StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Discussions of all the Aces sports
Aces44
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1992

Re: StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Postby Aces44 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:36 pm

Mizzou Man wrote:
Aces44 wrote:Dear Mizzou Man,
Would you like to comment on the highway construction delays in Ozark County?

Oh, you have no comment on a non-story? Got it.

Not sure that I understand how this relates to the matter at hand but I did check the MoDOT travel map and I did not see anything indicating construction delays in Ozark County. So there you have it.

If you can’t understand how this relates, you are most definitely part of the problem.
I gave you a lot of credit for coming on this forum and seemingly looking for intelligent conversation on the matter. At this point, I’m backing off that credit as you clearly are sticking your head in the sand.

Ben Fred asked for a quote on a non-issue then declared that it was fishy that they didn’t respond. Additionally, he has dismissed statements directly from the UE AD as false when there is no way for him to confirm or deny.

I will stick with my original assumption of Ben Fred that he is a pedophile and that you are hiding something about the highway construction. It’s almost like the construction has something to do with Ben Fred’s sexual
proclivity.

Now, if you will excuse me, I need to get back to my article I am writing for the Post Dispatch.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1967

Re: StL Post-Dispatch: UE should "do the right thing on Mizou transfer Dru Smith"

Postby E-Villan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:40 pm

Mizzou Man brings an opinion from the MIzzou Beatwriter to validate the BS BenFred is spewing. Doubtful a Mizzou guy is going to throw a guy pimping Mizzou to the largest city in the state under the bus...but interesting nonetheless.

You did spark my curiousity on non-biased public opinion. I took a look at a school board that is currently not affiliated with either of us, sits just about in the middle, and would be aware of any Post-Dispatch story...SLU. Seems the opinion of non-biased Billiken fans points guilt clearly in the direction of Columbia. They got 2 and 1/2 pages to it. You can start about halfway down page 1 if you wish.

https://www.billikens.com/forum/index.p ... d-on-590/&

Mizzou Man
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 2014

Postby Mizzou Man » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:50 pm

E-Villan wrote:Mizzou Man brings an opinion from the MIzzou Beatwriter to validate the BS BenFred is spewing. Doubtful a Mizzou guy is going to throw a guy pimping Mizzou to the largest city in the state under the bus...but interesting nonetheless.

You did spark my curiousity on non-biased public opinion. I took a look at a school board that is currently not affiliated with either of us, sits just about in the middle, and would be aware of any Post-Dispatch story...SLU. Seems the opinion of non-biased Billiken fans points guilt clearly in the direction of Columbia. They got 2 and 1/2 pages to it. You can start about halfway down page 1 if you wish.

Of all the absurdity in this thread, referring to what SLU fans think as "non-biased public opinion" takes the cake. They absolutely hate Mizzou basketball. A SLU fan starts a thread about Travis Ford doing a radio interview and it ends up being entirely about Mizzou. Classic.

PurpleWhiskers
Road Tripper
Fan Since: 1977

Postby PurpleWhiskers » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:56 pm

Mizzou Man wrote:So I was curious about another take on this from the Post-Dispatch so I posed this question to the Mizzou beat writer Dave Matter today and got a pretty good response (I thought so at least).

Here was my question: "Hi Dave, obviously the Dru Smith situation with Evansville is getting a lot of attention this week. While I sort of understand the UE stance on this, what did you think of their press release yesterday? It seemed a little over the top to me. They really went out of their way to paint Mizzou in a bad light. Both Mark Spencer and Walter McCarty have taken thinly veiled shots at Mizzou now while neither Jim Sterk or Cuonzo Martin have said a negative thing about Evansville. I felt like they could have been a little more diplomatic. Am I wrong?"

And here was his response: "I understand why Evansville doesn't cooperate with MU's waiver request. Mid-major programs don't want to be raided of their talent every time one of their players averages 10 points a game. At the same time, Evansville had a chance to respond to questions from Ben Frederickson before he wrote his column ... and instead waited until after he wrote his column that criticized the school's handling of the situation. I'm always suspicious of a school's honesty when they wait until after they're criticized publicly. Also, the notion that Smith had any role in the hiring of McCarty or approved of his hire is a strange argument. Why would a sophomore player have input in the hire? Especially a player the school feared would transfer? It's my personal opinion that any player who wishes to transfer after the school fires the head coach who recruited that player should be free to transfer and play immediately. Schools can argue that the national letter of intent clearly states that athletes sign to play for a school, not a coach, but that's an unrealistic view of how the process works.
All that being said, Missouri's waiver case would have seemed more genuine had MU put in the request much earlier than three weeks ago. MU clearly saw that other transfers were getting approved for waivers and decided to throw its hat in the ring."

