody else.

Yes, it is far more important a topic than chip and seal pavement in central Missouri.

I also find it a convenient rationale to toss this up in the air as, "After all, every student deserves the right to ...." and then compare it to getting the right to use the library at your new school. Not many student transfers are doing it because the research library doesn't measure up.

Athletes game the system and the coaches game the athletes. We are supposed to just accept that, buy our orange and purple beanie and say, "wooooo, we almost beat Illinois!"

I don't really see many Mizzou fans looking at the columnist as a hero. A lot agreed with his take. Sure. I don't know you or anything, but from reading some of your posts and how people have respond ................

a

i hacked your comment because re-posting it all is just more than is necessary. Your comments are well-presented and I really don't dispute most of that. My general and main concern is over a writer who isn't accountable and is defensive when asked to be. The in-and-out of Dru Smith is not important now. Never really was. He's a good player, hardly elite. Maybe the best guy at Mizzou, which isn't getting you more than 25 pennies for your quarter.

My career as a writer/journalist/scribe is important to me. I am an emeritus, retired. I see my profession trashed, dismissed as fake news, owned by so-and-so, all those things. Hateful stuff, as in ... we are not worth birdcage lining. My associates over the years (and I know many) do not deserve that. We earned our dignity.

That makes me bitter and sad at the same time. When I see sports columnists playing into that, turning themselves into cheerleaders without pretending to care about the consequences ... even worse. Sloppy, one-sided commentary is not journalism.

Had this been about a kid's tree house in Kentucky, I'd still be upset about bad journalism.

Dru Smith has my permission to play basketball anyplace he wants.

stennisrm72
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1964

Re: StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Postby stennisrm72 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:14 pm

My last comment on this as well. I wish the direct question of can we get your approval for Dru to play this season had been asked. It doesn't sound like it was. The answer may have been yes. Who knows. We offered him the scholarship and roster spot. He declined. I can't and don't blame him for transferring. If he takes the educational opportunity of completing his undergraduate degree and get a good start on, or finish, a graduate degree then he has a nice start on his future when his basketball career is finished. Best of luck Dru. I am truly disappointed you are collateral damage in this saga.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Nov 02, 2018 12:25 pm

MISDOUU Man, now you are being both funny and ridiculous. UE should "bend the rules a little bit" Are you sure you are not my teenage son?

Ad1770
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Ad1770 » Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:54 pm

I know I said earlier last comment, but the post by Mizzou Man just really hit me in a spot that I have to let it out.

Mizzou Man, understand, while you are trying to see both sides, you are (most likely) from a different generation from most of us. In our generation, there is no “bending the rules”. You either broke them, or you didn’t. Too many “grey areas” are starting to pop up.

While I am sure that more than a few of us had to get our own switch for grandma to whoop our @$$es because we “bent the rules”, most of this generation hasn’t. Thusly, this is why we see it as breaking the rules, whereas Mizzou fans see it as bending the rules.

Also, Mizzou fans have completely shown their @$$es by tweeting out to potential Evansville recruits to attempt to dissuade them from coming. Pretty childish if you talk to me about it, and that’s saying something.

Another thing. Can your people please learn the rules before opening their mouths? When Dru announced he was transferring, UE gave him a full release. That means that he could go anywhere he chose to play. That does not allow for him to be able to play right away. What Mizzou did a few years back was not a full release since the player could not go where he wanted.

Lastly, I don’t care one way or another on this matter. If he plays, ok. If he sits, ok. He is no longer my concern as he is not at UE any longer, and a bunch of childish Mizzou fans have really turn me off on the idea of keeping up with him.
TIME TO GET IT RIGHT

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Fri Nov 02, 2018 3:16 pm

I continue to find it ironic that a university (UM) which has been on NCAA probation during the tenures of Quin Snyder and Frank Haith want Evansviile to break the rules of college basketball. Absolutely baffling.

Mizzou Man
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 2014

Postby Mizzou Man » Fri Nov 02, 2018 4:03 pm

Ad1770 wrote:I know I said earlier last comment, but the post by Mizzou Man just really hit me in a spot that I have to let it out.

Mizzou Man, understand, while you are trying to see both sides, you are (most likely) from a different generation from most of us. In our generation, there is no “bending the rules”. You either broke them, or you didn’t. Too many “grey areas” are starting to pop up.

While I am sure that more than a few of us had to get our own switch for grandma to whoop our @$$es because we “bent the rules”, most of this generation hasn’t. Thusly, this is why we see it as breaking the rules, whereas Mizzou fans see it as bending the rules.

Also, Mizzou fans have completely shown their @$$es by tweeting out to potential Evansville recruits to attempt to dissuade them from coming. Pretty childish if you talk to me about it, and that’s saying something.

Another thing. Can your people please learn the rules before opening their mouths? When Dru announced he was transferring, UE gave him a full release. That means that he could go anywhere he chose to play. That does not allow for him to be able to play right away. What Mizzou did a few years back was not a full release since the player could not go where he wanted.

Lastly, I don’t care one way or another on this matter. If he plays, ok. If he sits, ok. He is no longer my concern as he is not at UE any longer, and a bunch of childish Mizzou fans have really turn me off on the idea of keeping up with him.

Good post. I hadn't given it a lot of thought but your generational analysis seems accurate. I hate the tweeting at recruits stuff. Yeah, that is not something that I would ever entertain doing. I did try following your AD on Twitter however but he blocked me. I didn't even say anything. Maybe he just has had enough with Mizzou fans altogether. Heck, I even got blocked by a poster on here I am pretty sure. I at least typed words to earn that one though.

I also agree with you about some of the terminology being confusing. Mizzou fans have said that UE is "blocking" Dru but that isn't accurate. I mean I heard it that way last Friday night (maybe by the same source as BenFred...hmm) but as it turns out they aren't blocking him.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader

Postby letsgoAces » Sat Nov 03, 2018 9:47 am

Ad1770 wrote:I know I said earlier last comment, but the post by Mizzou Man just really hit me in a spot that I have to let it out.

I am going to assume you and I are about from the same generation so I enjoyed your take on the "generational differences" which may in play, at least to a degree. But the flip side of this for me, is that sort of implies a "rigid" and no room for "grace" if you will, mentality. I don't see myself that way. Yeah...rules are rules. My kids know that....but I live in the real world and sometimes exceptions must be made. But what is happening here in the case of UM is a clear case of deceit...it is nothing else less than that. Schools that are members of the NCAA know the guidelines...they are what they are until they are changed. It's not about what I wish or think the rules should be....but their are ways to make effective changes happen without going to extreme measure. The NCAA has been petitioned about the transfer rule and I think a change is forthcoming.

To say this another way as I take "generational differences' into consideration. If one of my kids wants to stay out later than what I normally might allow, they can come talk to me about it. I might say yes, I might say no. But don't try to deceive me when you try come home through the backdoor.

Return to “The Aces”