StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Acescott
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Re: StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Postby Acescott » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:44 am

I'll have to say that over the last couple of years I regarded Dru Smith as one of my all time favorite Aces players. Perhaps there is no reason to resent his departure or any role in this current sit out waiver fiasco, but I sure lost what little interest I had in following his career.

As for the Post writer, just admit you were wrong. What am I talking about, nobody does that in this day and age..

wildbill
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1975

Re: StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Postby wildbill » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:46 am

This article is FAKE NEWS......

Plain and simple.
:x The Boys Are Coming Back :lol:

Mizzou Man
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 2014

Postby Mizzou Man » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:52 am

So I was curious about another take on this from the Post-Dispatch so I posed this question to the Mizzou beat writer Dave Matter today and got a pretty good response (I thought so at least).

Here was my question: "Hi Dave, obviously the Dru Smith situation with Evansville is getting a lot of attention this week. While I sort of understand the UE stance on this, what did you think of their press release yesterday? It seemed a little over the top to me. They really went out of their way to paint Mizzou in a bad light. Both Mark Spencer and Walter McCarty have taken thinly veiled shots at Mizzou now while neither Jim Sterk or Cuonzo Martin have said a negative thing about Evansville. I felt like they could have been a little more diplomatic. Am I wrong?"

And here was his response: "I understand why Evansville doesn't cooperate with MU's waiver request. Mid-major programs don't want to be raided of their talent every time one of their players averages 10 points a game. At the same time, Evansville had a chance to respond to questions from Ben Frederickson before he wrote his column ... and instead waited until after he wrote his column that criticized the school's handling of the situation. I'm always suspicious of a school's honesty when they wait until after they're criticized publicly. Also, the notion that Smith had any role in the hiring of McCarty or approved of his hire is a strange argument. Why would a sophomore player have input in the hire? Especially a player the school feared would transfer? It's my personal opinion that any player who wishes to transfer after the school fires the head coach who recruited that player should be free to transfer and play immediately. Schools can argue that the national letter of intent clearly states that athletes sign to play for a school, not a coach, but that's an unrealistic view of how the process works.
All that being said, Missouri's waiver case would have seemed more genuine had MU put in the request much earlier than three weeks ago. MU clearly saw that other transfers were getting approved for waivers and decided to throw its hat in the ring."

I realize this situation is getting stale and I don't want to take away from the excitement for basketball. I don't really plan on staying here much longer. You have been cool to interact with. Just trying to chime in a bit with the Mizzou side of things.

Mizzou Man
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 2014

Postby Mizzou Man » Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:57 am

Tom Servo
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1991

Postby Tom Servo » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:09 pm

I appreciate your input Mizzou Man...however BenFred is completely missing the point here.

If Mizzou directly asked the questions they asked, UE had two options. 1. Lie or 2. Tell the truth

The run-off standard obviously doesn't apply here, Dru was definitely given an opportunity to re-new his scholly, and McCarty did go to great lengths to persuade him to stay. The bottom line was he couldn't pass up playing in the SEC, which anyone can understand. I get it. So given that, he sits a year and then plays two, like 99% of transfers have to do. Again, given the questions that were asked from Mizzou's side what does this guy expect UE to do?? They would have to give false information in order to satisfy what Mizzou was looking for.

He needs to just stop and move on. also, I agree with the above posts about the official statement. In something like this, you would want someone to take great care and make sure they have gone through all the evidence before giving a statement. You don't want someone just shooting from the hip like BenFred did and is continuing to do.

Also, those tweets are really not fair to bring into play, those were all posts after BenFred's UE bashing article was released which made it sound like Mark Spencer was fighting the NCAA to keep Dru from playing, which wasn't the case. If you're Troy Taylor and you read that, what would he think? Now that the full picture is out there I'm sure a lot of people probably regret what they put out there. I imagine UE didn't want to comment because they didn't want to throw anyone under the bus, that includes Mizzou, Dru and all involved. Once that trash article was released they had no choice.
Last edited by Tom Servo on Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
8-19 .....1986
16-12 ....1987 --- MCC Champ
21-8 .....1988 --- NIT
25-6 .....1989 --- NCAA
Key point, be patient, never judge a coach on Year 1!

Aces44
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1992

Postby Aces44 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:12 pm

Mizzou Man - answer the question about the delay in construction!!!