I realize this situation is getting stale and I don't want to take away from the excitement for basketball. I don't really plan on staying here much longer. You have been cool to interact with. Just trying to chime in a bit with the Mizzou side of things.

What I've learned from you in your brief time here is that Dru made a poor choice to attend Missouri. He is a talented player and would surely be attractive to a P5 school with integrity. He deserves better.

Aces44
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1992

Postby Aces44 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:05 pm

PurpleWhiskers wrote:What I've learned from you in your brief time here is that Dru made a poor choice to attend Missouri. He is a talented player and would surely be attractive to a P5 school with integrity. He deserves better.

Agreed. Mizzou is a train wreck.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader

Postby E-Villan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:11 pm

Mizzou Man wrote:
E-Villan wrote:Mizzou Man brings an opinion from the MIzzou Beatwriter to validate the BS BenFred is spewing. Doubtful a Mizzou guy is going to throw a guy pimping Mizzou to the largest city in the state under the bus...but interesting nonetheless.

Of all the absurdity in this thread, referring to what SLU fans think as "non-biased public opinion" takes the cake. They absolutely hate Mizzou basketball. A SLU fan starts a thread about Travis Ford doing a radio interview and it ends up being entirely about Mizzou. Classic.

Yes, using SLU opinion is much more absurd than bringing in the freaking Mizzou beatwriter. I would refer you to the Bradley board, who is also pretty much universal in the same opinion, but you would dismiss that as another Valley school. Unfortunately, glancing at a couple of SEC boards, none of them still don't care enough about you to even notice.

E-Villan
Head Cheerleader

Postby E-Villan » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:18 pm

I will add one more thought. You do seem correct in that the SLU fans really hate you guys. I didn't realize that until today. I was aware that Missouri State fans feel the same way about you as well. I am sure you will dismiss it as hating the in-state big brother, but you don't see that kind of rampant animosity here towards Indiana, or from the Bradley and SIU fans towards Illinois.

What is it that makes all of these fanbases "absolutely hate" Mizzou as you so stated? I am sure it has nothing to do with cheating and a deranged fanbase.

Mizzou Man
Casual Fan
Fan Since: 2014

Postby Mizzou Man » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:25 pm

E-Villan wrote:
Mizzou Man wrote:

Yes, using SLU opinion is much more absurd than bringing in the freaking Mizzou beatwriter. I would refer you to the Bradley board, who is also pretty much universal in the same opinion, but you would dismiss that as another Valley school. Unfortunately, glancing at a couple of SEC boards, none of them still don't care enough about you to even notice.

Sorry, I see more of what you were trying to do now. Mine was from a journalist but you are right he is the Mizzou beat writer for the Post-Dispatch. I was simply stating that SLU fans certainly aren't unbiased. I haven't read Bradley Fans yet (I think that is what it is called) but I have read several other MVC boards including MVCfans. I am very curious what other schools think about it.

I am not going to trash Evansville despite the things on here I read about Mizzou.

Aces101
Head Cheerleader
Fan Since: 1980

Postby Aces101 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:26 pm

I checked with some Florida fans and their reaction was Mizzou - who cares, it’s Mizzou

211N-69
Bobblehead Owner
Fan Since: 1964

Postby 211N-69 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:28 pm

Fan boards being no different worldwide, they generally draw people in who have similar viewpoints, though I do at times differ with the mind-think here, if that's such a term. In any case, you won't find many who think lying or contriving to undermine the rules is a good thing. The writer who stirred up this smell is taking the tack now that, sure U of E was following the rules, but since the "climate is changing', they should just go with the flow.

The climate isn't changing if the fans, the universities and people who matter continue to assert that athletic programs at mid-majors should not be farm systems for the conferences that have billion-dollar TV contracts.

I hate to entertain the argument that Dru was part of a tampering, but there's enough crumbs around to suggest somebody was eating cake. Honestly don't care if the kid was lured to Columbia or if he went there because he didn't really like what Walt was planning ... though for the life of me, how could a guy with that talent NOT want to play for a guy with Walt's pedigree and history?

I don't think too many mid-majors are going to be coerced into this in the near future, and U of E might be the reason. I am a bit hesitant to glorify Spencer's position on this and I think U of E will survive nicely against the 'petty' principle. I am not so sure Mizzou will handle this any better than it has, which is sort of sad.

Return to “The Aces”