Literally Ben Fred gets one thing correct for every 5 things he gets wrong or misinterprets.

211N-69
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 211N-69 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:13 pm

Mizzou Man wrote:So I was curious about another take on this from the Post-Dispatch so I posed this question to the Mizzou beat writer Dave Matter today and got a pretty good response (I thought so at least).

Here was my question: "Hi Dave, obviously the Dru Smith situation with Evansville is getting a lot of attention this week. While I sort of understand the UE stance on this, what did you think of their press release yesterday? It seemed a little over the top to me. They really went out of their way to paint Mizzou in a bad light. Both Mark Spencer and Walter McCarty have taken thinly veiled shots at Mizzou now while neither Jim Sterk or Cuonzo Martin have said a negative thing about Evansville. I felt like they could have been a little more diplomatic. Am I wrong?"

And here was his response: "I understand why Evansville doesn't cooperate with MU's waiver request. Mid-major programs don't want to be raided of their talent every time one of their players averages 10 points a game. At the same time, Evansville had a chance to respond to questions from Ben Frederickson before he wrote his column ... and instead waited until after he wrote his column that criticized the school's handling of the situation. I'm always suspicious of a school's honesty when they wait until after they're criticized publicly. Also, the notion that Smith had any role in the hiring of McCarty or approved of his hire is a strange argument. Why would a sophomore player have input in the hire? Especially a player the school feared would transfer? It's my personal opinion that any player who wishes to transfer after the school fires the head coach who recruited that player should be free to transfer and play immediately. Schools can argue that the national letter of intent clearly states that athletes sign to play for a school, not a coach, but that's an unrealistic view of how the process works.
All that being said, Missouri's waiver case would have seemed more genuine had MU put in the request much earlier than three weeks ago. MU clearly saw that other transfers were getting approved for waivers and decided to throw its hat in the ring."

I realize this situation is getting stale and I don't want to take away from the excitement for basketball. I don't really plan on staying here much longer. You have been cool to interact with. Just trying to chime in a bit with the Mizzou side of things.

Were the Aces being raided?
This reply more than infers U of E was defending itself against that.

letsgoAces
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1969

Postby letsgoAces » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:17 pm

E-Villan wrote:
Mizzou Man wrote:Why didn't Evansville just tell Ben Frederickson what they put out in the press release on Monday when he contacted him? A simple "glad you asked, here is what happened..." would have seemed better than "no comment." Then two days later you craft a polished statement that explains everything. Why not head off the story initially? Regardless of why it happened as it did, I can't really fault Ben Frederickson with writing the column that he did. The Evansville side of the story would have been useful. But you know, you kind of have to provide that to him first.

Wise people should always calculate a response before just throwing it out there. That is why I usually don't get called wise. I am grateful that we do have such people in our athletic department.

I seriously doubt anyone at UE took releasing any information on what UM had asked them to do lightly. No one likes throwing anyone under the bus.

Would it have done any good anyway? BenFred got the response, and again, twisted it to fit his agenda-driven narrative...and your demented band of loons still do nothing but say "so?... you're still petty"

I get the motive, he is trying to sell papers to Missouri fans....we just aren't going to rollover and be part of it.

Outstanding post...my sentiments exactly.

I

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Postby E-Villan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:40 pm

Mizzou Man wrote:And also the latest from Ben:

https://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns ... 704.html#1

And not once does he mention the root of all of this...that Mizzou wanted UE to make a false statement on why he left. A false statement that could easily be confirmed as false with a simple google search. BenFred even goes as far as referencing an old JoJo Gentry piece. If he is looking at Evansville media reports from the spring, he would have found plenty of public comments from both Spencer and McCarty confirming they wanted Dru to come back. You don't think someone from the NCAA could have easily found that. Yes, let's perjure ourselves to help Mizzou out. Again, just trying to sell papers to a Mizzou market.

Acescott
Ford Center Regular
Fan Since: 1971

Postby Acescott » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:43 pm

So BF states Evansville within the rules on their reaction but that college basketball is changing, changing fast. Sounds like we are accused of being suckers by trying to go by NCAA requirements instead of play the system. Then again maybe it is all so far gone such that any semblance of rule following is damaging.

Return to “The Aces”